Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
If you attempt to turn your car, magic smoke comes out of the bottom of the vehicle, and it stays in one spot, spinning in circles.

Everyone (AI), but you, can turn corners at full speed without spinning out, however, sometimes, they feel the need to just competely stop at a corner for no reason.

Everyone (AI), but you, gets a magical boost at the start of a race.

Going into a drift will cause your car to spin-out. When in real life, it would actually cause your car to slide across the ground.

If you bump into a wall, you'll bounce right off and back onto the track.

If you bump into a wall at an angle, your car becomes stuck until your car comes to complete stop, as in, 0 mph.

http://files.filefront.com/AMPwmv/;4165163;;/fileinfo.html

Here is a video of me using the wall glitch, then playing the way the game/announcer claims to be good.

And the development team realized this, as the Japanese/BETA version of Auto Modellista performs just fine as opposed to US Tuned Edition. Why they changed it to this is beyond me.
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:40 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, I'm not exactly sure why so many people come to Auto Modellista thinking it is going to be a simulation style racing game. Maybe because it has liscensed cars and lets you upgrade your car and tweak out its look.

I don't know how the original Auto Modellista ran in Japan. (The original dialup compatible JP release.)

All I know is what I have experienced on the US release. Maybe I need to re-check some advertisements and the back of the box. Maybe it claims "realistic driving physics" or something. So someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see what prompted anyone to look at Auto Modellista and assume it has realistic physics. All of the people I know that have hated this game, this is all they bitch about. The funny thing is they play or have played other racers like Burnout or Outrun or Ridge Racer that are the farthest thing from realistic driving, and they have no problem with those games. Weird.

I booted up Auto Modellista thinking I would get thrown full on into a video game disaster with horrible driving mechanics. I played for a while and...I just couldn't get it. Why were people so up in arms about this game? I don't know what the developers intentions were with the title, whether to make it sim or arcade. To me Auto Modellista is an arcade racing game. Yes you bounce off the walls, yes your car will come to a complete stop if you hit too hard, and yes you can pull instant 360's. I just don't see what is so bad about this. These traits instantly move AM into the arcade racing catagory and these are the characteristics that define its gameplay system.

Also I should note you can drift around corners, however its not the same as a "realistic" drift system. Double check your controls...do not use the Emergency brake for drifting, it will cause you to spin around. Instead use the other break button, and tap it, then angle the car to go into the drift. To drift more successfully use manual transmission so you can drop down a gear about a quarter into the drift. This will help maintain speed. Otherwise your more likely to slow down to a crawl or even spin out due to the added friction. This isn't an exact description, but play around a bit and eventually you will get it.

Is AM's drifting exactly like other racing games? No it is not. Neither in performance or in execution.

As far as the wall bouncing. In no way do I see this as a glitch. You can't win a race by bouncing off the walls. It will slow you down. While playing online, someone who is gripping their corners better and drifting some will easily be abel to quickly catch up to you if you are taking each corner by bouncing off the walls. The wall bounce "can" be used in certain turns which would out perform any other option. However you have to hit the wall just right with enough force to bounce yourself back onto the track, in the right direction, without losing speed.

The games A.I. is probobly suspect to some scrutiny, as with most games. I have played partially through the games single player. Usually I play this game for Time Trials and for the online. The game fairs much better with Human opponents than the A.I. Most of my time is spent playing this game online in a scheduled match. The video remix system in the game is TOTALLY bonkers. The fact that you can save online replays, and then cut and edit your own highlight reel is one of the coolest features of this game.

When you combine all of the characteristics of Auto Modellista and take it at face value, then you will start to appreciate the game. I just take the title for what it is: a video game, not a simulator.

Oh and by the way, that announcer....annoying. You can shut him off in the options menu. He's ok for a little bit, but eventually he will start to wear on your patience.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:16 am
quote : #3
No, no, no. I enjoy it. This is my second time owning it, and I'm mentioning it right now because I see the game has a following here. But the physics make alot of tracks almost impossible and boring. Akagi DH is one of the worst tracks in video game history, just because of the way the physics act. The thing is, though. This IS suppose to be a sim. The Japanese release has realistic physics and easy-to-get-into gameplay. But this game, I just don't get it. They totally tweaked it. I am more of a City racing person myself, and that is the only good racing type in this game. Drift/Downhill/Uphill is almost impossible in this game.

The customization is off the hook and crazy, I just wish the controls were better. But it just sucks how most courses are almost impossible because of the amount of times you must come to a complete stop. I tried drifting, and it doesn't really do you much better then, say, bouncing off a wall (which is done in a specific way on the downhill courses).

And the wall bounce glitch does make you lose speed, but not as much as you do when you make a turn in the game as you are complimented for. If I were to make a turn normally, I'd probably drop somewhere to 30 or 40 mph, coming out of a straight-way. If I were to merely wall-bounce, I'd drop to mabye 100, 70 to the least. However, after trying this on Akagi and Rokoko, I've noticed a glitch where I would get stuck in the wall and un-able to pull out until my speed dropped completely.
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:54 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Oh yea...drifting in the mountain circuits is rarely used. I typically use a rally style car for those courses with fast acceleration.

I'm not really sure what prompted capcom to make drastic changes when releasing it in the US. I can see how if you played the original JP version and then bought the US version you would be mystified as to why they changed an entire games physics system. Definatly seems strange.

If we were trying run extremly serious competative game matches then some of the things you mention would become serious issues. However in most cases all we ever do is play casual races and use it as an opportunity to socialize and chat. Regardless of what place people come in everyone says GG. In-fact in many cases we race using the same cars or similar cars. We will have these races using the Cobras only. Or will all pick the slowest smallest ghetto car in the list. Then sometimes we will use custom cars.

More often than not we just try and level the playing field and have fun. In-fact I have had plans to segment the cars into groups. So when we play online we could pick certain cars from specific made up classes that we have specified. So things can always be nice and balanced.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:32 am
quote : #5
Well, if I do get into a game, I'll do something crazy and race using the Trueno. I'm an Initial D fan.

But I remember the S)K)Y net team were cheaters as well. I played with them and stopped for awhile. It's good to know you guys keep the games balance. I'll try and join this Sunday.