Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Medal of Honor Rising Sun is a Playstation 2 online exclusive. It is also Electronic Arts’ longest running online title for home console. It has been online since November 11th 2003. Rising Sun has been very popular, and managed to remain the only online console MOH title in existence. On August 8th, Rising Sun’s online service started experiencing technical difficulties. Users can sign online and reach the Master List, and host a game. When you host a game you must select which regional location you are hosting from. Your game is then listed within that region, and it will appear in the master list. There is a current problem preventing these regions from displaying to joining clients.

At the beginning of August, EA embarked on their usual 6 month cleaning program, shutting down servers to gear customers towards new releases. I had feared Medal of Honor Rising Sun was terminated along with these games. EA might have shut it off without informing the public, assuming it was a title they forgot to terminate the previous year.

I contacted EA’s customer support service online, and received an email the next day stating:

(1) “Unfortunately, we have retired the online service for this particular title. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun the site is no longer available as EAGAMES would like to dedicate all its resources for upcoming titles.” - Mark Allen D.C.

Here are some other responses EA’s support line spat out to various customers:

(2) “A senior tech has noted your email. Unfortunately, as of 1st of August 2006 this title will no longer be available online. All of us at EA Sports would like to thank you for participating in our valued online community, and hope that your enthusiasm for these games continues into the 07 season and beyond.

We understand when we retire an online service there will be players that are disappointed. As the 2006 and 2007 titles have been out for some time now, we must dedicate our resources to the upcoming titles so that we can continue to offer the best online gaming experience available.”

(3) “I'm sorry for the inconvenience, we've already shutdown our online servers since August 1, 2006. If you're still able to play the game until August 8, 2006, I guess those servers are 3rd party servers and we don't have support for that, I'm sorry.”

(4) “You are true that it would be unfair if there was not a notice. There will be a notice if and when the servers are shut down for good but currently this is an issue with games not showing up in the lobbies that the team is currently working on fixing.”

Wow. What are they smoking over there at Electronic Arts? It seems if their employees do not have the right answer, they just make up information.

On August 9th a user-created thread was posted on the EA Nation message boards about Rising Sun being retired. On the 10th Medal of Honor community manager “BlackHatAA” replied saying he had no knowledge of a Rising Sun shutdown, and would look into the matter. EA started looking into the master list problems with Rising Sun on the 11th and as of the 17th has made no significant progress.

I personally asked BlackHatAA if Rising Sun had either been terminated, or if there was a technical problem with the game. He responded saying that it was indeed a technical problem and Rising Sun had no plans to be terminated. However this didn’t last long, because on August 15th EA posted their 90 days termination warning, that Medal of Honor Rising Sun would have its network functions terminated on November 15th 2006.

Does this mean Medal of Honor Rising Sun will be permanently offline? Not necessarily.

A few years ago I discovered via accident that Rising Sun has a LAN capability, which reveals itself after the DNAS authentication screen. If you can get the game to authenticate via DNAS first, and then error out at the master list, it will then give you prompt saying that you can still host a LAN session. A simple way to see this error is to let it authenticate with DNAS and then power down your cable / dsl modem immediately as it starts to search for the master list.

A big reason for this is because Rising Sun did not use the same network kit as other EA titles. It does not require you to login to the EA Nation network with a username and password. EA outsourced the network development to an outside party. The same programmer that worked on Tribes Aerial Assault and Area 51, also worked on Medal of Honor Rising Sun. One can see similarities between these titles. Each game had a simple buddy list, and an easy to navigate master server list.

This means in theory users could tunnel MOH Rising Sun online, if the LAN function does indeed work. I have not been in an environment yet to make a successful connection test, but I am working to accomplish this soon. Another alternative is to wait for EA to fix the game so it can be played online again, and log packets before it is shutdown. If the game is indeed as simple as Tribes Aerial Assault’s master list, then emulating a master list for the title wouldn’t be too hard. I have someone in mind that could possibly accomplish this.
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:54 pm
quote : #2
lordnikon wrote:
If the game is indeed as simple as Tribes Aerial Assault’s master list, then emulating a master list for the title wouldn’t be too hard. I have someone in mind that could possibly accomplish this.

woohaaa!!

Nikon: founder, 'Fuck EA' fanclub LTD.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:32 am
quote : #3
Fantastic news on possible tunnneling, as I don't want to see EA take this game away like so many others.
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:55 pm
quote : #4
Edited because I apparently break rules everytime I speak.

Last edited by Morph on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

JimSensei
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:20 pm
quote : #5
Don't mean to sound like a jerk Morph, but that is kind of biased. Within the fine print of these games, is a line that states after 90 days of a notice, they have the right to terminate the games online service. It's just part of buying an online game. They don't last forever.
Posted:
Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:36 pm
quote : #6
That is why it's nice when the occasional developer leaves the ability to host online games up to the players after they grow tired of hosting it themselves (Quake III DC, Tribes, SWB 1 and 2... that sort of thing).

I honestly don't see why that isn't more common, other than maybe they would have to develop each piece of server software differently to avoid people coming up with new ways to cheat (if all of your network software is similar, and players have access to it, you can be assured some jerk is going to come up with new ways to cheat online). Other than that, I really wish more games would be released with the ability to create our own servers, or at the very least, direct IP connect.

If MoH has LAN, I might pick it up. I played a little of the first level and wasn't too enthused, but it's dirt cheap now and I dig the series.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:50 pm
quote : #7
Edited because I apparently break rules everytime I speak.

Last edited by Morph on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:09 pm
quote : #8
According to the EA forums. Medal of Honor Rising Sun is back online, and should be until November.
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:46 pm
quote : #9
Hi!

Is MOH Rising Sun only online until the end of this week or longer?

Greetings
CS
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:43 pm
quote : #10
The date that's by it in the online game list is 11/15/06.
so a week and a half.
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:53 pm
quote : #11
Anyone check MOH:RS to see if it got taken down? It's the 18/19th. I'd check but can't use my PS2 system at the moment.

We might have to put that tunneling option into action if Rising Sun indeed got shut off last Wednesday.