Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just recently picked up my copy of DDR Extreme 2. Funny story, really. I walked into EB, looking to spend 20 bucks, and found myself in a DDR Mario Mix tournament against one other person. I won, and walked away with this game and an Eye-Toy.

Anyways, figured I would type this up before I head out, as my last dosage of info was merely on hear-say.

First off, for Nikon. The info you have listed is 100% correct. This game supports nothing but online play for 1 to 2 players.

Now, to an indepth look at the game overall.

Connecting is pretty basic. You just select the online mode and choose your connection type. From there, the game connects straight to the internet. Once you are connected, you are given three options, such as log in, disconnect, or view rules and terms. If you are new, you press start, and enter registration.

Now, when you go to make your account name and enter your new password, you'll quickly notice that this game doesn't support keyboard at all. Meaning you manually have to type everything in using an on-screen keyboard. I was shocked. How lazy was Konami when they did this mode? How lame.

Once you create your username and log in, you are given the option to choose a member file, which is rather interesting. Your account name comes with two slots for records and stats. The first time you select these slots, you are asked to give a display name, and to choose a character, which becomes an avatar for you.

After that, you then choose your lobby. There are two lobbies right now. Drum and Bass. Once you connect to either one, you then choose between three options. Practice, Head to Head, and Ranking Challenge. Konami adds in new challenges every now and then, which you play to see how you stack against the nation. You get about 99 tries max on these challenges.

Unfortunately, this is flawed, as you can't tell who used a controller or a dance pad. Not just that, but the same people will come in and max them out. Say the rankings are meant for beginners, as a requirement window says in the corner with a restriction (you must have less then 10 hours of play). Pro players just make a new name, come in, and thrash them.

To play against other players, you choose head to head. When you select this option, you choose what difficulty you want to play. Once you have made your choice, you sit and wait for some else looking for a match to join you. Sadly, you can't check the stats of the player before hand, only their winning streak. I quickly noticed that a lot of pro players will play on easier modes and draw in new people to raise their win count.

Once you connect with the other player, the game automatically chooses a song for you and that person, and you play. Yes, that is right. No choices or freedom here, people. The game does it all for you. This also causes problems. Let's say you are playing on a mat, and you want to play Heavy mode, because you play that mode most of the time, like me. I am going to just tell you right now, I can't do those crazy 10 footers. Only on Ultramix 2. But what would happen, is the game would pick one of those ultra hard songs, giving you little to no time to swap your mat for a controller.

You can practice songs before hand, but what good does this do, really? Most people online seem to be using a controller as opposed to a mat, because no player just triple As a song over and over, 9 times in a row.

All and all, Extreme 2's online mode is dissapointing. There is no freedom, and little customization. You can not talk to anyone, and there are no friends list.

If you are looking for a good DDR game with awesome songs, this would be it. But if you want good online play, go with the Ultramix games on X-Box and X-Box Live.
Posted:
Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:39 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Good to hear all of the info ended up correct in the end.

I'm pretty baffled at this games online mode. It is like anonymous DDR. Hop online and battle some completly random person.

Atleast you got the game for free. The EyeToy should come in handy though. Supposed to be a great peripheral.
rank 12
Posted:
Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:22 pm
quote : #3
Yeah.

Next year, we just need song choice, communication, and cross country play.