Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
If there is one thing you can say about Konami, they are consistent. As I predicted in the Japanese server closure thread, Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence will be going offline in North America roughly 1 year after its original retail release. It is interesting how Konami "sincerely" thanks the Subsistence community for their support, yet Konami themselves are unable to rise to this same level of dedication. Instead they adhere to a 'like-clockwork' corporate schedule, and terminate a network title for one of the greatest video game franchises ever. It is game experiences like MGO that make me bitter, and unmotivated to get involved with newer online titles of any kind. I feel compelled to latch onto the existing games I play which have been secured as online forever via independent networking solutions, such as LAN for tunneling.

The sad thing is, knowing the game was going to go offline ruined the experience for me. Dedicating hours to the game now felt as if I was in a "bad relationship" with a sexy woman on drugs who beats her kids.

The North American release of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence will be going offline on April 2nd, 2007.

This news comes right on the heels of other server closures. With these recent events I will be accelerating changes here at OC. Stay tuned to the Site Bulletins forum for upcoming developments.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:29 pm
quote : #2
Disappointing, this was one game I wanted to try out when I get DSL.

Looks like that's not gonna happen Crying or Very sad

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:17 pm
quote : #3
In case I didn't comment on that first thread that got closed in favor of a news post:

Ugh, I really liked MGO, for what it's worth. Definitely a Metal Gear fan's online haven, so long as people played like Metal Gear players and not like conventional TPS players - there were so many MGS elements built into the online gameplay that it didn't fare all too well if one played it like other shooters. Tactical strategy also had its abilities as well and when done right, it was a fantastic Metal Gear experience.

I'm lucky enough to have a PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, a high-speed connection and a wireless router to still experience a bit of MGO once the Subsistence server goes down, but it really pains me to have to talk about it in the past tense now (like I did above).
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:27 am
quote : #4
Not sure when it came out in england but like you said it seems to be on line for a year so i supposed the exact same will be happening here.
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:57 am
quote : #5
MICHAE2414 wrote:
I'm lucky enough to have a PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, a high-speed connection and a wireless router to still experience a bit of MGO once the Subsistence server goes down, but it really pains me to have to talk about it in the past tense now (like I did above).

Bingo. If I didn't have this I would probobly be ready to kill myself right now. Without Portable Ops as an alternative option (that is online forever) I would go completly nuts.

carl250481 wrote:
Not sure when it came out in england but like you said it seems to be on line for a year so i supposed the exact same will be happening here.

The Korean, Japanese, and North American servers all closed 1 year after the retail release. The PAL version will probobly be the same, with the game shutting offline next fall. Enjoy it while you still can.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 am
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
The Korean, Japanese, and North American servers all closed 1 year after the retail release. The PAL version will probably be the same, with the game shutting offline next fall. Enjoy it while you still can.

oh believe me i am enjoying it as much as i can

and another thing this is the first time for the Metal Gear Series to go online so why haven't they pushed all the boats and tried to make abit of imprecision and kept these servers going on for longer.
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:19 am
quote : #7
carl250481 wrote:
and another thing this is the first time for the Metal Gear Series to go online so why haven't they pushed all the boats and tried to make abit of imprecision and kept these servers going on for longer.

I think what it all comes down to is terminating online games to force users to buy something else.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:39 am
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
carl250481 wrote:

I think what it all comes down to is terminating online games to force users to buy something else.

That might be true in terms of this game.....Later this year MGS 4 should be comming out....seems really fishy...

Also this sucks this game is going offline Crying or Very sad , this game was the the first MGS online and its going to be a shame that its not going to be around anymore MGS3 was a great game intself but the online was the "Frosting on the cake" this is what made me like MGS even more...Ima have some quality time with this game ASAP....I wish I had a dvd burner or someway to record this game in action so that people down the line can see this game in action online....

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am
quote : #9
killer-elite wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
carl250481 wrote:

That might be true in terms of this game.....Later this year MGS 4 should be comming out....seems really fishy...

Also this sucks this game is going offline Crying or Very sad , this game was the the first MGS online and its going to be a shame that its not going to be around anymore MGS3 was a great game intself but the online was the "Frosting on the cake" this is what made me like MGS even more...Ima have some quality time with this game ASAP....I wish I had a dvd burner or someway to record this game in action so that people down the line can see this game in action online....

Ive been wondering for a while not just with respect to PS2 but also other consoles is it not possible to record the action with a video or DVD recorder? then it can always be uploaded later on.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:31 am
quote : #10
Yes I will be capturing plenty of footage. I actually got online with the Japanese version and recorded online gameplay from it the night before it went offline. Though the videos won't be released for a while, as they will be included on a media disc to be released to the community in the future.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:39 am
quote : #11
well i was thinking of recording some action cause i have a thing plugged to my pc so i can recorded from devices such as Dvds, video consoles etc so what this space and ill have some thing soon for u all.
lanzarlaluna
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:18 pm
quote : #12
I knew this was coming, but it still makes me angry and depressed. MGO is fucking unbelievably awesome. It's one of the select few online experiences that has grabbed me by the balls. It's just so well made and thought out. The only saving grace is that MGO for PSP can be tunneled forever. Regardless, I am pissed MGO for PS2 is going offline. Crying or Very sad