Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
One Legion
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:14 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Iv had this game for over a week now.

But I don’t seem to be making any progress.
The robot iv started off with does not seem good enough to win and matches.
And until I win a match I can’t early any money and improve my robot.

So I feel like im in a Catch 22 situation!
Could anyone help me out, Or give me some pointers?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know exactly how you feel. I first started off this game not quite understanding how to progress in the game. So I grunted my way through poking and prodding figuring some things out.

Here are some tips:

Start off the first few days using a rental going to D-Rank matches. If you get destroyed you won't lose any money. You will receive about 50% of your winnings if you can make it out alive.

After a few days, purchase your very first SV. Then buy a new chip.

Now, at this point you want to save often!!!! Imagine you are on your PC, and you are working on a very important file. If the PC crashes you will lose all of your data, so you want to save often. This is how it is in SLAI. See, the game has one major problem early on. Crashers can come out of no where in matches cloaked, and destroy your SV, causing you to lose 70,000+ CR and multiple hours of gameplay time put in. It is rather frustrating and the only thing I have found to combat this is to re-load your save. "Later on" when you have a ton of money, you could pay for these repairs and play with honor. However I played for a solid few days and kept on getting destroyed, sometimes a crasher would be aiming right at me when the rumble first started!!!!! Talk about B.S.

What you want to do is use the schedule wisely and fly to different areas using Beam Port to follow D-Rank rumble matches. Forget A or B rank matches right now. C-Ranks you can fight, but ONLY dip in for a few seconds to squeeze off a few kills, and if your life drops below 75% then leave immediatly and get out with whatever money you can. You can also fight FREE matches, but sometimes there will be rankers in those matches. So they are kind of like wildcard matches. Basically try to fly to different areas that are closest, and track D-Rank matches, while filling in C-Rank and FREE rank matches inbetween. Also, feel free to sleep ahead a day here and there as well to reach the days you are looking for.

Ok, now, in any given map you will see all types of objects. Cars, crates, cans, etc etc. Blow these up for extra cash. In Las Vegas you can blow up signs which are worth 250 CR each.

Protect the back-side of your SV, it is extremely vulnurable to attack. So back up against walls and keep moving constantly, also use the side bursts to strafe around to shuffle incoming fire from the back, to the sides of your SV quickly, or you will be dead really soon.

As for your CHIP that you buy, it is IMPERATIVE that you repair the chip after each rumble. So be sure to visit Difference to repair it. Your chip will level and grow with each round.

Another way to get money is to buy lots and lots of stocks from the Option Mods at The Mechanist. When the stocks are cheap, buy a bunch, and then let them sit. Keep going back to The Mechanist to see if the price has gone up. When it has gone up a considerable ammount, sell them back.

All of the items in the shops fluctuate between each day, and each server you are in (hong kong, tokyo, london, cairo, etc etc). So be sure to check back when you are in the mood to purchase something.

Early on I would pick up an extra weapon to fill up the empty weapon slot your SV will have right away. Then also pick up an Option slot tool kit of some sort to increase your armor a bit. You will want to continue concentrating on D-Rank matches to earn cash, so don't go bezerk upgrading your SV just yet.

Finally, in the SV-Hangar, use the test run option to practice with your SV! This can be invaluable for honing your SV piloting skills.

I will have some more information as I spend more time with the game, but this should help you get going and progressing, and not feel like you are trudging through mud.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:47 am
quote : #3
Thanks for the advice, I had an another go last night and iv began to make some progress.
Iv saved up enough to get some Heavy Machine Guns and a Rocket Launcher.
But Im now getting the problem that im over weight?

So I then had a look at the Body and Leg Mods to see if I could get some new legs that could carry more weight.
But I found the way that it shows the weight the Legs them self and the weight that they can carry confusing.

As all the legs for sale are heavier then the ones iv got so would this add to my overall weight?
Or have I got this all wrong and the over weight message im getting means that im over weight for the class im fighting in?