Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:05 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yeah, I know, it's not out until tomorrow, but... let's jsut say that working at a game store right next to a rental facility has it's... "perks".

Anyway, I played two player co-op with my roomate, and the game was fun enough, but the camera sucked major ass. The missions were fun, after an introductory level as Human Ben Grimm on the spaceship you start out with a "prologue", taking you through with each character one by one so you learn their powers.

The control is ok, the character movement is nice, and the attacks are pretty cool. All of them can be upgraded with "points". The game plays out a lot like X-Men Legends, only not as good. Most of the missions are limited to two team members (which the game chooses), but some of them have all four (which you can switch between on the D-Pad). Scattered throughout the levels are "F4" spots, each characters has a different color. Running onto them and hitting circle with the right character opens a tiny little mini-game. Mr. Fantastic "Hacks" computers, Sue Storm uses her force fields, Johnny Storm lights things on fire/welds through metal, and Ben Grimm just smashes shit. It's kind of fun.

You have a set amount of lives, and then it's game over. Unlike X-Men Legends, you can't pay points to revive characters. The points system kind of sucks, however, because the poijts you use to buy bonus stuff like comic covers/pages, cast interviews, and trailers are the SAME POINTS you use to buy upgrades for your characters through the game. If you want to do anything besides suck, you'll have to play through more than once to open anything up.

The music is ok, the sound is nothing spectacular, but the thumps and thuds are satisfactory. Doctor Doom is a total badass. Jessica Alba is nowhere near as hot in the game as she is in real life. Oh, also, THE CAMERA IS UTTER SHIT.

I just figured I'd give you guys a quick and dirty mini-review so you don't run out and drop full price on it tomorrow (or, actually, later today). I'd definately say it's a decent rental, but I wouldn't not reccomend spending fifty on it.

dwachill
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:19 am
quote : #2
Damn, it looked like it was going to be a great game.
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:11 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
It reminds me how good X-Men Legends is.

It seems like it's set in the Ultimate Universe, because Ultimate Nick Fury showed up in one of the cutscenes.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:14 pm
quote : #4
i bet this would be a great rental...

I still think the movie is looking good.
Posted:
Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 pm
quote : #5
I saw this game at GameStop. Picked the game up and turned it around to look at back knew soon as i saw first in-game pictures it wasnt worth buying.
Posted:
Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:47 pm
quote : #6
It looks like an old style beat'em up from the early 90's....no thanks.