Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
In August of 2006 Medal of Honor Rising Sun’s match making master list failed to work, leaving many WWII first person shooter fans unable to play online. After EA began to investigate the problem, they announced that they would bring the servers back online, but only for a few more months. On November 16th MOH Rising Sun was scheduled for termination, and would have its network functions disabled. Well, November came and went, and Medal of Honor Rising Sun was still online. There was no doubt that EA would take the game down. The real question was: When?

Around January 27th 2007 Electronic Arts finally took the master list offline. Rising Sun was online for over 3 years and 2 months.

The story doesn’t end here. The reason why I delayed writing this article was to finally test a hunch I have had for quite sometime. When Rising Sun errors out at the master list you are met with an error message stating that even though the list is down, you can host a LAN game. I finally got a second North American Playstation 2 and was able to test this. My hope was that a LAN session would work, allowing us to tunnel the game over the Internet.

Unfortunately the hint of LAN functionality is inaccurate. I setup both games one 2 separate PS2’s on my local LAN. The games contacted DNAS, and then errored out at the master list request. When I attempted to host a game from on PS2, and the join with the other, the game sees no locally hosted servers in the master list. My theory is that it requires of existence of “Region Sub-lists” to host or join games your game in instead of one large master list. Without the region options a link in the chain is missing.

It is important to note that Medal of Honor Rising Sun allows you to host offline multiplayer deathmatches, with 1 human player at fullscreen, or 4 human players in splitscreen. So atleast you can simulate the online multiplayer experience alone or with friends for that nostalgic feeling. MOH Rising Sun has some great multiplayer maps such as Calumpit Chaos, so boot this game up from time to time.

If you are looking for an alternative World War II FPS experience on the Playstation 2, it is recommended you check out Call of Duty 2: Big Red One. It has LAN capabilities, which makes it online forever. Call of Duty 3 may have LAN as well, but this has yet to be verified.

For all of the people I played MOH Online with, it is sad knowing I will no longer be able to shoot any of you with the welrod again. I had fun times on Rising Sun with many of you, and they will be memories I shall not forget.
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:59 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
lordnikon wrote:

For all of the people I played MOH Online with, it is sad knowing I will no longer be able to shoot any of you with the welrod again. I had fun times on Rising Sun with many of you, and they will be memories I shall not forget.

Careful now before the media violence hounds swoop down on your words. Wink
Thanks for all the games Nikon while I did not own the game during its heyday (I think OC had some full games back then) I know I had quite a bit of fun with the game.
The MoH community was pretty good itself although I don't know those like I some of the OC members I did a few more than a few times.