Page Location: Home > Archive > Phantasy Star Universe (Archive) > Topic
mogascreeta
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
howdy partners, i was just curious on everyone else's opinion on psu and the monthly fee. i have never played psu, but i do play pso on dramcast. but really i need to know if 10$ per month is worth it for this game? also are there any private servers? if so tat would definitely give me a reason to buy this game hands down Confused
Posted:
Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:17 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
There are currently no Private servers for PSU. I do not feel it is worth it to pay $10.00 a month for Phantasy Star Universe. They kept saying this game would be very dynamic online. You were supposed to be able to buy Phantasy Star Universe, and they would update the online experience over time with expansion content that you download to the memory card. This never happened. Not only was Phantasy Star Universe less expansive than PSO during the GameCube era (which saw tons upon tons of online updates), but they are shifting away from their original vision, and releasing a whole new PSU game which may or may not be online compatible with the original PSU game.

Some people may get their moneys worth with PSU, but I cannot whole heartedly recommend subscribing to PSU when there are alternatives that can give you a better experience for the same amount of money, or even for free.
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #3
The game is a completely different beast than PSO. There are so many money and time sinks in PSU that it gets to the point where you have to devote a few hours of playing at a time to really get anywhere. You have to create weapons and armor in order to really maximize their potential. This process involves the following:

A. Buy the board to create item
B. Check storage for synthesis materials
C. Buy needed synthesis materials (if it is a more sought-after item, be prepared to pay out the nose in a player shop)
D. Place all items in your storage and begin synthesis
E. Wait anywhere from 45 minutes to 6-7 hours to see finished result. If you do not succeed, you have lost all the materials and must start from square one.

As for the actual battle mechanics, they feel a little more refined than PSO. There are some serious setbacks in terms of menu layouts.

Other annoyances include: Having to press three buttons in order to use a firearm; Forces cannot cast spells without a wand or cane; There is no 'invincibility' period after getting attacked like there is in PSO. This means that if two or three enemies gang up on you, they can kill you through pure cheapness.

The game is updated on a fairly consistent basis. Sega releases new items, new quests and special events every so often. The S-Rank weapons are just now being introduced. However, the overall game remains the same. It has only received new content. Nothing radical, such as overhauls to the game mechanics, has taken place and likely never will. $10 is a little much for what you receive, but there is no other option at this time for playing online.
Posted:
Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:43 pm
quote : #4
The game does get regular updates but some may argue they are simply unlocking stuff already on the disc.
like The Mytho mentioned the game has many time sinks that you need to invest in to get anywhere in the game.
which is something i'm not to crazy about as I would just rather leap into action and use my weapon.
So, no Ten is a bit much; my advice is to wait until the expansion comes out and has some questions answered and maybe even ask the question again.