Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently purchased the Japanese Limited Edition of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence. I bought it because the US Limited Edition is harder to track down, and I got the LE version for a very good deal. I paid $39.90 for it brand new. I figured, if I am going to buy the JP version of MGS3, I might as well get the LE version now at this price, rather than spending a full 69.90 on the regular version. When the game goes offline, atleast I would have the LE version to show for it.

Unfortunatly a few days after buying this, I learned the Japanese version was set to go offline, dooming the fate of MGO in all territories. (see news for discussion on this)

Last night I got online with MGS3 and played with Japanese players. I had a "yellow" bandwidth indicator, but the in-game action was smooth. I think I was straddling the line between yellow and green, or atleast 'high-yellow' performance. It was funny hearing the shortcut phrases in japanese instead of english. In most games I would prefer the japanese, but I like the english voice overs on the phrases so much. They are hilarious. The japanese phrases seem, not so interesting to me. Probobly because I do not know japanese and thus cannot perceive the phoenetics.

One interesting note is that at first I was unable to sign online with the game. I was getting a 428 time out error. After some troubleshooting I determined it was coming from my 4 port netgear hub. I directly connected to the router and was able to connect just fine. Which is good because I was getting frustrated and worried when I was getting the 428 error on ICS as well. (But that was going through the netgear hub set to uplink also.)

I am going to record some video of some matches before the Japanese version goes offline.

This is pretty cool though being online with a Japanese PS2 online title. I am going to try to get online with others as well, but this game was one of the easy ones. It requires no extra signup or monthly fees.
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:08 pm
quote : #2
How did you get online with a JP PS2 game? I MGS3 not region-locked or something?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:06 am
quote : #3
Using a Japanese Playstation 2 of course Wink