lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:13 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I still can't figure out how to get solid kills with the Bolt Caster. I manage to get some headshots in here and there, but for the most part I am dead before I am able to charge up for a second shot. When I am the CIS though, the Republic seems to always drop me with the Bolt Caster, but when I use it, I can barely do anything with it.

Has anyone unlocked the mysteries of this seemingly useless weapon?
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:28 am
quote : #2
Well, I tend to use the bowcaster in close-quarters combat so I can hopefully get multiple hits on one person and I aim more for their body than their head. I actually havent played for awhile (I gave up videogames for lent), I didnt even play that much even then, but this strategy seemed to get me a few kills here and there. It's difficult to do since wookies are pretty slow so you usually have to hide around for a bit and suprising the enemy with you're bowcaster.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:53 pm
quote : #3
No no no, not the Bowcaster. Laughing I said BOLT caster. It is used by the pilot class on the republic. It shoots out a burst of electricity, and you have to charge the weapon to fire.
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:15 pm
quote : #4
Yeah, I have no idea how to use it effectively . . . I just assumed it was supposed to be a pile since it's a pilot weapon. However, if you charge it up all the way and get a headshot in, it ought to kill CIS units in one shot. In fact, I don't even know that you need a headshot . . . is it not doing that for you? And it's definitely a crap weapon if you're facing a large enemy force since it takes so long to fully charge. I think (not sure on this because I haven't played in a while) that you can also tap the button and kind of pulse the weapon for five shots or so (that do minimal damage each). Honestly though, I'd just say you're getting unlucky and getting hit by a fully charged shot when you play as CIS . . . I just don't think there's any real secret to the weapon. It can kill in one shot and is slow to charge. It works that way because you're supposed to be in a vehicle, and that's about it.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:10 pm
quote : #5
Its not unlucky. It's called the CPU Advantage. The AI can charge up and get a headshot easily because it was coded this way. This same thing happens when other characters fire one shot with any weapon and you die instantly because they got a headshot. So this isn't being unlucky, it is how the game was designed.

Yes you can get headshots and take out a CIS in one shot. But what are the odds of that? Especially when playing online. The shot duration is too long when going up against someone who is lobbing grenades at you and unloading blaster fire in every direction.

As for working that way because you are supposed to be in a vehicle, I don't think that was the logic behind the character. Every other pilot class in the game has a decent attack weapon, except the republic's pilot.

So far the only thing I can do with the bolt caster is take down Geonosians on a regular basis.