Page 1 of 1
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
ok i tried to get DSL all hyped and whatnot but as i talked to woman over the phone i hit a brickwall the woman at sbc/at&t dsl told me that their DSL will not work with windows ME..this puzzles me because i thought dsl worked with anything because i remember the older windows 95 computers at my school working with it. Is this woman right?
Posted:
Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:50 pm
quote : #2
I can't imagine DSL not working with Windows ME (even though ME has/had more bugs than a humid swamp). The only thing is that the USB drivers for the modem may not support ME, but if your going to be using an ethernet card, then you'll be fine.

-Mytho
Posted:
Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:08 pm
quote : #3
yea man exactly what i was thinking and i am going to be using an ethernet card to unless....do i HAVE to install that cd that comes with the service? I went to a friends house and used his dsl and he installed that cd and i thought the program performed horribly
Posted:
Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:12 pm
quote : #4
Gforce wrote:
do i HAVE to install that cd that comes with the service?i used the companys cd that came with the service and it performed horrribly

No, you don't have bother with that install CD. It's pretty useless, as Windows will automatically detect the network connection. You can set your e-mail account up over the provider's website.

-Mytho
Posted:
Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:01 am
quote : #5
Buying a router will solve all of your problems.

LINKSYS BEFSR41
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:48 pm
quote : #6
Cool aight i got to the bottom of this mess and it turns out microsoft announced they no longer provided support for Windows 98 or ME so he dsl provider wont support these OS's either..but despite all the jibber jabber ill finalllllly have broadband Mr. Green ...tss a process 4 years in the making.....but i can feel its going to be a major headache getting all this crap setup when i get it...
Posted:
Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:41 pm
quote : #7
As long as you get a router like nikon said, you should be alright. DO NOT GET A NETGEAR ROUTER. I don't care how good of a deal you'll get, avoid that brand at all costs, as those routers are terrible for online gaming.

-Mytho
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm
quote : #8
one last thing i called them today and said i was going to play my games online with the dsl.I really just dont want to buy a router all i want ot do is conect the modem directly to my ps2 and play can i do this? because the person on the phone said that wont work either
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:53 pm
quote : #9
Yeah, you can. Worst thing you'd probably have to do is power down the DSL modem each time you switched the cable from the PS2 to your computer, which makes a router that much easier (for one thing).
Posted:
Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:03 pm
quote : #10
It got activated Mr. Green but the headaches just wont end Neutral .I have problems with just certain online games everything i got seems to work fine except for Midnight club 3,2 will work online fine but 3 its just weird i'll connect and everything but once i select join game the whole game just freezes and the modem activity light stops blinking,then 5 minutes later everything will come unfrozen and it will give me that 611 DNS server problem error.Anyone know why this is? and the other game is socom but this problem is minor.Everytime i log into the game i get disconnected the second i hit the screen where you choose the brefing rooms then i have to wait awhile to relog in since the game still thinks im still on but it only does this once every time.Any idea of this either?