Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
One of, if not the major disappointments about Phantasy Star Universe, was that the online experience and offline experience were set to be different. Offline you were to have a single player standard RPG story mode where you play with a pre-set character design. This concept is not foreign to the Phantasy Star franchise. After all this is what Phantasy Star started out as. Had this game been an offline only game, none of us would have complained. However, since the game has an online multiplayer mode in the same vein as PSO, people were saddened to hear that this mode would be only available online.

There are Gamers who want to dive into PSU and have it be their primary new online RPG. Then there are other gamers, such as myself, who are still dedicated to playing the original PSO, or are playing other RPG’s. We don’t necessarily have the money or time to dive head on into the online world of Phantasy Star Universe. Some of us would much rather just play solo offline, at our own pace.

The idea of creating your own unique character, and designing it’s look just how you want it, and taking it through the various areas of the game is one of the most rewarding aspects of PSO.

So, on the Official Website Sonic Team added information on “Extra Mode”. After you progress through the Single Player experience, the Extra Mode becomes available. You will be given your own room, as well as a mechanic partner. This time around you won’t be leveling all by yourself. You can take other A.I. controlled NPC’s along with you. The amount of playable areas and characters available to take with you are determined by your progress in Story Mode. This mode is just like Phantasy Star Online, where the game-play is infinite and you can play as long as you like.

It doesn’t matter how you decided to take advantage of PSU as a game, this news is good news no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by lordnikon on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:54 pm
quote : #2
On 1 side i'm glad to hear it, but on the other side of the coin my mind drifts to some basement where some oddball is still recovering from the fact the game got pushed back, who is now leaping for joy at a chance to perfect their cheatin' ways. Confused

I guess we'll see how it goes down this fall.
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:22 pm
quote : #3
Well, as far as offline characters relating to cheating. There wasn't any information that the offline character you create in Extra Mode can be taken online. So I don't think this news increases any chances of cheating. I think cheating will end up happening regardless. it just depends on how well Sega, Sonic Team, and Sony over at their DNAS department are prepared to deal with the situation.

I'm really glad I can now buy this game, and be able to create a character and just play it on my own time. I already spend 8.95 a month religiously for my GameCube PSO Hunters Liscense. I can't afford paying for PSU at the moment. Not only this, but since I run OC, am playing many many games and prefer PSO over PSU, and trying to gear up support for multiple online titles I have to pick and choose my battles. There are only so many hours in the day and OC's overall game count grows with each passing month due to the Playstation 2 site.

At first I had planned to just sit back and wait and not get this game, since I little immediate interest in playing through PSU with the lead characters in just story mode.

However now that I will be able to eventually create my own character and just work on it at my leisure offline, I am now excited again about PSU's release.

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:15 am:

EDIT: Hey everyone, PSO-World recently confirmed my own speculation:

You will not be able to use your Extra Mode character online. Your Online and Extra Mode characters will be seperate. This announcement should not come as a major surprise since we already knew that Online Mode characters will be saved on the server. It appears Sonic Team created this mode to cater to people that may not have access to Online Gameplay. Also, this will help make Online Mode more secure since you will not be able to alter your character offline and go online (like Blue Burst).

So theirs your answer DaMan :] I am extremly excited that Sonic Team chose to go this route.