1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The original PSone DUALSHOCK, is the best sony playstation controller. Ever notice how the DUALSHOCK 2 controller's buttons are just TOO squishy...like you press down hard enough and the buttons implode...also the controller is very light.

My PS2 controller recently went crazy on me....it basically is malfunctioning...the buttons are no longer responsive and it is like its on rapid fire sometimes. It's like having a mentally handicapped relative in a grocery store with you in the chips section....i mean....its fact of life but....something has to be done to remedy the situation.....or else doritos would be everywhere!

So I had to do something about this controller issue....games were unplayable. Kontact had told me that people say the original DUALSHOCK 1's are the best (simply labled as DUALSHOCK). I ran out to walmart and picked myself up a fresh PSone dualshock....

Came home...man is it sturdy....nice and solid and a lot heavier than the DS2. Plus the buttons are much more clickier and the analogs are less stiff and more fluid.

If your having controller problems...and lagged firing response or in a driving game...your accelerator seems to drop off and stop while driving a car....most likely its your cheap ass fucking DS2.

I recommend getting a DS1 they seem far sturdier and are much more responsive. I had played with my PS1 for a long time...those controllers were built Ford TUFF(just an analogy that came off the top of my head). I mean my PS1 controller that came with my original PS1 system is still here....its a standard non dual shock and I use it when friends come over and its still in perfect working condition. I know what a PS1 controller feels like and when I got my PS2 and started playing and even said...."man this controller just feels wierd". Sure enough...because it was total shit.

The best situation to try out a DS1 is if you only have 1 controller and need a spare. Which is kinda the situation I was in anway so it was a win win situation.

Plus now I can play tribes again. Seriously......it was bad...i was online throwing grenades at everyone....killing teamates...not being able to fully jet into the air while screaming over and over and over "I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!...I'll Attack!..." Which for those of you who don't know is Square repeatedly in voice chat.

So this is an initial test of the DS1....I just got it so....only time will tell if it indeed holds up as well as it currently feels in my hands. My bet is it will. Great controller.

Posted Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:01 pm:

Also i got my PS2 a year ago...so most likely its late model PS2 Dualshock 2's that are built poorly...since I had played on my brothers first generation PS2 forever and his controllers are still working fine.
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:03 pm
quote : #2
I think the DS2 buttons feel sticky partly because every button is analog, even the X, O, etc. And as a result, the DS1 buttons feel clickier because they are digital. But I could just be full of shit. Very Happy

I do agree, though. The squishiness is rather disconcerting. It gave me the heeby jeebies whilst accelerating during those rather long GTAIII sessions.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:58 pm
quote : #3
yeah, it feels "squishy" because there pressure sencitive. comes in handy for the gta series. but yours is the first complaint ive ever heard adout the DS2. and my DS2 has hundreds of hours of play time and ive never had a single problem or complaint. and ive droped it mant times, and i have a concrete floor!
maybe you just got a lemon.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:21 pm
quote : #4
Yea, I like my DS2 also, a nice controller, though my WaveBird (GC) fits my hands MUCH better... I didn't know that you could use a DS1 for PS2 games.. interesting.

YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:22 am
quote : #5
hmmm ive had nuthing but bad exp. with DS2 first the one i got with my ps2 the rubber analog stuff came off the sticks and then it just started breaking into pieces... second controller i got nyko air flow ... same thing happned analog rubber came off... so i was like maybe im being to rough on it.. which i think was the case... prob. from tryin to krack ssomeones head off on ncaa 2004 online lol so theni got a emerald clear DS2 and it lasted... then it malfunctioned... i think cus i was spraying windex on it directly lol so now i just bought a new DS2 controller so maybe my exp. with is cus of me but i stlll think they are made poorly illl try out a DS controller i heard they are good.
Posted:
Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:13 pm
quote : #6
I love my Dual Shock but I love my Dual Shock 2 more probably because the rumble is better, IMO. Playing certain games I notice the Dual Shock 1 doesn't feel quite "right" with the rumble. I don't know, maybe it's just because I've gotten used to DS2. Games like Frequency I use DS1 sometimes though.

They're both great, IMO. Smile
STOP!!
kodabb51
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:07 pm
quote : #7
i've had my two ds2 controllers since 2000 and i havnt had any problems with them..even my regular ol ps1 controllers from 1995 without the analog stcks and rumble still work Mr. Green

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:30 pm
quote : #8
I must have gotten a bad apple
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:35 pm
quote : #9
I have a controller like yours Nikon, it came with my second ps2, the first time I played it, it just wasn't right.

I used to think that it just needed to be broken in, well it didn't, it's just a pile.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:21 pm
quote : #10
yall hear about that nerf controller? hmm...thats GOTTA be able to take some damage.
Posted:
Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:50 pm
quote : #11
Yes apparently TEETH are no match for the NERF design:

http://media.gear.ign.com/media/859/859999/img_3993618.html
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:52 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Yes apparently TEETH are no match for the NERF design:

http://media.gear.ign.com/media/859/859999/img_3993618.html

LOL I wanna try dat out though....thats the controller I wish I had when I played MCII for the first time.

awww thats sucky... its all ps3 with its non rumbleness
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:23 am
quote : #13
Think about it though. How would you fit rumble into that thing?! Its NERF...
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:33 am
quote : #14
http://gear.ign.com/articles/522/522644p1.html I have one of those. It's great.

carl250481
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:55 am
quote : #15
and plus does the DS1 have trouble playing certain ps2 games on the ps2???