Page Location: Home > Archive > Phantasy Star Universe (Archive) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was reading some more information about Phantasy Star Universe. I found out 2 things:

1.) You can't create snapshots

The lack of a snapshot feature is a major dissapointment. This was a huge feature in the Dreamcast and GameCube versions of PSO. Supposedly sega's excuse was that the PS2 doesn't have a browser. Yea, well, FFXI manages to allow for snapshots. Sega should have just come out with it, and admitted that they didn't add the feature because they didn't want to mess with it from a development standpoint.

2.) North American users won't be able to play with Japanese users

This is nuts. How can you call a game Phantasy Star "Universe" when the only people you can play with are in your own country. It always made me laugh, that EQoA, and MMO, was not cross region compatible between PAL and NTSC-U/C. Now it turns out Phantasy Star Universe will be doing the same thing. I guess sega feels that the Japanese players and North American users can't get along. The bigger problem however, is that because of this segregation, North American and European users could also be locked off from each other. This would be a real shame. So far the PS2 has not had an online RPG where PAL and NTSC-U/C users could play online together. This is quite frankly, INSANE.
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:33 pm
quote : #2
awww way ta bring a cats hopes down nikon. I thought the ps2 did sorta have a browser because when you register your char on resdient evil outbreak file #2 you get sent to something that looks alot like a webpage in thedc web browser. And on the international players problem thats just plain horrible! I ddint exactly venture into the japanese servers much on pso but when the japanese players came over and played games with me it was toatl joy becasue they were always good peoples and it was just plain cool playing wit someone across the world. I hope this changes Confused
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:45 pm
quote : #3
Yea the games on the PS2 that use the SNAP dev kit use the access browser for account registration. However, the only company currently using SNAP are Capcom, SNK Playmore, and Bandai. Mainly because this is the kit used in conjunction with the KDDI service in Japan. Sega is obviously trying to get away from their previous network kits and work with something entirely new.

Also Sonic Team's contract with access for browser technology in the GameCube versions of PSO probobly didn't include development on the PS2.

Sega probobly didn't have a license setup with an outside party for browser implimentation on PSU. Another reason why they might not have added a browser, was to prevent possible cheating. Remember, on the GameCube version of PSO one can use the original PSO Episode 1&2 to load homebrew code through the browser. Sega is tryng to keep PSU rather secure so I could see why they wouldn't want to include a browser.

Even still, one doesn't NEED a web browser to develop snapshots. They could have implimented a Proxy type solution where the game connected via a service online to develop the snapshots.

As for the cross region support, it is really dissapointing. One of the cool things about PSO, was that you could play with people from all over the world. I think when a game franchise likes Phantasy Star begins to segregate, it really takes away from the experience.
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:58 pm
quote : #4
So basically, the OC playerbase is going to be split in two. That sucks.

As for snapshots, that sucks as well. FFXI allowed that because you got your own e-mail account through PlayOnline and could just e-mail your shots to your personal email account and print/host them from there. They should have set up a generic e-mail server that you could send your pictures through in-game. Or maybe let you save them to the HDD, or at least a memory stick.

DaMan
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:53 am
quote : #5
Snapshots: "hmmmm"

Splitting the regions: Tthat Really is sad, I have atleast 1 friend on 1up who was planning on getting the japanese version of the game, and we were planning on meeting up online. Ho hum
fanoid
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:42 pm
quote : #6
This could well be the worsed news ever !

If it turns out that PSU isnt going to be cross region between NTSC-U and PAL regions than i for one will NOT be buying PSU

I just dont think there will be enough people playing it in PAL regions to make this worth while.

I was going to be buying a brand new ps2 just for PSU after mine broke down a few months ago.

SEGA please dont let me down again !