Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok so I bought project snowblind, got it in the mail just yesterday. After playing the game for about 5+ hours through out the day. Here are my findings on the game.

Contrary to previous information said in another thread by TheMytho. This game is not laggy. I have played the game online almost all day and never encountered any glitching, lag, or collision detection problems. Bullets hit their targets and blood and death animations give visual feedback that you have taken out your targets. I have been playing in full 16 player TDM games on multiple servers through out the day.

The games stat tracking covers everything. It tracks your weapons one by one, how many shots taken, ammo used, hits/misses, as well as augmentations used and how frequently. It tracks what maps you have played on as well as wins/losses on each one. It's extremly detailed.

The game has no hdd support, no keyboard support, no online game chat lobbies.

This game does have LAN, headset support, 16 players online, Friendlists, and stat tracking.

-

(an indepth discussion about framerate)
About the game overall, this game has an incredible framerate. The graphics in this game looks absolutly amazing. Imagine near killzone graphics(cept more colorfull of course), with a full 50-60 frames per second framerate. It's very very very smooth. I wave my gun around and can't believe how smooth the framerate is and how realistic the lighting looks.

Yet...maybe I can. On second glance I move in and look at some of the textures in the game. Guess what? Here is proof, that when you drop the texture resolution it helps improve the gameplay and still doesn't adversly affect the overall look of the game. If you play Project Snowblind on your PS2 you will totally realise that other companies like Guerilla who made killzone have no excuse for having a subpar framerate.

If you need to get my point. Break out an N64 with the expansion pack and perfect dark. Play the game on normal settings. The switch the game to hi-rez mode. Watch the framerate just plummet. It looks gorgious, almost like an oldschool PC game. That is, if don't move. Once you start moving...break out the Aspirin.

I just wish I could thank whoever was incharge of making this decision over at Crystal Dynamics. Thank god they had a shred of common sense and decided to actually optimize the game so that it runs well.

-

Another huge plus is, this game has map rotation! Thank you god! because of this you can literally sit down and play...and play...and play...and play... Just like TribesAA and MOH Rising Sun, or any other PC fps for that matter. Map rotation is a key feature and I am glad they implimented this.

Class system: This is what makes multiplayer fun! Class systems are awsome. (If you have played AVP2 on the PC, then you know how awsome they can be.) Snowblind lets you switch to any class or team during the course of a match. Your class change will take place on the next respawn.

GameBalancing: This game is balanced. What can I say. So far I have yet to encounter any "cheap" weapons. Yea there are things that give some players huge advantages. The infared type vision enhancement aug for the rail gun user is pretty insane. He can isntantly pick out all enemys on the map. However the rail gun actually has to be charged up to deal a critical hit. Also other augs can allow you to drop out of his vision range. Warning: There are a lot of explosions in this game. Mines, grenades, tanks, bi-pedal mechs, tons of missles. If dodging explosives like a mad man isn't your bag, might want to rent this game to check it out. However, point is even though there is mad bombs blowing up all over. It's possible to take someone out before they have the chance to fire off another rocket, or detonate their mines. Like I said, it is pretty well balanced.

Loading times in this game are average. Not too long and not to short.

-

As you know, I not only report the good, I also report the bad:

This game has no splitscreen mode at all. It does have LAN mode, however you cannot turn on any sort of bots. So even if you did have another person to play with over LAN, it would mean 2 players duking it out in huge maps. People like myself praise the LAN mode, however the absence of splitscreen or bots is a notable issue. Another slight drawback is I think they disabled voice chat over LAN. So if we tunnel the game in the future, voice chat over the PS2 might not be possible. We could still use teamspeak, which might even be better in many cases, but not everyone has their PC near their PS2. I can't confirm this yet because I am just going based on what I had glanced at in the menu's. I will investigate further at a later date.

No password games or private games. So far I cannot see any method of creating a private game. You can however cap the player count to 4,8,12,16. So you could invite 4/8 friends into a match and keep people out, assuming you have all the slots filled. There is not an option for a 6 player cap, unfortunatly, seeing as how 6 is a more realistic low player count game than 4 or 8.

Watch your grenade throwing. if you don't hold down the button for a bit before throwing a grenade it will blow up in your face. I have done this about a million times. It is very frustrating. Here is what happens: If you just press the grenade button and let go right away, imagine me holding a grenade, and then just letting it go dropping onto my shoulder....and then blowing myself up. Its like throwing a grenade at your own face. So watch out!!! Hold that baby down, I'm seriously. In a firefight you might start tapping that grenade button a la TribesAA trying to kill them. You will only end up killing yourself :/

Death scenes in this game suck...not for the people you kill, but yourself. You have to wait through a death scene. It's not THAT long! It's very short actually. However, because of this game's fast paced nature, eventually it gets to the point where you are going, "OK already....get me back in the game yo!!!" The screen will turn red and then you drop to the ground and you will hear a flatline, and fade to black.

The last bad thing is like a few other FPS's full games are not shown in the list. I hate this. Because I cannot get an accurate view of how many people are actually online playing the game. Why hide a full game? I don't understand what purpose this serves. If they are going to do that they should have put up a total number count on how many poeple are online activly playing the game.

-

There are a lot of FPS games coming out this spring. Probobly some of the best new additions to the PS2 library it will ever see in its lifetime. Not saying any of these will indeed overshadow greats such as TribesAA, but these are all going to be good games. With TimeSplitters Future Perfect and Project Snowblind already out, and Area 51 and Cold Winter just around the corner, we might have 4 awsome FPS's on our hands here. With each of these games supporting a very robust online feature set, the final conclusion on which game to buy falls in the realm of personal preference. This will NOT be a clean cut case for everyone.

I enjoy futuristic FPS's, and Project Snowblind's class system, sniper character, and vision enhancment and cloaking augs give me the closest thing on a console to Aliens vs Predator 2 I will ever see. AVP2 is my favorite game on the PC. I play that game specifically to be the sniper and zoom in once, then twice then back out capping people off with blistering speed. I crave this. Snowblind shockling is so close in terms of this basic mechanic. Couple that with the futuristic setting and this game is a huge hit for me. This game might be my own #1 or #2 fps out of the new titles hitting this year. For myself it's definatly better than TimeSplitters Future Perfect. However TimeSplitters Future Perfect will definatly be better than Project Snowblind for many others. Fact is, rent these games if you are undecided. Seriously. These are all awsome FPS's and each one is going to tailor to each person differently. So I can't tell you "Yo buy this game, not that one".

The awsome thing here is, when all the dust settles, there will be a great FPS here for EVERYONE! Out of all the FPS's hitting this year, everyone is bound to find a new great FPS to add to their online collection that they really love.

What I can recommend is that you rent this game to check it out. The fact that I played for near 5+ hours yesterday is a testimant that I truely do like this game, and that it offers consistant extended online competition to be played for hours on end.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:07 pm
quote : #2
i rented this game and was in the beta for this it wasnt too bad.. i just dont think it is one for me... i would like to give it another chance though
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 pm
quote : #3
I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying this game nikon, but I must strongly stress that people rent this.

Back in Feburary, this game was a laggy, glitch infested battle. It wouldn't be an out-and-out lie to say that I've played dial-up games that wern't this choppy. So please do not slander my impressions or make me look like the bad guy. I've never started rumors or reported false information; why would I start now?

I have no intention of trying it this out again though, due to problems I had with the aiming and control in Snowblind (it felt extremely slidey). TimeSplitters: Future Perfect filled that new FPS void for me.

As long as your having fun playing games, that's really all that matters.

-Mytho
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:29 pm
quote : #4
TheMytho wrote:
Back in Feburary, this game was a laggy, glitch infested battle. It wouldn't be an out-and-out lie to say that I've played dial-up games that wern't this choppy.

I'm not doubting what you experienced back then.

TheMytho wrote:
So please do not slander my impressions or make me look like the bad guy. I've never started rumors or reported false information; why would I start now?

1.) I'm not slandering you.
2.) I'm not making you look like the bad guy.
3.) I never claimed to say you reported rumours nor false information.

If you re-read what I said:
"Contrary to previous information said in another thread by TheMytho."

If you would look up the word Contrary in the dictionary you would find the following:
con·trar·y
Opposed, as in character or purpose
"to the contrary"
To the opposite effect from what has been stated or what is expected

I was merely stated, that I experienced something different from what you experienced.

One other point I would like to bring up, I know you experienced lag and problems and all when you first played it. However, maybe you should have given it, just a little more time. There could have been server issues right on release, I don't know, but 9 minutes isn't a whole lot of time to really give a clear analysis of the gameplay online. Confused

Was there a patch you had to isntall when you first signed on? Now there is a patch. And reports from the snowblind community at the eidos forums state they have been working on continually maintaining the games online performance. They have gone through several maintenance sessions.

I have been playing for 2 days now without a hint of lag.

TheMytho wrote:
I have no intention of trying it this out again though, due to problems I had with the aiming and control in Snowblind (it felt extremely slidey). TimeSplitters: Future Perfect filled that new FPS void for me.

Like I said in my closing paragraph, everyone is going to find a different game this season that suits them best. I do not make these threads in order to convince to get others to buy these games. I am just reporting my findings. The more information surveyed from various people the better.

That is awsome that you are loving TimeSplitters Future Perfect.
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:36 pm
quote : #5
Alright then. I'm glad we could clear this issue up then. Perhaps I take offense too easily?

-Mytho
Posted:
Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:35 am
quote : #6
i didnt notice the clan part of thise game when i rented this... was this added with a patch or did i just miss it?
Posted:
Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:42 pm
quote : #7
I believe the clan feature was already in the game when it shipped. Basically at the main menu online you go to a clan screen and you can create a clan, manage invitations or send them out and such.

I'm not sure what the first patch was for.
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:29 am
quote : #8
the first patch was probably out to make the game run more smoother is my guess
Posted:
Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 pm
quote : #9
This game is pretty sweet. Too bad no one plays on it anymore. I am surpised Eidos is keeping the servers up

mongamer
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 pm
quote : #10
Hey LordNikon I was wondering about how many people play this game anymore. Because with PS2 online you just never know. Like Serious Sam Next Encounter no one was on that game. However SOCOM 1 is alive and kicking.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:13 pm
quote : #11
mongamer wrote:
Hey LordNikon I was wondering about how many people play this game anymore.

Not that many. You would probobly consider it dead. However during the week it is dead, and I have gone online on the weekend and had 12 player games going before. Just gotta put up a game and people will trickle in. Regardless this game does many things that other First Person Shooters do not do. The weapons in this game are very creative.

For instance you can fill a small room with mines that stick to any surface. Then lead someone into the room, and run out dropping a blast screen in front of the door. They can't get out. Now you can take your sweet time pressing the detonation button for the mines. Smile

The shotgun's secondary fire has "sticky" bullets with a delayed explosion. You shoot, they stick and start to fizzle, and then
BOOM!

mongamer wrote:
Because with PS2 online you just never know.

It has nothing to do with Playstation 2 online. It is the same pattern across all online capable video game systems. Interest spikes, and then it starts to taper off until nobody is interested anymore except the serious diehard players. Some games take longer to slow down than others.
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:16 pm
quote : #12
This game deserves a strong online following