Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Sammy Studios just announced an all-new online First Person Shooter for the Playstation 2 titled, Darkwatch: Curse of the West. It is a cinematic FPS with a different angle from other fps's. It blends the genres of Vampire Horror and the Wild West. How this will exactly play into the visual presentation is anybody's guess. All we can say is it's gonna take an extra flare of design style to pull this off.

Here are some details direct from Sammy:
"Darkwatch: Curse of the West introduces the Darkwatch, a secret strike-force that has vigilantly protected man from evil incarnate since the dawn of civilization. Their newest and deadliest agent is Jericho Cross, an outlaw gunslinger pulled into their ranks by an unfortunate close encounter with a vampire lord. To save the West, and his own soul from damnation, Jericho must hunt the vampire that bit him through an American frontier suddenly overrun by his undead minions. At his disposal is the advanced, deadly technology of the Darkwatch, including an arsenal of powerful assault vehicles and enhanced versions of Western weapons, along with supernatural vampire abilities and a trusty undead horse. Players will experience an action-packed “living West” in Darkwatch: Curse of the West with massive environments, non-linear missions, dynamic enemy and non-player-character artificial intelligence (A.I.) affected by a player reputation system, and precision gunplay with location-specific damage."

The game will use a wide range of weapons as well as allow for vehicles and horse mounted attacks. Also users will be able to utilize superhuman abilities. The game will feature online multiplayer for the playstation 2 and is slated for release in Q4 of 2004.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:58 pm
quote : #2
i always wondered why the wild west isnt utilized more (and better) than it is. its the perfect back drop for a fps. smore-billowing flint locks, sneaky darengers, cranking gatling guns and HORSE CHASES!!! id like to see some authentic weapons in this title. constatnly jamming pistols and rifels IMPOSABLE to reload. but maybe thats just the history buff in me.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:12 pm
quote : #3
masterchief wrote:
i always wondered why the wild west isnt utilized more (and better) than it is. its the perfect back drop for a fps. smore-billowing flint locks, sneaky darengers, cranking gatling guns and HORSE CHASES!!! id like to see some authentic weapons in this title. constatnly jamming pistols and rifels IMPOSABLE to reload. but maybe thats just the history buff in me.

I'm with you on this one. I'd like to see more historical settings done. Done right with all weeapons and vehicles and stuff. WW2 is so overdone.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:15 pm
quote : #4
Apple wrote:
WW2 is so overdone.

AMEN, can I get an amen from the crowd? *crowd claps*
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:57 pm
quote : #5
I like Medal of Honor and all, but isn't it about time we focus on something else outside of the the 'big war'?

I read about Darkwatch in GMR today, and I'm pretty excited for it. Looks original and full of promise, unlike *cough* MoH: Rising Sun *cough*. The horse chases could be great fun, and the ornate weaponery is pretty neat.

-TheMytho

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:10 pm
quote : #6
I want a game set in Ankh-Morpork and be Sam Vimes or something. Maybe be Death? Hmmm? Ya Ankh would be good because it's urban but not modern and there's so many possiblities. (Terry Pratchet books. Just ignore me if you've never read his books.)

Also, where's the sword fighting games online? I mean wth? We NEED a good swordfighter that's competetive and with FPS elements. NO we don't need LOTR style nor anything with X button mashing. We need a sword fighter where you use both analog sticks and the back buttons. The shape buttons sheath/change swords and go through inventories. The D-Pad can change stance. OMG I WANT ONE!

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:31 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
AMEN, can I get an amen from the crowd? *crowd claps*

AMEN!!! (kinda)

i agree the central european theartere is getting really stale. but there was more to ww2 than that, is was called a world war for a reason.
the rommel campaigns would be cool. and i like where the moh series is going. id also like to see italy used more. many american men gave their lives to secure that penensula, it deserves some attention and respect.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:43 pm
quote : #8
will it have cap the flag
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:05 pm
quote : #9
SolidSnake wrote:
will it have cap the flag

not sure yet we are still waiting on more details

Posted Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:40 am:

Actually I just got more details....TRAILER!!! and official website up Very Happy

Official website:
http://www.sammystudios.com/games/darkwatch/
Trailer:
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/627/627256/vids_1.html?fromint=1#

The navigations sux...took me forever to find it...its the starpoints on the badge there.