Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
MeltedIce
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ok this worked for me and someone else on this forum. If your ps2 has stopped reading discs open up your ps2 and clean the lens with a wet Q-Tip. Let the lens dry, and try it out. It will work, trust me. Alright Later

Final Fantasy XI:
Name: Meltedice
Race/Class: Hume
Server: Midgardsormr
lanzarlaluna
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:35 pm
quote : #2
Lens are comprised of highly sensitive glass and usually have a anti-glare coating, much like a camera lens. A Q-Tip may seems soft, but it actually still scratches a laser lens quite easily. I wouldn't recommend the Q-Tip trick, but at camera stores they sell lens cleaning tissue. I would use that instead.

MeltedIce, had you already tried a lens cleaning CD before you tried using a Q-Tip? It seems like it's sort of the same concept (ie. brushing the dust off the lens).

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:02 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea i heard cleaning the lense is one of the key ways to fix your ps2. That and also fiddling with the while gear.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:03 pm
quote : #4
I have tried using DVD cleaner discs and they worked as a temporary solution but the best way to go is to just use a microfibre cloth, similar to what lanzarlaluna said.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:14 pm
quote : #5
the dvd lens cleaner worked great for me, got it from the dollar store (for a buck) i think it was a pannisonic lens cleaner it has two brushes on it .....

MeltedIce
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #6
A wet Q-Tip isn't rough enough to scratch it. I read it somewhere on a site that a wet one is perfect for it. I'l try and get the link.

Final Fantasy XI:
Name: Meltedice
Race/Class: Hume
Server: Midgardsormr
Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:41 pm
quote : #7
Q-Tip scratches no matter what . If you continue to use the q-tip then it will probably stop working down the road.

wattsy
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:02 pm
quote : #8
that only works with dirty lenses i would surjest doing dat but if it still does'nt read its probley a scho-10000 the oldest verson (i think the 4 letters are wrong but they all have the same letters on all the versons so its the namber that means somthing) im not sure if it happens to the new on anyway if its been on for more then 48 hours there is only one way to fix it throw it out buy a new one sorry if it happend to u like mine Sad
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:21 pm
quote : #9
Worked for me... there's a white disc you can tweak too if you still have problems.

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:20 pm
quote : #10
I just use those CD cleaner things that have a brush on it. I'll keep my PS2 sealed thank you!
gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:36 pm
quote : #11
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know this is a uber old thread but I have a question about DREs.I have a launch ps2 had it for about a year stopped working right took it apart cleaned the lens and everything,worked slightly but never played blue bottom discs.And the other day I decided to take it apart agin just to fiddle.I noticed this: when I move the white gear and I turn off my ps2 the gear spins around and resets to the default position.which is probably the reson why I won't play any discs at all yes even silver bottom discs.A launch ps2 is the one with no heat sinks over the processor.