Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Those of you out there who are metal slug fans. Metal Slug 3 will NOT be coming to the United States. Why? Not because SNK had anything to do with it. SNK had their minds made up, they were going to bring MS3 to the US on ps2. So whats the problem?

Sony Computer Entertainment America's third-party concept approval process prevented Metal Slug 3 coming to the US because it "will not find an audience and doesn't fit Sony's target audience."

Once again the corporate suits think they know what gamers want. All their fancy charts, statistics, and demographics.

Ikaruga came to the US on gamecube, and did incredible. Sold way more than expected, and tons of gamers who had never played the game before are loving it. It got some serious respect from both the hardcore and the newbies a like.

So MS3's concept didn't make it through SCEA's "approval" process. Further proving the fact that sony wouldn't know a good video game if it bit them in the ass.

The point here is I love my PS2, its a dope system, the games I own and am looking to buy for it are gonna rock, but still doesn't change the fact that corporate marketing departments who know nothing about gaming come in and fuck shit up. Metal Slug 3 would have been a sleeper hit in the united states. Thousand's of gamers would have been schooled on the awsome madness that is, METAL SLUG!

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:25 pm
quote : #2
apparently the news that metal slug 3 not coming stateside is false Very Happy here is an article from www.gamespot.com

SNK stands by its plan to bring US gamers a PlayStation 2 version of the NeoGeo classic.

Contrary to reports circulating on the Web, SNK says it is still planning a stateside release of Metal Slug 3 for the PlayStation 2.

"Published reports regarding Metal Slug not coming stateside are incorrect," the company said in a statement. "SNK is still in development to publish the game for PlayStation 2. It is SNK's intention to work with Sony to make sure this product can come out for the PS2."

SNK offered no indication as to when the game will release or what its price point might be.

Old-school gamers may remember Metal Slug 3 from the 1990s--the 2D shooter was available both in arcade and NeoGeo MVS versions. The game is currently available for the PS2 in Japan and retails for around $55, while mint copies of the US MVS edition can fetch upward of $250 on eBay.

click

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:02 pm
quote : #3
*phew* thank god!

however snk's statement doesn't imply sony still isn't trying to stop them from releasing the game in the US. "It is SNK's intention to work with Sony to make sure this product can come out for the PS2." Kinda implies they did have problems, however SNK is fighting their hardest to get it over here.

I hope it does get released.
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:11 am
quote : #4
I think I'll go with the XBOX version. I hope the enemies don't bleed 'milk' though, like in MS X for PS1, or Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast.

My friends and I made so many cracks about the soldiers bleeding milk, for example: "My theory is that SNK owns a network of milk farms. They apparently thinks that if their game characters drink gallons of milk a day, they can dodge politcal crossfire, get their games approved by SCEA, and become best-sellers. All this led to was SNK games being censored, SCEA rejecting SNK games (God knows why), and no one knowing who Terry Bogard is, let alone quality games like Metal Slug or King of Fighters not catching the intrest of the public eye."

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:39 am
quote : #5
Regardless of what happens ill just get a swap disc for ps2 and import the ps2 version from japan. I've already played it. Kontact has it.
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:17 pm
quote : #6
I thought you needed a mod chip to play imports? Question

-Mytho

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 pm
quote : #7
If you want to do it the hard way, then yes you can go with the mod chip. Though a swap disc is the better route. This is the one that I bought.

http://www.modchipkits.com/pages/swapmagic.htm

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:22 am
quote : #8
Don't they still require a mod of some sort? Like the flip-top, or the slide trick?? Or is that only for booting CD-Rs..?

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:28 am
quote : #9
This is for booting everything. This is nice if you don't want to tamper with the void seal and open up the PS2, but on the other hand the mod is nice if you want to quickly pop in the game and play. Personally, I'd rather do the swap disc. The PS2 is too complicated to mod by yourself, and I don't think that there are that many internet companies that will mod it for you (cheap). There is a USB mod chip for the PS2 that I had my eye on, I thought that it was a plug-n-play, but you still had to open it up and solder a wire from point a to point b; I was like, "screw that". There is also a boot disc that you can find that comes with a card and disc (like the GameShark package) that works well on imports. Here are some links below that will show you some visual aides on this. These are mod devices that I recommend; ones internal and the other is external. I hope I've helped Very Happy

Slide Card no-mod: http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.htm

Plug-n-Play mod chip: http://www.modchip.com/ps2/v56pnporder.htm