Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:15 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey guys, I recently bought a PS2 and have actually been an OC member since near the beginning at the GCN and DC sectors of the site. So anyways, my first question involves games. I'd just like to know a few games that DO NOT require monthly fees (if there are any) and are still of quality. Also, I have the slim PS2 which has the modem built in, so I also wanted to know how easy/feasible/expensive it would be to set my system up via Wi-Fi. I definitely know that Wi-Fi is much slower than directly connecting my system via cable, but I really don't feel like boring another hole through my wall to get a jack down here.

Thanks in advance guys, and if you have any suggestions for some good wireless hardware that is PS2 compatible, I'd like to know. I don't really mind buying the hardware as long as the price isn't outlandish, but I just can't stand forking over a monthly fee to play online. If I can get it up and running, I'd love to see some of you guys online.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not the biggest fan of console FPS's as I cannot stand the controls, so I would prefer some alternate suggestions. However, if there is a truly awesome FPS, let me know, and I may be willing to overlook the controls.

chicagodave
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 am
quote : #2
the only game on ps2 to ever require a fee was final fantasy. everything else is free. if youre looking for good online games, it depends what you like. if you like cart/racing games i highly suggest jak x combat racking its really fun and great online options. i know you say you dont like fps but the best fps right now and best online game in my opinion for ps2 is battlefield 2. its absolutely amazing and has near perfect online options and has a huge community.

as far as wireless technology look no further than this: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2277,CONTENTID=8157

its abolutely perfect and just as good as the regular dual shock, also if you turn off the vibration it will last you a long time, im going over 120 hours of gaming on the same batteries with the vibration off and its right on.
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:03 pm
quote : #3
Everquest and Phantasy Star also are fee based games. TOCA 2 is a great racing game if you like that genre. The only decent FPS I have found that I have had experience online are SWBF 1 and Warhammer firewarrior.

Here is information that you need to know about when setting up a WI-FI connection. A WI-FI connection is faster than your cable connection. Cable speed averages about 5 mbps whereas WI-FI (802.11b standard is 11mbps and the 802.11g standard is 54mbps). Lynksys makes great hardware for WI-FI and is pretty reasonable in cost. It is very simple to set up a connection and it just depends on how much you want to spend. When you set it up make sure you use a different SSID and enable WPA and WEP encription on your connection so people do not steal your WI-FI. Also you will want to use DHCP addressing with your router for the connection. It makes it easier than entering all your information. Some games require certain ports to be open too.

Hope this helps you
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:02 pm
quote : #4
Welcome to the PS2 side of OC. I think I remember seeing you on the DC site.
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:50 pm
quote : #5
CGMANN99 wrote:
Everquest and Phantasy Star also are fee based games. TOCA 2 is a great racing game if you like that genre. The only decent FPS I have found that I have had experience online are SWBF 1 and Warhammer firewarrior.

Here is information that you need to know about when setting up a WI-FI connection. A WI-FI connection is faster than your cable connection. Cable speed averages about 5 mbps whereas WI-FI (802.11b standard is 11mbps and the 802.11g standard is 54mbps). Lynksys makes great hardware for WI-FI and is pretty reasonable in cost. It is very simple to set up a connection and it just depends on how much you want to spend. When you set it up make sure you use a different SSID and enable WPA and WEP encription on your connection so people do not steal your WI-FI. Also you will want to use DHCP addressing with your router for the connection. It makes it easier than entering all your information. Some games require certain ports to be open too.

Hope this helps you

Thanks a lot. The deal is that I do have Wi-Fi set up in my house, so that's not the problem. I was just wondering what kind of hardware I would need on the PS2 end of things so that it can access my access point. What hardware have you guys used and would recommend for that?

I was also interested in Monster Hunter. Is there any fee for that and is it any good?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:12 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Monster Huner is very good. Out of all the PS2 Online RPG's I think it has the most ovreall appeal because of its thriving community, and no fees. The Champions of Norrath games are also a good option. However if you were a big fan of PSO, Monster Hunter will most likely appeal to you. The game has similar questing, and map designs. However the game is challenging to say the least. The Dragons are viscious. At Monster Hunters current retail price of 20-30 dollars, it is one of the best buys you could purchase for the Playstation 2.

Some of the Fee based games do have, obviously, a lot more content to offer as they are MMO's. However Monster Hunter is a real winner no matter how you dice it.

Like CGMANN99 stated, Toca 2 is a fantastic pickup if you are into racing games. It is probobly THE best game to buy if you are looking to get it on "internationally" with gamers across the world. The game has little flags that show what country everyone is from. Not a whole lot of PS2 Online games are cross region compatable. So Toca 2 is really desirable in that respect. Plus its just a fantastic game, and has a complete online featureset including LAN, headset support, and probobly the best Keyboard Chat support of any PS2 Online game.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:50 am
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Monster Huner is very good. Out of all the PS2 Online RPG's I think it has the most ovreall appeal because of its thriving community, and no fees. The Champions of Norrath games are also a good option. However if you were a big fan of PSO, Monster Hunter will most likely appeal to you. The game has similar questing, and map designs. However the game is challenging to say the least. The Dragons are viscious. At Monster Hunters current retail price of 20-30 dollars, it is one of the best buys you could purchase for the Playstation 2.

Some of the Fee based games do have, obviously, a lot more content to offer as they are MMO's. However Monster Hunter is a real winner no matter how you dice it.

Like CGMANN99 stated, Toca 2 is a fantastic pickup if you are into racing games. It is probobly THE best game to buy if you are looking to get it on "internationally" with gamers across the world. The game has little flags that show what country everyone is from. Not a whole lot of PS2 Online games are cross region compatable. So Toca 2 is really desirable in that respect. Plus its just a fantastic game, and has a complete online featureset including LAN, headset support, and probobly the best Keyboard Chat support of any PS2 Online game.

That's just awesome. I'm really starting to look forward to Monster Hunter; it feels like the old days of PSO ver. 1 DC again!

Anyways, my primary roadblock for getting online is the device that I should hook up to my PS2 so that it can access the wireless in my house. Like I said above, any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would love to play Monster Hunter with you Nikon mainly because I've been a member for far too long, and we've never hooked up for an online game!

CGMANN99
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:39 am
quote : #8
Here are the best wireless adapters for gaming. They are made by D-Link. Since I did not know what your situation was, that is why I gave all that informaiton.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat62500050038&type=category&parentCatID=p cmcat30300050002&_requestid=275713
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:34 am
quote : #9
CGMANN99 wrote:
Here are the best wireless adapters for gaming. They are made by D-Link. Since I did not know what your situation was, that is why I gave all that informaiton.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat62500050038&type=category&parentCatID=p cmcat30300050002&_requestid=275713

Hmmm . . . those look a bit steep, and I definitely don't like D-Link routers though their wireless adapters for gaming consoles may be a different story. That just seems like a ludicrous price for what the device actually does . . .

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:55 pm
quote : #10
Gaming ethernet bridges are expensive. There is no way around it. If you buy some cheapo device you will have really poor peformance.

My brother spent near 250.00 on a Wireless Router and an Ethernet Bridge.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:38 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Gaming ethernet bridges are expensive. There is no way around it. If you buy some cheapo device you will have really poor peformance.

My brother spent near 250.00 on a Wireless Router and an Ethernet Bridge.

Okay, that's cool, but is the D-Link bridge of quality?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:26 pm
quote : #12
I have never personally used a D-Link bridge before. I recommend checking some product opinion websites if you can track some down. Or run some searches on google to see if you can pickup any forums with people commenting on the device.