Page Location: Home > PENDING DELETION > Final Fantasy XI Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm thinking that we (or lordnikon) should pick an official server that all Online Consoles members get themselves onto once they get Final Fantasy XI. This way, all OC members would be able to get together online.

Let me explain really quick (or really long, using the next three paragraphs) -- just in case anyone doesn't understand the architecture of FFXI -- then I'll get back to my suggestion. Many people were excited when they heard that FFXI would be online, massively multiplayer, and cross-platform (meaning that PC and PS2 players connect to the same servers and play together). However, there is one huge caveat. There are a number of different servers (over 30), and though each contains an identical world and identical quests, they are essentially separate universes (or parallel dimensions, if you will). They are not linked, and players on one server cannot see or interact with any players on a different server. Players are randomly assigned to a server when they begin a game, and for the most part, they cannot travel from one to another. If you do want to travel to a new server, you will need to start all over (losing all progress on your character).

As I understand it, there are only a two ways to select your server. The first is with a "World Pass." This is a code that is purchased by a player who is already in the game. That code is then shared with another person (via email, etc.), and if they enter that code when starting a new character, then they will go to the server that the World Pass was purchased on. Note that World Passes become more expensive on servers that have more players on them (this probably is done in an effort to keep the player load balanced between servers). Each World Pass does come with a number of uses (more than four). Remember, you cannot use a World Pass to "move" your character; you will have to start an entirely new character on the new server.

The other way to move is via NPCs called "World Shifters." They only appear on crowded servers (each server has a maximum capacity of 20,000 players) and will transport any willing players to a newly created (and mostly empty) server (you don't get to choose which one). They will offer to transport you to a given server and you can either accept or decline. I think that you do get to keep your character intact when you move this way, but it is totally random and you absolutely cannot count on finding a World Shifter that will move you to the world you want.

The moral of the story is that if you want to play with your friends (or any other group of people), you all should figure out which server you want to play on right at the beginning, before anyone builds up their character too much. So, what I am suggesting is that someone designate a server to be the offical OC server. That way people will be able to play together (as I said above). Getting to the same server would most likely have to be done using World Passes purchased by loyal OC FFXI players. In any case, I think it would be worth doing. In an effort to start this process, I will list the first 28 server names (unfortunately I don't have a complete list, and I think this is missing about four or so servers):

1) Bahahut
2) Shiva
3) Titan
4) Ramuh
5) Phoenix
6) Carbuncle
7) Fenrir
8) Slyph
9) Valefor
10) Alexander
11) Leviathan
12) Odin
13) Ifrit
14) Diablos
15) Caitsith
16) Quetzalcoatl
17) Siren
18) Unicorn
19) Gilgamesh
20) Ragnarok
21) Pandemonium
22) Garuda
23) Cerberus
24) Kjata
25) Bismarck
26) Seraph
27) Lakshmi
28) Midgardsormr

There are more than this now and I don't know much about them (as they make new ones as needed). All I can say is that I heard Phoenix is one of the oldest and most crowded, and Asura (not listed above) currently has a good medium-sized population with a good mix of Japanese and English speaking players. Of course all of this can change and I'm sure there are many other good servers.

So, any thoughts on this? Would lordnikon or anyone else like to suggest a name for the first "official" OC server for Final Fantasy XI?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:35 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know nothing at the moment about FF-XI online. I would love to beef up the support here for the game. It would be great to start focusing on it some for those gamers wanting to play it and also talk about it here at OC. The main hurdle....well not really a hurdle....is I won't be playing this game online. For 1 the concept of FF doesn't interest me too much, the only game that is remotely like an rpg that I play is PSO, and I just don't have the time to tack on another game like this. I was even thinking of getting champions of norrath, however I think my time would be better spent playing PSO with the cube site gamers, and setting up games on the myriad of racers, shooters, and puzzle games across dc and ps2.

If anyone, (maybe you martian if your gonna be playing FF-XI on the PS2), would like to headup covering this game here I would be more than willing to help in any graphics creation, forum areas, site additions or whatever. Kinda looking for someone here to head that up if they are interested in getting FF-XI an active game here at OC, since I myself will not be able to do this. Plus this site is for the gamers and I never meant this site to be run all by me, I am trying to make it so people can come in and express themselves...set up clans....and all types of stuff so the gamers have control over running this community. Which is in the end how I want it to be.

Any thoughts martian? or anyone else?
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:19 pm
quote : #3
Whoa. Wait a minute. Slow down! PS2 players CAN play with PC players!? You're kidding me! Man, all the more reason to get this! My friend has FFXI for the PC, and I would love to play this with him. But yea, a central OC server would be a very good idea, newer servers are usually empty, but they may have issues...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:12 am
quote : #4
Well yea whatever you guys need from me just holler, i'm here to support.
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:06 am
quote : #5
I already have the game. Razz

How about we set a Online Consoles Linkshell up on Ragnarok? I already have a character there, and getting World Passes wouldn't be a problem. Plus, most of the people on my Linkshell (What Final Fantasy calls clans or guilds) are either level 30+, anti-social or idiotic. (Shout-out to the morons who left my party in a dungeon and almost got me killed. Sad )

-TheMytho

Last edited by TheMytho on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:13 pm
quote : #6
Well, it definitely seems like we should have some OnlineConsoles support here, and an official OC server.

I'm a little biased against Ragnarok just because there is already a big MMORPG called "Ragnarok" and I'd be afraid people would get confused. TheMytho could just start a new character on the new server for an extra buck, right? Very Happy Of course, since that's the first suggestion from someone actually playing the game (albeit on a PC, not on a console, right?), it might carry more weight than my own opinion.

As for getting World Passes, it looks like it's not going to be that huge of a deal. We could just have OC members PM the codes to other OC members that need them. (Either that or post them in the forums, but having a policy of doing it over PM would help to bring people into the OC community, I imagine.)

And of course, I'm here to support however necessary, too.

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:52 pm
quote : #7
I don't have the time to start a new character. Sorry about this.

Hopefully it will not be an issue though. If someone else who has/is getting the game could join me, that'd be great. I'm always one for more company. Or is everyone holding out for the PS2 version? Wink

-TheMytho

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:13 pm
quote : #8
When I start playing I'm gonna be on Quetzalcoatl no matter what. When I start a second character I might just go the random way and meet new people.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43 pm
quote : #9
So Buddha, why are you going Quetzalcoatl?

TheMytho, how did you end up on Ragnarok? I mean, of course I do like the name, me being Viking and all. Wink

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:55 pm
quote : #10
Some friends of mine from another message board play on Ragnarok. I honestly don't like most of the inhabitatants on my server (anti-social, lame, etc.), which is why I want to get an OnlineConsoles Linkshell going there. If there was ever a way to transport your character intact to another server, I would do so in a heartbeat. Smile

-TheMytho

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:04 pm
quote : #11
Yes, it is indeed lame that you can't do that. Why make a MMORPG if you're going to fragment it like that? Ah.

Anyway, I'm sorry there aren't a lot of good folks to play with there. Lame again.

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:48 pm
quote : #12
My cousin and his friend plays on that server. Plus they can help me out right away.

wattsy
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:41 pm
quote : #13
is ffxi good? iv got all the others
Posted:
Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:32 pm
quote : #14
wattsy wrote:
is ffxi good? iv got all the others

Its kinda like the others but then its not. Gameplay is different, the world is huge, the story will never end, you can choose your heros race, job, looks, many quests that you can play, probally tons of weapons and armor, and you can play with other people obviously including PC FFXI people. I like it I play it about every week at my cousins. I would recommend it if you like other online games like Everquest, PSO, ect.
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:13 pm
quote : #15
I've relocated to Pandemonium and I'm willing to buy new members world passes. Smile I'm the only OC member on there, but the rest of the gang I usually hang around with are a group of fine players.

I don't know how much longer I'll be power-playing (my own term that originated from an obsessed friend on Everquest. means devoting your heart, soul and mind to this game) on FFXI, especially with the nearing release of Doom 3 and my other personal Hell (band camp). But hey, if your interested, get acquanited with our group while we're still on summer break! Mr. Green

-Mytho