Page 2 of 2
Bawitback
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:12 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Quote:
Here's the deal. Any online game takes a while for it to slip into this communities rotation. I know S.L.A.I. has been out a while now, but there are certain games users will buy right on release, and there are other games users will wait until the price drops because they just can't afford it. For instance, if a new Metroid or AC game comes out, I'm at the store or I have a pre-order in no questions asked. I pay full price for these games, and feel every penny I spent was worth it. Due to me not being ultra rich, and tracking down so many other games, I sometimes can't afford to pick up another game right away. I'm sure this is like this for other people as well.

I agree.

Quote:
This game has a very Japanese-esque online setup. Not just because you can play against Japanese gamers, but its website, as well as its online setup is very much like Dreamcast games, or like many other features for online ps2 games in japan. Very much in the same veign as the Capcom games. I really like online games that are like this. The developers are much more involved with the website, and the online features tend to have some wierd thing or interface function that you wouldn't find on a game that was developed by western developers.

Yes. Battles are happening in the game 24/7. Where you can attend anytime you want. Or if you perfer, you could check the players out while they battle (via observer) Even when you go online, this remains the same. When you are defeated in a battle, a user takes your place. and the process repeats.

Quote:

EDIT: Well, ok I just ordered SLAI. I checked Amazon to see what the game was going for and got it for $15.71 after shipping. I just couldn't pass up that price. So I guess you'll see me online soon Bawitback. Smile

Great! I'll be on tomorrow afternoon.
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:55 am
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
Its going to be a few days before I get this, as its still on its way in the mail. I'll let you know when I got it.

P.S. Does this game have Buddy Lists? Also, does it have LAN? I don't think this game has LAN as I already asked on GameFaqs about a month ago but the person gave a dodgey response. So just asking again to re-clarrify.
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm
quote : #18
So how does S.L.A.I. play? Is it similar to MechAssault (use one analog stick to move, another to aim) or Armored Core? My PS2 isn't here right now, but I did see this for $20. I'm also a mech junkie, but more of the arcade variety.

-Mytho
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:58 pm
quote : #19
This game is very different than Armored Core. SLAI is more like "junk bots" or something. They don't really feel like "mechs" but more like scrap heap robots. The fact that it is different than AC is a good thing. We get a new AC every year, so we don't need some clone in the mix as well. SLAI controls like an FPS. Which is both good and bad. The good thing is, anyone can play this game, it is very easy to control. The bad part is there isn't as much of a feel difference when you are switching parts around. For instance in AC when you change your weight even the slightest you can feel that difference. Plus, since there is no "skill" to pilot the robot / mech in SLAI, this takes a lot out of the gameplay.

Armored Core will always be the defacto standard in mech arena combat. It does everything right, and has been molding itself since it first sprouted on the Playstation 1. In Armored Core a big part of the competition was learning how to effectivly control the game. In SLAI there is no control factor, and basically players will win matches almost by default if they have the most expensive weapons. The game does have some strategy involved, however, if you are far in the game, you will win online. With Armored Core it isn't like this. You could take a rough AC and dodge missles and attacks and take someone out with just a handgun and a single rocket missile launcher. There is so much more SKILL involved with playing AC. The fact that SLAI doesn't have this depth is a bit dissapointing as far as online is concerned. (because most of the people playing from North America are gamefaqs gamers who act like they are 9 years old...and probobly are)

If you have ever seen the stats screen for Armored Core, SLAI's is about 1/4th as complex. Weight vs Speed is the biggest factor here, and you can tune parts except....so far as I can tell adjusting the weight is all you can tune. You have your basic ammo, armor, recoil stats, but its just not as insanely detailed as AC is. Your SV contruction is sort of limited because parts are limited by manufacturer. Imagine only being able to make a Crest AC with Crest parts in Armored Core....thats how SLAI is.

SLAI's strengths come from its Deathmatch-esque rumbles, and its RPG elements. You get this thing called a Chip which is like A.I. that learns and grows. Then the shops all have items in them that change with each passing day. So some stuff is available one day, and some stuff on others. SLAI has no Missions, its all this long winded arena competition with tons of SV's and also this sub enemies which are sprinkled into the matches to make the battles more intense (great that they did this, since they really do make the rumbles more fun). The RPG elements are what make the game so addictive.

SLAI is just a different game, which is a good thing. Its offline game is worth the price of admission alone. The back of the box says 50+ hour single player campaign, but I think that is if you rush it. This game has hundreds of hours of gameplay in it, because you could spend 50 hours just playing through with a single SV from a single manufacturer. If you enjoy a chat based online mode with a great interface, then you will love this game (especially if you used to play Dreamcast games such as Outtrigger).

I really like SLAI, and think it is a great game. It is nothing like Armored Core though, and doesn't even come close to AC's competative precision. This isn't to say that SLAI is a bad game, as Armored Core is a tough act to follow.

I could keep on rambling about this, since once I fully flesh out SLAI I will sometime write up a full one Mech comparison with Armored Core detailing what makes these games so different. Actually comparing them is actually pretty stupid since they don't have a whole lot in common. But, they are both network enabled mech games on the Playstation 2, and explaining what makes them so different allows people to decide whether buy into one or both of these game franchises.
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:46 pm
quote : #20
Thanks for the write-up nikon. Sounds like a game I'd be interested in.

BTW, guess what I finally got? A USB keyboard! I just check the stats for S.L.A.I. and saw KB support! Yes! And you said Grubensau is getting this game as well, right? Maybe the infamous 'smoke room' from Outtrigger will rise from the ashes? Laughing

-Mytho
Posted:
Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm
quote : #21
The smoke room already rose from the ashes :] Remember me, DaMan, and Grub play Toca 2 Smile Its chat is superb!
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:25 am
quote : #22
WTF is a smokeroom?
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 am
quote : #23
Well, on the Dreamcast, a game called Outtrigger we played regularly every weekend. Grubensau smokes, so he often would name the game room "smoke room", because he would need to take breaks to smoke a bit. He'd still be at the match, but would be just rolling a new one hehe. So often times Grub will say "smoke break". So we'd all hang out and chat, while he smoked. It was sort of a thing that just started on Outtrigger. We would chat about games, and then play a few rounds. We would often be doing this for well over 4 hours. (Ahhh those were the days)

On top of that Outtrigger is an amazing game and one of the greatest FPS's I have ever played.

On the Playstation 2, I am often looking for opportunities to create a similar environment to this. The game needs to be cross region compatible, so finding a game that is both cross region compatible and has extensive lobby chat and usb keyboard support, is not too easy.

I have big support for games that have keyboard chat, since this was such a mainstay for communication on the DC. Plus I prefer this method of communication as it is. Since you can talk, get up and get a drink without telling anyone, and not miss out on the conversation.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:33 pm
quote : #24
I thought you were refering to a room where you sat around and smoked marijuana and shared what you were feeling with others :/

People do that on Socoms alot.
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:50 pm
quote : #25
Well, this is a bit different. We basically just chat about video games. Its basically just play a round, chat some, play a few rounds, chat some more. Sometimes all we are doing is playing with intermittent chat. But the nice chat room enables the ability to sit back and have a real conversation. Whereas some other games don't.

Socom's chat box is pretty small. Reminds me of Ooga Booga or Starlancer's lobby hehe.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:40 pm
quote : #26
People would do this stuff over the headset :/
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 pm
quote : #27
TheMytho wrote:
Maybe the infamous 'smoke room' from Outtrigger will rise from the ashes?

hahaahaha!!

sweet.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
grubensau
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:16 am
quote : #28
Ready 2 rumble Razz