Topic: PS2 Net Viruses?

Page 1 of 1
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Now that the PS2 is going to have a hard drive, along with the existing network connection, is it possible that hackers can send viruses over the networks and infect the PS2 hard drive; just like they do with PC's?

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:44 pm
quote : #2
i was wondering the samne the other day if the can hack through a ps2 and onto say a home network is that even possible ......

Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:50 pm
quote : #3
The only thing they could probably do is just corrupt it and in that case Sony would probably just reformat it for you if it is under warranty or it becomes a widespread problem. On the other hand do you see people hacking into Xboxes? No, because there isn't anything to really take and it is hardly worth the effort anyways.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:02 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Not possible. Viruses are programmed to infect specific systems and infect specific software. if PS2 or an xbox were running linux...then yes it could get infect. If there are no protocols to exploit or no where to go the virus can't do anything it just stops. There is no way for it to get onto the HD and even if it did, it couldn't do anything at all. It would be a foreign environment. It's like taking your everyday normal malicious virus and putting it onto a PDA for instance. It's just going to sit there.

A virus is only dangerious when it comes in contact with a system environment the programmer originally intended the virus to come in contact with.
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:31 am
quote : #5
Metal_4evr wrote:
The only thing they could probably do is just corrupt it and in that case Sony would probably just reformat it for you if it is under warranty or it becomes a widespread problem. On the other hand do you see people hacking into Xboxes? No, because there isn't anything to really take and it is hardly worth the effort anyways.

yeah but even if there wasnt any thing to take, people just liket to do those types of thing as just annoyences TRUST ME ...... and if the account info for lets say an xbox live account from the hardrive on an xbox that in it self is worth the effort ......

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:31 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Metal_4evr wrote:

I sure hope I wouldn't have to wait for Sony to reformat it, and even when it's under warrenty... There should be a disc with the US version of the BBA software on it when you get your HD. This disc allows you to reformat the HD, and maybe do other things. If Sony doesn't release this disc in the US, that's just really bad on their part... I'm not saying that because I don't want to pay for another harddrive, I'm saying that cause someone may unintentionally corrupt their harddrive and they'd need a way to fix it on their own.

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:48 pm
quote : #7
Why would u even wanna hack a PS2 i see no point. O u better not make fun of me guys or ill erase all your mem cards Shocked .Maby the revenge of the nerds is the ony point lol.