rank 59
Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was doing some quick reading. An FAQ at hdadvance.com clearly states:

---
Can I use HDAdvance to play my games online?
You can play any games which do NOT use DNAS online As stated on the compatibility page the DNAS check will fail when HDAdvance is used, so it is not possible to play DNAS enabled games online using HDAdvance
---

This would also mean you could use them for LAN as well.

Seems like taking a PS2, tossing in a HD and using HDadvance would be a pretty slick way to take your PS2 online for certain games. Especially because TribesAA and TMB:Online are both Blue Bottom discs.
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:01 am
quote : #2
yeah its nice ive been using tmbo and tribes on my hdd ever since i got it due to the fact my ps2 was having problems reading blue disk......its a lot easier not having to worry about it reading the disk... and they take up very little memory too since they are blue bottomed disk
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:44 pm
quote : #3
I don't know if it's a difference between HDAdvance and HDLoader (I'm using HDL), but whenever I fire up KillZone from my HDD, my network adaptor doesn't even show up. Playing from the disc, I can cpnnect just fine (although I have a bit of lag on my DSL connection here now that I've moved). I heard somewhere that a NA wouldn't show up because the HDD uses the same data routes as the NA when the system is loading game data from a game stored on the HDD uysing a HDD loading program.

Also, I rented AM quite some time ago to see if it was as decent as everyone had been saying (and because I noticed a few people here still played it online). I figured if it was cheap enough, I'd just go out and pick up a copy. Even though I't not a DNAS title, it still wouldn't work for me. If I remember correctly, the NA didn't show up there either. I'll have to re-rent it and try again, this was quite some time ago.

I would have assumed that with KillZone, I would just go online normally, and then fail the DNAS check, not that my NA wouldn't show up at all. I was hoping that the NA would still be available, this would make LAN parties a lot easier for newer DNAS games.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:38 pm
quote : #4
Einhander, I have no information on HDloader. It might not be compatible with the network adaptor. All I know is what I read at the HDAdvance website in their FAQ. The information I have above was right off their site, so I didn't get it from some random forum or anything.
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:42 am
quote : #5
HDD loader is compatible with non dnas games online.....it wont recognize the network adapter with dnas game.

i own a HD loader disk and i have been using it for non dnas games....its nice not to have to worry about the blue bottomed disk
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:40 am
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
Einhander, I have no information on HDloader. It might not be compatible with the network adaptor. All I know is what I read at the HDAdvance website in their FAQ. The information I have above was right off their site, so I didn't get it from some random forum or anything.

HDAdvance is basically just a ripoff version of HDLoader, but it increased the HDD size limit a considerable amount, among a few other fixes... which makes this next comment:

Mir_wan wrote:
HDD loader is compatible with non dnas games online.....it wont recognize the network adapter with dnas game.

i own a HD loader disk and i have been using it for non dnas games....its nice not to have to worry about the blue bottomed disk

make total sense. I guess I just did something wrong with AM. I'll rent it soon to double check, it was probably just a problem with my setup.

Anyway, blue-bottomed CDRom games are nice when you're only using the official 40GB HDD like I am.

Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:59 pm
quote : #7
yeah i use the official hdd too
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:15 pm
quote : #8
How much do these things cost? I might have to pick one up....
Posted:
Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:55 am
quote : #9
you should be able to find one for 30 or less....i got my HD loader close to when they first came out for about 20 on Ebay....

Check ebay for some and i dunno if you still can buy em off the official site www.HDloader.com anymore or not
Posted:
Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:48 am
quote : #10
Mine set me back $29.99 plus shipping from the HDLoader website, but if you have a modded system, you can boot free loader programs off of a memory card. Using an overlooked developer exploit, you can trick your PS2 into booting a program from a memory card instead of booting a specific PS1 game.

Basically, when the PS2 boots a PS1 game, it hits the memory card up, and if it sees a program with the same SC number as the PS1 game, it'll boot the program off of the memory card instead. This means that you'll have to use the same PS1 game to boot the program off of the memory card.

Google "PS2 Independence Memory card exploit tutorial" or some mixture of those words, and you should hit the jackpot.

Mind you, I don't have a modified system, so I haven't done this myself. I'm stuck with the retail version.

Posted Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:16 am:

I wanted to find a list of PS2 online games that didn't use DNAS to connect, so I did a little Googling, and found this:

Some Website I forgot the name of wrote:
Can I still play online?
Running games off the hard drive, you cannot play DNAS-Enabled games online. DNAS stands for Dynamic Network Authentication System and is a security check to protect against modification. You can still play these games online by inserting the game disc. Older games may work fine as they do not have a DNAS check, but I get conflicting information on this, although the general trend seems to be that they will not work. The following online games do not have a DNAS check:(this list is not fully updated as you can tell but it gives you a vague estimate)

* Amplitude
* ATV Offroad Fury 2
* Auto Modellista
* Chessmaster
* ESPN Basketball
* ESPN College Hoops
* ESPN NFL Football
* ESPN NHL Hockey

* Madden NFL 2003
* Midnight Club II
* My Street
* NBA 2k2
* NBA Live 2003
* NCAA Basketball 2k3
* NFL 2k3
* NFL Gameday 2003
* NFL Blitz Pro

* Risk: The Game of Global Domination
* SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
* Tribes: Aerial Assault
* Twisted Metal Black: Online

If you install one of the games that can be played online off the hard drive, do not let anyone else use you disc because online play discs have specific IDs and if the same ID is online at the same time, all PS2s using it receive a permanent ban on all online PS2 services including games, content and central station. Technically you shouldn't lend games out anyway but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who's never lent some form of media.

I went ahead and cross referenced with the online games list, redding any games that no longer had servers up and running, and blueing and games that featured LAN play. Whether or not these work (while technically they should, but s few sources I've seen said they don't... and a few sources I've read say they do) should become a project, I think.