Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:54 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
As is the custom for Japanese Online gaming, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII will be going offline in Japan on September 29, 2006. This game featured an online multi-player mode in the Japanese release, which ran over SquareEnix’s PlayOnline service. This multiplayer mode will not be featured in the North American release of the game. This news adds to the growing number of Playstation 2 titles going offline worldwide in 2006. By the end of the year 23 titles will have been terminated in 2006.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:15 pm
quote : #2
Well this kinda sucks, I was really looking forward to getting Dirge of Cerberus and playing it online. I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy VII and have been anticipating this title for quite sometime. But I wonder how well it plays, it doesn't seem like it's very good if they're taking it down already, especially after it being out for a few months. I suppose there are other possible reasons, but I guess I just had high hopes for this game, and still do sort of...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:47 pm
quote : #3
The game was never set to be online in North America. I had it as a speculated online title in the releases page, but pulled it after I learned confirmation of it not having online in north america. I should have said something about this a few months ago.

The fact that the Japanese version is going offline so soon is not indicative of the game's quality. I started off the news post with the phrase "as is the custom for japanese online gaming". This was a reference to how fast japanese games get taken offline.

Games such as SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals, Mojib-Ribbon, and Minna no Golf Online were online for an equally short timespan.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:03 pm
quote : #4
Ohh well I guess there's still hope for Dirge of Ceberus, but I was curious on how it was going to play online. I guess since I heard it was going to be online in Japan I assumed that it was gonna be online here too. It kinda sucks though that I won't get the chance to play it. Hopefully the single-player mode will be fun though.