Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Many of you are aware that when the Slim Playstation 2 was released in North America, it included both a broadband port, and a modem port. After this wave of consoles hit the market, new models were created removing the dialup modem support from the console. The only Slim models to support dialup are the North American models SCPH-70011 CB and SCPH-70012 CB. These can be distinguished by their yellow box packaging. The newer models lacking modem support are in a white box.

The latest Playstation 2 slim model in North America, SCPH-75001, has a series of software compatibility problems with the following online games:

ATV Offroad Fury 3
Everquest Online Adventures: Frontiers
Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm
Street Racing Syndicate
ESPN NBA 2K5
Fight Night Round 2
Major League Baseball 2K5
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005

There is a new silver slim model released in Europe that may also have compatibility issues with online software titles.

If these games are important to you, and you want the option for dialup, it is recommended that you acquire a standard model Playstation 2, and track down a North American network adaptor.

The games above may be playable on the SCPH-75001, but there are compatibility issues, which Sony has failed to document. A game might lock up on a specific mission, or fail to save to the memory card. Some of the above games might work perfectly fine online, but would have a problem in the single player campaign. So the games probably run, but there is something in the game that breaks. At the moment we have no information on the severity of the compatibility issues.

On a side note, I also found out more information on i.LINK and which consoles support it. To network i.LINK games, a Playstation 2 with a model number ranging anywhere from SCPH-10000-SCPH-39010 is required. The i.LINK port can be found on Asian, North American, and European Playstation 2 consoles.

I have added all of this to the important information areas of the Online Game List for future reference.

We also now have 2 topics available for discussing the games which are having problems with this new model:

Online Games: Click Here
Offline Games: Click Here

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:24 pm
quote : #2
No more dial-up support in the new slim PS2s? Sad ...I find it a bit odd that broadband-only games like Jungle Storm reside within that list, also. Disappointing to hear about the incompatibilities.
Posted:
Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 am
quote : #3
MICHAE2414 wrote:
I find it a bit odd that broadband-only games like Jungle Storm reside within that list, also.

*confused* why do you find it odd that Jungle Storm is having compatibility issues?
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 pm
quote : #4
Oh, I just sensed that because the dial-up networking in the new slim PS2s was removed, those above games were having some issues. The way I interpreted it was that only online titles that support dial-up and broadband would be affected because of the missing modem capabilities (which is why I found bb-only GR:JS a surprise to see), but I guess I'm mistaken.
Posted:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:53 pm
quote : #5
No no, re-read the post.

There are 2 seperate things here.

1.) Newer Playstation 2 slim models do not have a modem.

2.) A variety of software titles both online and offline have compatibility problems with the very latest slim model PS2.
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:56 pm
quote : #6
I sometimes don't understand Sony. I understand that it will cut down on costs but its also leaving people out of online play.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:55 pm
quote : #7
Normally I would agree. But, when you look at the demographics of dialup gamers, there is MORE than enough old model playstation 2's, and network adaptors to feed this need. This isn't even close to the Dreamcast BBA situation. So while it is dissapointing that someone wouldn't be able to get a slim model with dialup support, I don't think that dialup users are being restricted from getting online.
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:33 pm
quote : #8
Actually for the American market only the first slimline PS2 model #70001came with broadband only. All newer model numbers of the PS2 slimline (model #'s 70011, 70012, and 75001) have both broadband and dialup for the American market.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm
quote : #9
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have any proof of the network compatibility with SCPH-75001 slim models?

I was basing my information on the specs listed at playstation.com. Sony could have been wrong, which they often are, but it was the most credible source I had at the time of this research.

Here is what is stated in the FAQ on network troubleshooting:

Quote:
What are the networking specifications of the Network Adaptor and SCPH-70000 series PlayStation2 system?

The Network Adaptor, SCPH-70011 PlayStation2 system, and SCPH70012 PlayStation2 system offer both Broadband and Dial-up connectivity, featuring a 10/100 Base-T Ethernet capability combined with a 56K V.90 analog modem. The SCPH-70001 and SCPH-75001 PlayStation2 systems offer Broadband connection capability, featuring a built-in 10/100 Base-T Ethernet adaptor.

I checked the manual for the SCPH-75001, and it doesn't list a line input under its spec listing. Also, the diagrams all show just a single "network" input for broadband.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:50 pm
quote : #10
Hello, thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. Yes, Sony on their website also stated in their hardware section, where they give a brief description of the slimline, state that for the US they include both the dialup modem and broadband ports because the larger number of people still have dialup. Also I own the first production run model of the slimliine model #70001 which only has the broadband port and I also own the next model run slimline model #70012 which has both the dialup and broadband ports. Also if you check the side of the box of the current model #75001 in US stores you will see it shows both broadband and dialup ports that the console supports.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:33 pm
quote : #11
I did some more investigating and on a few sites also saw the Line adaptor mentioned int he tech specs. Thanks for spotting this. I will be sure to clarrify this in the Important Information areas of the Online Game Lists.