Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
My friend got this game today and after playing it i realized there is a lot more added then i thought.... First of all there are new maps addedfor episode three that are a lot of fun.....There are also some changes to the classes..... There is a class where the guy has a shotgun which was interesting.....

The maps also have mission objectives to the maps so its not all the same go capture command points. Now you have to do things in the game such as destroy stuff as well as capturing the points....

The new space battles are a lot of fun as well... They are a mix of crimson skies on xbox and starlancer for dreamcast...This adds more variety to the game.......

There is also a new points system so rank in a game comes from points now instead of just kills.. I think this is good bc if someone captures a lot of command points and does most of the objectives they can get a high score....

If your not sure which to buy i would have to say if your not sure which to buy get battlefront 2 if you can dig out the 50... IF you want to get an online game just to play with OC members get the first one.....if you can buying both might not be a bad idea either....

Im going to try to get this game soon.... i didnt try the online play out much yet but when i do ill add the details
Posted:
Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:49 pm
quote : #2
Well i just purchased the game today and can really say it is a great game containing a lot of the features lacking in the first title.
Well for now Im only going to talk about the online portion of the game so here it is:

Online:

Full Stat Tracking- Leaderboard is now in the game so we do not need to visit the website anymore.
Better looking and Detail oriented lobbies, which give a lot more information on the game in play.

Buddy List- Yes we have an ingame buddy list (will test it out later, such as if you can join games staright from it)

Tips an Tricks are displayed during the loading of each of the maps.

When you join a game you can auto-assign to a team (if not already in the game options) and it clearly lists how many people are actually on each side.

A lot less lag Smile even in full 24 player games which there are a few already as of now.

Over 900 people online right now

LAN is supported once again.

You can play as all of the Jedi's through the coarse of each of the maps.

16 new maps and the inclusion of the maps from the first title.

A good deal of space dogfighting maps.

Much more oragnized stat review after the completion of the map.

Awards are gathered by using and doing certain things.

New points system, which when you gather points from kills an captures you only new characters to choice in the game and new parts, such as health regen and heavy armor.

New vehicles.

New units, such as spies an the such.

When you enter a more than one manned vehicle it tells you on the side who is actually in it such as with socom 3.

Headset support (havent used it yet, but will let you know)

Force abilites are usable with the jedis.

And if i forget anything let me know, and i will be adding stuff as i actually come across it.
Well its time to get back to actually playing

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:10 pm
quote : #3
if not a lot there is a good deal added......
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:09 am
quote : #4
Spidhopddy wrote:
You can play as all of the Jedi's through the coarse of each of the maps.

how dose this work exactly?

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
chicagodave
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:02 pm
quote : #5
ok many people where dissapointed with the first one, in fact i was as well especially with the online aspect. i did like the game but they handled the online very badly. despite that the game became the number 1 selling star wars game of all time.

so the sequel is being looked upon with great disdain, but in fact im here to say thats its turned out to be quite suprising and very good.

first let me say they fixed the servers, online has very little lag and 24 players to boot, they added the little things that where missing from the first one, like a buddy list, stats, search filters for servers etc...
as the first one theres an option to dowload a dedicated server for the ps2. you can host youre own user server but its only 4 players.

well besides the online fixes what else is new? well a ton.

there are now playable heroes in game. some of these heroes would be the jedi like a yoda, obi wan etc, to darth vader et.... and so on. even han and leia are playable. there is one game mode where its only the heroes and its very fun.

there are now also multiple game modes. besides the cnh from the first one, there is 1-ctf, 2-ctf, assault, and hunt(tdm)

and now there is space battles which have ctf and assault mode, in space battle not only is it with space vehicles but you can also land on the enemy ships and try and take over and destroy the main vessels.

even the cnh mode has been tweaked now the timer takes a bit longer to fill up and now when you capture a point you can change classes at that point.

speaking of classes now theres 2 extra classes for each faction, but these 2 extra classes are unlocked only after you get a certain amount of points in game. this adds a great amount incentive to do well in game. for example to unlock the droideka for the droid army you need 12 pts in game, these points can be optain by killing or capturing points and so on.

some gameplay tweaks are very welcome, now theres a nice sprint button and target lock which is very useful this is not auto aim its just seperate way to target enemies.

back to the heroes, the heroes only become available after a certain time or certain conditions are met in game, so they dont overwhelm the game in anyway, but if used properly they can definetely help a team who is losing since they are very powerful.

the maps are all varied and big but not too big, the graphics are a bit more polished this time and the sound is as great as ever.

if youre a starwars fan you will love the new maps and characters. if youre not a starwars fan you can just enjoy the variety in the game.

its amazing how much they crammed in their this time and how much they really improved on the game as a whole.

if youre a star wars fan this is a must buy absolutely, if your a fan of online i think you have to rent it, theres a lot there, tons of vehicles, characters, game modes, complete control customization, you can change easily from 1st to 3rd person view. space battles, stats, dedicated servers, 24 players, and a nice single player.

yes the first one was a dissapointment but it looks like they finally got it right. in my opinion this is the best starwars game i have played and next to battlefield 2 the best online game right now.
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:24 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Star Wars Battlefront 1 is not a disspointment, and they handled the online for it better than most companies do. At launch battlefront did indeed have problems. However they didn't leave consumers high and dry. If you bought battlefront 1 or rented it and then sold it back immediatly then you missed out.

By december all of the major problems were worked out and a huge patch was released. As well as the dedicated server v1.1

I play on 24 player servers all the time. My brother does, lanzarlaluna does, and not too long ago it was me, Apple, Lanz, and my brother Treey, all playing off my bro's dedicated server with about 11 other people connected, and it ran butter smooth.

TheMytho recently borrowed Battlefront from a friend and he can also verify the PS2 versions performance, claiming it ran better for him than the xbox version.

The only problems Battlefront 1 has are inconsistant Statistic Tracking when playing on Dedicated servers, and Headset support is sketchy with 3+ players. However it works like butter when playing 1 vs 1.

Other than that the gameplay is butter smooth. Anyone who got into battlefront 1 in the first few months of its release probobly got frustrated with some of the games early issues. However the game was patched, and fixed, and has worked fantastic since then.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:04 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Star Wars Battlefront 1 is not a disspointment, and they handled the online for it better than most companies do. At launch battlefront did indeed have problems. However they didn't leave consumers high and dry. If you bought battlefront 1 or rented it and then sold it back immediatly then you missed out.

By december all of the major problems were worked out and a huge patch was released. As well as the dedicated server v1.1

I play on 24 player servers all the time. My brother does, lanzarlaluna does, and not too long ago it was me, Apple, Lanz, and my brother Treey, all playing off my bro's dedicated server with about 11 other people connected, and it ran butter smooth.

TheMytho recently borrowed Battlefront from a friend and he can also verify the PS2 versions performance, claiming it ran better for him than the xbox version.

The only problems Battlefront 1 has are inconsistant Statistic Tracking when playing on Dedicated servers, and Headset support is sketchy with 3+ players. However it works like butter when playing 1 vs 1.

Other than that the gameplay is butter smooth. Anyone who got into battlefront 1 in the first few months of its release probobly got frustrated with some of the games early issues. However the game was patched, and fixed, and has worked fantastic since then.

thats all well in good but now the sequel is out and if you liked the first one you will love this one, its quite amazing how much they crammed into the game now. everything has been amped up a notch and threw in more game modes, more characters, more of everything, i just cant see if youre a fan of star wars and of the first game why you wouldnt but the sequel, its an amazing game, with tons of options and yoda to boot. i cant see why you would continue to play the first one when the second one is just soo much better. now i understand if its a matter of economics thats fine, then at least rent it, trust me this is an awesome game.
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:34 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, my comments were merely clarrifying information in order to curb any stereotypes against the original Star Wars Battlefront. I never mentioned anything in my reply regarding Star Wars Battlefront 2. As far as your bringing up of purchasing decisions, this breaks down to individual preference. Myself and others, especially users here are in the camp that believes a sequal doesn't necessarily make its previous game obsolete. I celebrate each game in a series with equal interest. Sometimes I even prefer certain versions over others, ragardless of where they appeared in the franchises timeline.

For instance on the PC, I prefer to play Unreal Tournament. It is my favorite release in the series. In-fact I even have to correct people because whenever I say UT they somehow assume I mean UT2004. Then when I tell them I play UT, they in turn ask, "Why are you still playing that? Thats so old. You should play playing UT2004." .... Uhh .... I should?

Just like my above example with UT, SWBF1 and SWBF2 have unique differences between them. It is not like they released Star Wars Battlefront 1.5, being the original game released with a few extra fixes and a few sprinkled maps on top. One only needs to read the original posts in this thread, along with many of your own comments to see how many new gameplay changes were made to Battlefront 2.

Another good example, is me and Apple own and have regularly Tunneled TimeSplitters 2. We currently feel no need to run out and buy TimeSplitters 3, an actual Online title. Instead we are having a ton of fun tunneling TimeSplitters 2. Are we totally out of our minds? No, of course not. We are just appreciating and taking advantage of a games features. Most importantly its all about having fun. That is in the end what playing video games is all about. Atleast this is what I feel games are for. Some people use video games for other outlets.

I personally love the original StarWars Battlefront. It is a fantastic game and I am having a lot of fun playing the game. I am a star wars fan, and do plan on eventually picking up Star Wars Battlefront 2, but right now I am playing Battlefront 1. It is great to hear that you are having so much fun playing the new swbf2 game.

Even when I do get swbf2, I will still be playing Battlefront 1 as well, as it is a good game in its own right.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:54 pm
quote : #9
i absolutely see youre point if youre having fun playing a game thats really the only thing that matters. many times i found myself playing tony hawk 3 for the old school levels and great simple game play. but heres the problem i have had with a few games that have come out online over the last year. if im excited about a game im usually their day one and ready to play on launch day.
when i do get the game i expect the game to be ready for release and ready to go. i dont expect games to be nearly unplayable or in need of instant fixes, this is why i dont get an xbox because so many of the xbox games are need of patches right of the bat.

so i purchase a game like snowblind on day one and find out its need of a patch so i wait for the patch and then fill up my memory card with the patch just so i can play a game that i should have been able to play on day one, same thing happened with the first swbf we all waited for these fixes that eventually came, as consumers we should not have to wait, either delay the game or just straight out tells us the game will be buggy from the start.

it soo refreshing to see the crop of the latest games not really needing a patch or fixes, like bhd, bf2, swbf2, area 51, ratched:deadlocked, now if some maintance or upgrades are done to the servers or the game thats fine but its not overall fix of the game its just simply improving on the game. some people may have patience to wait on fixes for obvious flaws but if i spend my hard earned money i expect a game to be as near complete as possible.
Posted:
Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:49 pm
quote : #10
Hey nikon, UT2004 is a kick ass game though Mr. Green

Neways, i had Battlefront 1 and thought it to be a good game, but the lag always seemed bad. Maby it was just my connection at the time, but thats why i ended up selling it. Thought about picking up BF2 now though, so who knows.