Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:36 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So far, in-game advertising has primarily confined itself to the PC game market. Some dubious console titles like NFS Underground 2 have advertisements and company monikers integrated into the game-play. However no home console games have yet to feature ads that are controlled by an outside party. This could be changing soon as Demon Ware, a new comer to Playstation 2 network development, is pushing game makers to integrate rotating ad placement in the lobbies of their online titles.

So far I cannot discern which platform this feature is targeting. One could say that the PC market would be a given, and the Playstation 2 a possibility. If one looks at the DemonWare website, they can see Outrun 2006’s lobby being used as an example. I own the Playstation 2 version, and no such advertisements are found in that game (if there were you would surely have heard about it by now from me). Outrun 2006’s PC release may have lobby advertisements, but I doubt that it does. I think DemonWare was using the lobby shot just as an example.

The lobby advertising faq (http://www.demonware.net/prodla.html) section shows images of what could be the new Namco published racing game, Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Namco is one of the many publishers signed on as customers with DemonWare. On top of this companies such as Activision, Rebellion, Codemasters, THQ, and Atari (those who solely up until now have used GameSpy network kits) are also signed up (http://www.demonware.net/customers.html) with DemonWare. Activision has been using DemonWare and GameSpy to fuel their recent Call of Duty title.

With the growing number of companies allying with DemonWare, we could see one or two Playstation 2 titles with injected lobby advertisment systems before the years end.

Game companies are looking for all types of ways lately to line their pockets. Unfortunately, rather than make better games with more useful online feature sets, the look to methods of undermining the end user. It is a shame companies do not realize how much keyboard support and map rotation would help drive game sales.
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:49 pm
quote : #2
Yo....WHAT THE FUCK???? Question They need to go somewhere else with that Mad
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:51 pm
quote : #3
Yea I am hoping this is just for PC games. However, who knows, we might see a PS2 game crop up here with ad feeds.

I was excited at first to see DemonWare come into the scene, because it is always interesting to see new network dev kits pop up. However after the lackluster feature set that their devkits have, and this new lobby ad revenue system, I am not liking DemonWare very much at all.

<3 GameSpy
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:33 pm
quote : #4
lol I dont like the way their name sounds much less their logo
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:34 pm
quote : #5
I know this is a controversial opinion around here, but I honestly support this type of advertising as long as it either enhances the quality of online service or eliminates monthly fees. I'm not sure if that is true in this case since you mentioned a lackluster feature set, but I still will never understand the outrage over an icon in a lobby.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:12 pm
quote : #6
Apple wrote:
I know this is a controversial opinion around here, but I honestly support this type of advertising as long as it either enhances the quality of online service or eliminates monthly fees. I'm not sure if that is true in this case since you mentioned a lackluster feature set, but I still will never understand the outrage over an icon in a lobby.
yea but what if it turns into a 20second ad for every 3 times or so you enter the lobby? And I truthfully just can't think of what feature online game advertsing would grant us that we dont already have in our current online titles.
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:59 am
quote : #7
Apple wrote:
...but I still will never understand the outrage over an icon in a lobby.

Because everyone has different preferences regarding their game experience. You should understand why others are outraged over adverts in the lobby; for the same reason why you feel justified in accepting them.

Gforce wrote:
Apple wrote:
yea but what if it turns into a 20second ad for every 3 times or so you enter the lobby? And I truthfully just can't think of what feature online game advertsing would grant us that we dont already have in our current online titles.

Apple enjoys looking at advertisements if it somehow allows him to pay less money for a game title. Other people like us would rather pay more to not have ads in games. It is a difference of opinion. Personally I feel adverts take away from the gameplay experience and interupt what would otherwise be a decent interface for an online lobby.

The problem is publishers won't be bringing down the prices of games anytime soon. Ad placement in games is being used as an extra way to cut down development costs on a game to increase profits. They are not putting ads in to decrease prices for the consumer. When ads start getting implimented into lobbies, it means a less intuitive master list, and a smaller chat window.
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
quote : #8
Glad to see you mentined NFS2. Not only do you have to race around places like Burger King, but you have that silly cellphone symbol in the corner of your screen the whole time. And lets not forget Fight Night Round 3! You don't get cool looking golden gloves, but Burger King related trophies. Get enough, you'll unlock the Burger King himself.

Doesn't EA do something like charge you two bucks unless you accept ads from ESPN for their online titles? Just something I heard earlier.
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:43 pm
quote : #9
JimSensei wrote:

Doesn't EA do something like charge you two bucks unless you accept ads from ESPN for their online titles? Just something I heard earlier.

Dang wasn't that 2k sports doin that?
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:54 pm
quote : #10
If I remember right, it was EA. They had a disclaimer saying that it would cost $2 or $4 or something cheap for server access fees, but they had this "exciting new promotion" that would allow ESPN to eat the cost for you in exchange for your permission for them to barrage you with ads.

I think we had some posts about it here.

dannycas
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:10 pm
quote : #11
Yep, it was either $2 or get spam, basically. I don't own any games that directly have ads in them, but I've played some, and it can definitely get annoying.
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:16 am
quote : #12
Basically you guys will probably only have to worry about this bullshit from EA titles.

EA is such a bunch of sellout fuckers dude. They throw there logo on everything, buy all the independant companies and shit on the consumer.
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
I <3 Lord Nikon! Smile
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 pm
quote : #13
Nowadays, it seems like the EA logo is as prodominant in an game advertisement as the game itself - see Battlefield 2142, for example. Confused
Posted:
Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:37 am
quote : #14
It depends. If there's a banner on top of the lobby interface (think battle.net) then I don't mind. On the other hand, Gforce's example of the player being forced watching and waiting for ads to time out before playing, would be rather annoying. One possibility that'd be rather cool would be if the PS2 would download new ads for billboards in racing games.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:32 pm
quote : #15
My my main concern would be how this affects the online lifespan of a title? If we have games that cant be hosted independantly with adverts in will games end up being taken offline as soon as the player numbers drop off enough for advertising not to be viable. I certainly dont like the idea of games that would have been hosted by gamespy being moved elsewhere Sad Games hosted on gamespy seem to have a long lifespan Smile

Laters