Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:17 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi all

I have just been reading about getting online with PS2 in the guide section above. It mostly talks about sharing connection with a PC. I have Telewest BB hooked up to my PC via USB, is it not possible just to set up the PS2 near the PC and then simply swap over to the network cable for PS2 when I want to play PS2 online? I am guess ing not but thought to check Very Happy

Laters

segadreamcaster
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:12 pm
quote : #2
Hi m8 Smile ,

Actually, yeah you should be able to do that, think I did with mine before I bought the router, you will just have to give it a go when you get the adapter Smile might try and test it myself sometime Smile

Cheers, Craig
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:09 pm
quote : #3
So, your cable/DSL modem is connected to the computer using USB, and you want to connect your computer to your PS2 and share the connection? Yes, you can do that. You need a crossed LAN cable for that though.

I'd recommend getting a router though, then you can play online on PS2 without your computer on. Also, the router has a built in firewall.

segadreamcaster
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:09 am
quote : #4
I think what he means is, he wants to plug directly into his broadband modem with an "straight" ethernet cable, which with any luck should be fine, although these things often work much easier with a router.

However, as you use USB for the PC and ethernet for the PS2 you should be able to connect both up and not need to swap over at all...even use both at the same time without a router I do beleive? Wink

Cheers, Craig
Posted:
Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:35 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
You can connect your PS2 directly to your DSL/Cable modem via an ethernet cable. As long as your PS2 has a network configuration setup to connect to a DHCP or PPPoE setup then you are good to go.

It is important to note that you will encounter less problems when connecting to a router or PC via ICS. Connecting directly to your modem can sometimes bring up unknown variables. I have known some people to have to report their PS2's MAC address in order to connect to their broadband network directly through the modem.
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:36 pm
quote : #6
Thanks for the information people Smile

I may give it a go although I am tempted to go for a cable router if they are not too expensive. I am just wondering Segadreamcaster if my motorola surfboard is all set to work from my PC via USB connection then will anything else work, is the modem configured just for USB?

Laters

segadreamcaster
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:39 pm
quote : #7
Hi m8,

No, it should work just fine (in theory) can't see any reason why not anyway Smile

If you do go for a router (which is probably the overall best bet) I strongly suggest you get a wireless router so that you are ready for the future, with any DS, PSP, Wii, XB 360 or PS3 gaming you may want to do Smile but that something you can think about Smile

Cheers, Craig
Posted:
Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:02 pm
quote : #8
Well I am relocating next week and I will *FINALLY* have DSL. I don't have a router or the dinero to drop on one. Question is, will I need my crossover cable to connect to my DSL modem? If not, I hope my crossover at least works with it, as I don't want to buy another cable. Mr. Green
Posted:
Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:48 pm
quote : #9
Do i reallly need the startup disc? Mine is all scratched and i dont know where to get a new one. I have everything else but i need a V2.5 startup disc.