Brandon374
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi I'm new. Great work on the site.

I recently picked up Monster Hunter (cuz I loved PSO on DC) and went to get online when it says that I don't have the Network adapter installed. I checked with my other online games (which I used to play w/ the same network adapter) and they all say that my PS2 is not detecting the Network adapter that's plugged in the back. I might have broke the Net adapter when the ps2 fell over (from vertical position to horizontal) a couple times. So, It seems that I accidentally broke my network adapter. Must be pretty fragile.

I was considering 2 options:
1) find a $40-50 new or used net adapter for my aging (5 yrs?) PS2, which I know is pretty full of dust, has gotten DREs, and is increasingly shutting itself off in the middle of a game.

2) get a new or used slim model PS2 which has a built in Network adapter. $120ish

I'm leaning towards saving up for a new PS2 as I'm probably not gonna get any of the "next-gen" consoles for a few years.

Also, I don't know anyone nearby who has a ps2 that I can test my net adapter on.

Any advice?

I'll be playing Monster Hunter solo while I wait.

Treey
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:57 pm
quote : #2
Stupid question,

But have you tried pulling the adaptor off, and putting it back on?

the connection might have just become loose.

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:41 pm
quote : #3
Well, if you have no intention of play FFXi, I'd go with a slim line ps2.

Brandon374
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:51 pm
quote : #4
Yeah Treey. I forgot to mention that's the first thing i did. I also tried pushing a pen in the little hole on the back that looks like a reset button for 30 seconds but that didn't seem to do anything.

And grimgravy, nope i don't have any intention of playing FFXI

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:22 pm
quote : #5
Brandon374 wrote:
Hi I'm new. Great work on the site.

I recently picked up Monster Hunter (cuz I loved PSO on DC) and went to get online when it says that I don't have the Network adapter installed. I checked with my other online games (which I used to play w/ the same network adapter) and they all say that my PS2 is not detecting the Network adapter that's plugged in the back. I might have broke the Net adapter when the ps2 fell over (from vertical position to horizontal) a couple times. So, It seems that I accidentally broke my network adapter. Must be pretty fragile.

I was considering 2 options:
1) find a $40-50 new or used net adapter for my aging (5 yrs?) PS2, which I know is pretty full of dust, has gotten DREs, and is increasingly shutting itself off in the middle of a game.

2) get a new or used slim model PS2 which has a built in Network adapter. $120ish

I'm leaning towards saving up for a new PS2 as I'm probably not gonna get any of the "next-gen" consoles for a few years.

Also, I don't know anyone nearby who has a ps2 that I can test my net adapter on.

Any advice?

I'll be playing Monster Hunter solo while I wait.

Have you also considerd that maybe its a part inside the PS2 thats is broke and not the network adaptor?
Posted:
Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:06 am
quote : #6
In your case, I'd recommend a new slim ps2.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:18 pm
quote : #7
gRiMgRaVy014 wrote:
In your case, I'd recommend a new slim ps2.
or a used slim ps2 from eb games with a purchased extended warranty.I've had to replce mine 3 times and they let me do it all the times i had to at no cost.
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:32 am
quote : #8
Yeah i think I'll save up and get a slim ps2. Thanks for the advice. GForce, what's the price you paid for the slim ps2 and warranty?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:50 am
quote : #9
DO NOT buy a PS2 from ebgames / gamestop!!! You shouldn't have to get a warrenty from these people. The reason they give out warrenties is because they might sell you broken crap that has been smashed and stepped on by 13 year olds.

If you want to really buy a PS2 try any of the following locations:
www.ebay.com
www.amazon.com
www.estarland.com
www.atariage.com (buy/sell forum)
www.digitpress.com (buy/sell forum)
www.neo-geo.com (buy/sell forum)

If you prowl around some of the above buy/sell forums you can score a slim PS2, sometimes with extras for about 90 shipped. I scored a boxed barely used slim with memory card for 90 shipped.

You can get used slims on estarland for about $105.00, with a 90 day guarantee.

Again, don't buy any used goods from ebgames / gamestop. They will sell you trash.
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
DO NOT buy a PS2 from ebgames / gamestop!!! You shouldn't have to get a warrenty from these people. The reason they give out warrenties is because they might sell you broken crap that has been smashed and stepped on by 13 year olds.

If you want to really buy a PS2 try any of the following locations:
www.ebay.com
www.amazon.com
www.estarland.com
www.atariage.com (buy/sell forum)
www.digitpress.com (buy/sell forum)
www.neo-geo.com (buy/sell forum)

If you prowl around some of the above buy/sell forums you can score a slim PS2, sometimes with extras for about 90 shipped. I scored a boxed barely used slim with memory card for 90 shipped.

You can get used slims on estarland for about $105.00, with a 90 day guarantee.

Again, don't buy any used goods from ebgames / gamestop. They will sell you trash.

Thanks Nikon, I'll avoid gamestop/ebgames... what about game crazy? Are they just as bad? Their used slims are $99. I'll start checking out Ebay...