Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A flurry of new details emerge for the upcoming release of Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus. I am unsure if this will be an expansion, or a full on sequel. What has been revealed are new additions to the game which aren’t exactly new. They are old features being re-injected into PSU. It seems features from PSO are making their way back into the Phantasy Star Universe world.

Mags are back, sort of, in the form of something called a Madoog. They are a left handed Technic weapons and the 2 known so far are the Soniti and Sato.

New enemies are also on the way, including one that looks like Grass Assassin and a boss resembling De Rol Le.

Most importantly, there is a shot of a male character in the original PSO HUmar outfit! Even weapons such as the Holy Ray and Durandal are set to make an appearance. This is pretty crazy!

Will this be an expansion? or a whole new game? Also, would Sega make this cross-game compatible like they have done with previous versions on the Dreamcast and GameCube. If the games are indeed separated this would punch major holes in the original PSU release. They flaunted that game as being a dynamic experience that would grow and evolve overtime. Meaning you would only need to buy the original game, and would get a large helping of additional quests, content, and features. There should have been no need for a new PSU release.

That is unless the original PSU release strayed too far from the PSO formula, alienated fans, and offered a very static online experience with few options for online expansion. Which would mean the initial release of PSU was a serious mistake.

See here for scans from Famitsue:
http://www.tgfcer.com/club/thread-5846575-1-1.html

Warning: Shots of the HUmar will invoke serious feelings of nostalgia and mixed feelings towards the PSU world when compared to the classic PSO. I am compelled to strangle game designers at Sega, and interrogate them as to why they didn't just make PSU like that in the first place.
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 am
quote : #2
upon reading this i think sega is having mix fealings about killing pso if they are gonna do that Evil or Very Mad
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:53 am
quote : #3
loki101 wrote:
upon reading this i think sega is having mix fealings about killing pso if they are gonna do that Evil or Very Mad

You mean mixed feelings about killing the GC & DC versions? Hardly. Sega is scrambling to do whatever they can to get people onto Phantasy Star Universe. This includes taking down other online versions of Phantasy Star, and now integrating visual elements from the original PSO games, into PSU.

In the end I don't think their tactics are going to work. The series has regressed, is a shadow of its former self.

Though, I will buy the new PSU expansion / sequel if I can play it offline, since I can't bring myself to subscribe for the online.
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:02 am
quote : #4
Although I do not wish to discourage players from playing PSU I figured I would throw in my two cents.

I enjoyed PSO because it was the kind of online role playing game you could play without too much trouble. You would jump online and quest with friends. It wasn't too complicated but carried depth. You didn't need to spend hours and hours playing it, but you did because it was so much fun and addictive.

PSU is the complete opposite. You have to spend hours and hours to get anywhere. There are so many money and time sinks it isn't even funny. To synth an item, you must gather all the materials which could take aslong as 10 hours if you have to buy some of the more expensive pieces. Then find the board that allows you to synth whatever item you want. Then you must wait aslong as 20+ hours for the item to synth. The worst part? There is usually a 70% chance it will not work unless you raise the hell out of your PM.

At first, I figured it was just one of those blocks in the game which you'd only need to go through once (Powderstone on MH for example) but having to do this in order to get all the important items?
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #5
New larger screenshots:

http://www.gfdata.de/archiv02-2007-gamefront/2843.html

This really has peaked my interest.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:35 pm
quote : #6
those screen shots do make the game look appealing. I may pick this up if it solves the problems I've read about the original... or if it's released in Europe Laughing.
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:39 pm
quote : #7
So if it doesn't solve the problems of the original? but is released in europe you will buy it? (hehe the original PSU was released in europe)
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:22 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
So if it doesn't solve the problems of the original? but is released in europe you will buy it?

I may get just to piss about in Ragol... Razz

lordnikon wrote:
(hehe the original PSU was released in europe)

Well... with the PS2 is nearing the end of its run and bearing in mind that PSO eppisode 1 and 2 + was'nt released in Pal-land...

I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't Wink
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:32 pm
quote : #9
Actually PSU takes place on other planets. Yea I see where you are coming from there doubting the sequel would come to PAL. I bet it still does though. They would have to, otherwise they would be taking a serious shit on their PAL fans.

mcmonkey, keep in mind though PSU is not like PSO. It vaguely resembles it in both visuals and gameplay. There is tons of discussion about this already in the PSU forum, but this new sequel / expansion is the first time we are seeing many of these classic PSO elements back in the game.
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 pm
quote : #10
Man I just don't know. I will buy the sequel, but as far as online play goes, PSU is a bit too much like work. JimSensei is completely right. You just can't casually play PSU like you can with PSO. Even if they do include elements from PSO, the basics of the game will still be synthesizing items, collecting stuff.... WORK.
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:05 pm
quote : #11
I have religated Phantasy Star Universe to a game that I mess around with offline. I am not trying to discourage people from playing it online of course. I simply won't be putting serious time into the game online ever, and am more dedicated to other games. But, I do fear that Sega might make this sequel ONLINE ONLY. Which would be a real shame, since I would like to try it out offline. If I can't do that, then... well... I won't be getting it it seems.
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm
quote : #12
Interesting but i'll wait to see what further information comes out before making any judgment of course a host of questions come to mind, I will just let time solve those instead of worrying.
Hooligan 77
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 23, 2007 8:18 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
New larger screenshots:

This grasped mine too.

My user name is myspace/hooligan_77 on Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront and PSU are the only games I play online currently for my PS2.
loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Wed May 23, 2007 9:45 pm
quote : #14
yo this game should be be good but i have mixed feelings about it cause it won't feel like the pso we all used to but i still play it cause...my hard earned money is in it already lol Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:12 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
New larger screenshots:

Ditto!

My user name is myspace/hooligan_77 on Star Wars Battlefront.
Star Wars Battlefront and PSU are the only games I play online currently for my PS2.