Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
yoshinatsu
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 12, 2006 4:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
OK, here's the situation. I have my PS2 Slim (Black), a PC with broadband and an Ethernet cable and the online games I like. What else do I need to play online? Also, what configurations will my PC need (XP SP2)?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri May 12, 2006 4:08 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi, and welcome to the website.

First of all, what is your network setup like?

Do you have a router?
Is your PC connected directly to the cable / dsl modem?
rank 1
Posted:
Fri May 12, 2006 4:13 pm
quote : #3
I have a 384kbps ADSL Connection.
I don't have a router.
I have my PC directly connected to the modem and then going directly to the line.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri May 12, 2006 5:57 pm
quote : #4
Ok here is what you need to do. You will have to have 2 network cards installed on your PC. Then you will need to setup internet connection sharing. This is relativly easy to do. Just search google for "Internet Connection Sharing" for Windows XP. 1 network card will be connected to the internet, and the other will be connected to the PS2 and setup to share the internet connecion. You will also need a "cross over cable" to connect the PS2 to the 2nd ethernet card. This cable is slightly different than a standard ethernet cable (which won't work).

Then you will need a network setup disc (which I believe came with your slim model if you have a brand new one that you bought). If you don't there are many online games that have a network setup tool on them.

From here you can setup your PS2 with "automatic" settings, which is pretty easy to do.

This will get you online and gaming with your PS2.

To be honest, if you have the money, I would go out and buy a LinkSys router. It would be easier to setup and you could have proper security for your PC and have your PS2 DMZ'd so it would be free to connect to the net via any port it chooses. (Here is a good recommendation, the LINKSYS BEFSR41)

If you are really really tight on money, and have no choice but to try and setup ICS (internet connection sharing), I advise that you buy your second ethernet card and cross-over cable online. If you buy these in a store like best buy, you will get completly reamed on the price. It will cost you twice as much.
rank 1
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 5:03 am
quote : #5
Thank you very much for helping me out!
However... I heard some things for the mod chip.
I'm unable to play these cool games while I have a mod chip?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 5:21 am
quote : #6
If you have a mod chip installed in your Playstation 2 then you are pretty much out of luck. All PAL Region Playstation 2 games, and most NTSC games use DNAS, an authentication system that will detect if your system is using a mod chip.

So you won't be able to play games online on official servers.
rank 7
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 11:36 am
quote : #7
I thought most hard-modded systems had a bypass switch that you could flip when you wanted to go online, but maybe yours doesn't. My guess is that it wouldn't be hard at all to put in a switch like that if you wanted and didn't mind taking your system apart.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 12:33 pm
quote : #8
Yea but yoshinatsu already is having trouble figuring out how to get his system online. So explaining how to bypass the modchip would take way too long to explain. Plus, if he is using pirated games then the bypass switch doesn't matter, and also I don't offer tech support for people who pirate their game titles.
rank 1
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 2:22 pm
quote : #9
I see... Are there any unofficial servers or something?

Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 3:08 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Yea but yoshinatsu already is having trouble figuring out how to get his system online. So explaining how to bypass the modchip would take way too long to explain. Plus, if he is using pirated games then the bypass switch doesn't matter, and also I don't offer tech support for people who pirate their game titles.

Oh, I wasn't thinking pirated games for some reason . . . I was thinking it was modded to be region free . . . naive little me. Either way, it would certainly probably be best to at least get the connection working first.