Topic: Online isn't forever... :(

Page 1 of 1
killer-elite
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
With the approach of a New Generation of consoles comming to us this following year ( the Playstaiton 3 and the Nintendo Revolution with the execption to the Xbox 360 - due to it being released already) whats going to happen to all of are bloved PS2 Online games....is this going to be like what Happend to the Sega Dreamcast Online and have all of its games shutdown or will the Servers stay up for as long as they can.... personally I think that the thought of it is a drag, cause some people are going to miss out on the fun of playing Online with such games as SOCOM 2, Twisted Metal Black : Online, and Burnout 3 : Takedown. But eventaully all good things have to come to a end....well for some games their will always be memories and the option of playing it over LAN...

Last edited by killer-elite on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:59 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
killer-elite wrote:
With the approach of a New Generation of consoles comming to us this following year ( the Playstaiton 3 and the Nintendo Revolution with the execption to the Xbox 360 - due to it being released already) whats going to happen to all of are bloved PS2 Online games....is this going to be like what Happend to the Sega Dreamcast Online and have all of its games shutdown or will the Servers stay up for as long as they can.... personally I think that the thought of it is a drag, cause some people are going to miss out on the fun of playing Online with such games as SOCOM 2, Twisted Metal Black : Online, and Burnout 3 : Takedown. But eventaully all good things have to come to a end....well for some games their will always be memories and the option of playing it over LAN...

(You probobly know most of this, but I'm going on a little ramble here anyway.)

I'm not sure which site you originate from here at OnlineConsoles, but this website started primarily because of the Sega Dreamcast, and is the primary hub for Dreamcast Online in existance. This website isn't your average "mainstream" gaming website which follows only industry trends. It is more hardcore, for diehard gamers. OC is all about playing games, appreciating them, and playing them well into the future. Its about preservation. It will be a shame when certain games go officially offline. However the LAN option allows us to tunnel the games. I personally have done this with a variety of games and it works beautifully. In-fact with TimeSplitters 2, me and Apple had it where he had 3 people playing on his one Playstation 2, across the internet to my hosted game. So it was 3 people on splitscreen on apples PS2, and me on mine. We have tested games such as Twisted Metal Black Online and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomarrow as well. The performance is superb.

So when I look at the future of PS2 Online, I often stare down at the System Link list on the Online Game List, and look at the LAN games. Personally I think the PS2 now has a pretty damn hot list of games with LAN. Coming from the Dreamcast and being so saddened when some of my favorite games started going offline, it is nice to know most of my Fav PS2 online games are able to be played independently, outside of the developers / publishers control. It means we can play these games on our timetable, not theirs. I'm not saying that we should be playing these games everyday until we are in our deathbed, clutching a controller firing off one last frag (haha myabe some of us will). The main point is that on some random saturday afternoon, if any of us wishes to play a game of ATV Offroad Fury 2, or Socom 2, or Tony Hawk 3, etc etc....we should have the right to do so.

Online is Forever! Lets say, a year from now they take down ATV Offroad Fury 2, and you still wanted to play this game online. All you'd have to do is hit up the site and scream "Yo lets get some games going!" We simply use a tunneling application such as GIT or XLink and use the LAN mode to tunnel the game online. Simple as that Smile

You already own 5 games with LAN capabilites, so you have a nice stack of LAN games going already. Wink