Page Location: Home > Archive > Phantasy Star Universe (Archive) > Topic
U-235
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
All this time I've been saying I wouldn't be playing PSU, well curiosity has gotten the better of me. I went to the local gamestop and asked if they had a copy and they did. I *almost* got one of those music CD's that went along with preorders but they didn't have an extra copy of that. Anyway I don't know how this game will work over ICS so I may not do too much online, but I definitely will take it online at some point. Got a babysitter for tonight so I can play the offline part uninterrupted. Mr. Green
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:37 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I got this game on Thursday. Went online the same day. I absolutely love it! This is everything PSOGC was and should have been and more. I mean, you can freaking synth weapons! I'm just 1ATP away from using my Fire Lance +3, but my Dark Twin Stingers are holding me over until then <_<

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:45 pm
quote : #3
For those who have played PSU online: How would you classify the performance of the online mode? I've read a few articles in various magazines and from PSO-World that the PS2 version suffers from some minor slowdown when you are on a mission with five other people. Is it enough to really distract from the game?
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:48 pm
quote : #4
The slowdown is there. Oh is it there. I don't let it bother me much, as it'll clear up, and it's really only there when you have five other people AND quite a few monsters on-screen. Since you can just button mash for your three hit combo, there's no affect from the slowdown.... just the... slowness... of it all...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 pm
quote : #5
satoshi wrote:
This is everything PSOGC was and should have been and more.

This is an individual preference. To me, GC PSO is the ultimate online phantasy star experience. Not only from a pricing standpoint, but from a featureset as well (PSO EP1-3, process screens, etc etc).

For those of you who were looking for a "NEW" experience with Phantasy Star, then yes I can see how people would think PSU should have happened a long time ago. In many respects I agree. Sonic Team sure did stretch out the Dreamcast PSO for a while there. However I am still of the opinion that PSO on GameCube is the ultimate iteration of the franchise spawning out of the original DC release (Blue Burst is too mutated, and features weapons and environments that are too "psu-esque" in terms of their design).

I am a fan of the original PSO first and foremost. My loyalty and gameplay preference lies with PSO. However do not misunderstand me. I do not feel that PSU shoud be ignored or that PSU is some how lower on the ladder than PSO. I am happy that Sonic Team did something new and took the Phantasy Star franchise to another level. Doing the same thing over and over and over again is unecessary. I would have hated for the online phantasy star franchise to be like Madden.

It is great to see everyone playing PSU, and I am happy that you guys are excited about the game. I will be engaging in discussions with you guys about the game of course, however my vantage point will be mostly from an offline point of view. Since I have relegated the game to spare offline time, due to my focus laying on other online RPG's such as Monster Hunter and DC / GC PSO.

TheMytho wrote:
For those who have played PSU online: How would you classify the performance of the online mode? I've read a few articles in various magazines and from PSO-World that the PS2 version suffers from some minor slowdown when you are on a mission with five other people. Is it enough to really distract from the game?

Ehhh, the Dreamcast version had slowdown. Endless nightmare + Force = definate slowdown. So I don't think it is something that would bother me too much. Unless of course the system was entirely crippled and locking up hehe.
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:33 pm
quote : #6
Slowdown in a Phantasy Star game.... that's something I'm completely used to. When I go online with it that won't bother me a bit. Mr. Green