Topic: PS3 compatibility question...

Page 1 of 1
Phredreeke
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Are PS2 games playable online or on LAN on PS3? Can a PS2 join a LAN game hosted on a PS3 and the other way around?

I ask because I've heard that PSO for GameCube won't play online on Wii.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:18 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
So far I have done no testing with regards to a PS3 and PS2 online / LAN titles.

The greater concern is the actually main game compatibility. Certain games work on the PS3 and some do no. There are compatibility problems. There is no shortage of PS2 hardware so for now I would stick to using the PS2 to get online.
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am
quote : #3
I've heard of compatibility problems (though Sony is issuing firmware updates to fix them). I have no plans for getting a PS3, I'm just being curious.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:03 pm
quote : #4
All I know is there are irregularites with PS3 backwards compatbiliy. So as far as this site is concerned the PS3 will be depreciated as far as its presence here. I had planned to test next gen systems for backwards compatibility so that the information would be available to end users.

In the end I decided to just ignore the PS3 entirely. Sure its hardware can run PS2 games and possibly take them online. However the "one way" transfer of memory card files, and scattered backwards compatibility on the PS3 creates too many roadblocks.

The PS2 console is a more logical solution for playing native PS2 video games online. This is the hardware we will continue to be focusing on. The coverage of the system's hardware in relation to PS2 game networking won't ramp up for another few years.

Long story short: Keep your PS2. It works for PS2 online games 100%.

Though if anyone buys a PS3, they are more than welcome to post their adventures with regards to playing PS2 games online.

Just remember though, because this is a PS2 website, PS3 games and other extended functions of the system cannot be discussed. The PS3 can only be brought up when referencing the Playstation 2 (Playstation 2 Lounge) or Playstation 2 Online (Network Tech / General Online / Specific Game Forum)
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:10 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
All I know is there are irregularites with PS3 backwards compatbiliy. So as far as this site is concerned the PS3 will be depreciated as far as its presence here. I had planned to test next gen systems for backwards compatibility so that the information would be available to end users.

In the end I decided to just ignore the PS3 entirely. Sure its hardware can run PS2 games and possibly take them online. However the "one way" transfer of memory card files, and scattered backwards compatibility on the PS3 creates too many roadblocks.

The PS2 console is a more logical solution for playing native PS2 video games online. This is the hardware we will continue to be focusing on. The coverage of the system's hardware in relation to PS2 game networking won't ramp up for another few years.

Long story short: Keep your PS2. It works for PS2 online games 100%.

Though if anyone buys a PS3, they are more than welcome to post their adventures with regards to playing PS2 games online.

Just remember though, because this is a PS2 website, PS3 games and other extended functions of the system cannot be discussed. The PS3 can only be brought up when referencing the Playstation 2 (Playstation 2 Lounge) or Playstation 2 Online (Network Tech / General Online / Specific Game Forum)

I am all for that however I must note its not that great a deal for people who start gaming on the PS3 as for them buying a ps2 to play online would be an extra expense. I hope there will be no ban on talking about PS3 using ps2 online games.

Laters

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 pm
quote : #6
As stated above in the italicized text the PS3 can be brought up here as long as it pertains to the PS2 in some way. Either via offline games or online. As long as the content is posted in the correct forum and relates to the PS2 you can discuss the system.

As far as people who get the PS3 as their "first" game console and being forced to buy a PS2, the best thing I can say is "oh well". It doesn't change the fact that to get into PS2 online, the most logical choice is to get an actual PS2 unit.

I don't really think it is going to be an issue. People who get a PS3 will be moving on, and playing other stuff. This site is more or less going to cator to a hardcore crowd now, rather than mainstream fair weather fans. So anyone here is going to be serious enough to actually invest in the PS2 as a console to take online. Which is what this place is all about. Wink