Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:36 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I do not really know how this happened. I guess if you play this game enough, it grows on you, but Auto Modellista became one of my favorite racing games over the years. There have been so many 1 on 1 races. One would think a high player count would be needed to enjoy an online racing game, but for some reason the races in Auto Modellista were compelling. I don't know if it was the courses or what.

Most people don't like this game. However I am now a HUGE fan of the title, and actually appreciate its car physics. I love smashing into a guard rail, then trying to recover and pick up speed again.

To me Capcom could have developed this into their own key franchise. Sega has their Outrun, Namco has Ridge Racer, and Capcom could have had Auto Modellista.

Do you feel this is a game that you normally would have overlooked, but since you spent enough time with the title, you are now a huge fan?

I can see myself continuing to play this game offline quite a bit.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think a huge factor in what made Auto Modellista so compelling was the art style. It felt like you were in control of an episode of Initial D. Racing through the cityscape aganist neon signs with some smooth jazz playing is a definite treat. Smile

The car physics are still a little jiggy, but no more exaggerated than Ridge Racer or Outrun. Slamming into a guard rail is no more comical then drifting around a corner with perfect balance at 150 MPH. I've come to accept it as part of the experience.

Had this game been stripped of its online components and had not plummeted in price so quickly, I most likely would of ignored this title in favor of other racers. I could see myself coming back to Auto Modellista simply because there is no other game out on the market containing the same aesthetic.
Posted:
Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:08 pm
quote : #3
Call me crazy, but I love the announcer and the music. Typical Capcom flair and it really brings the presentation full circle. I use to hate the announcing, but after playing so many games with the same style of DJ, it really sticks to you.

The mechanics just take a REALLY long time to get use to. You really got to play this game in MT to get the most of it.
Posted:
Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:43 pm
quote : #4
JimSensei wrote:
The mechanics just take a REALLY long time to get use to. You really got to play this game in MT to get the most of it.
Ain't that the truth. Razz When I first popped in the Auto Modellista disc and played it for the first time, the only thing that kept me going was exactly what you mentioned - the presentation. After a few runs, though, I got the hang of the mechanics and physics especially in MT and in the later upgrades.

It really is worth progressing through, though, and I'm glad I wasn't so easily discouraged from getting used to the game; I definitely agree with everyone else here in that Auto Modellista grows on you with time.