Page Location: Home > PENDING DELETION > Metal Gear Solid 3 > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Some of you might find this wierd, but instead of getting gameplay footage while playing online I recorded all of the maps. I started a deathmatch game and ran through each map for about 6-10 minutes each. I looked all over the map filming the map geometry from as many angles as I could.

The reason I did this is because, as far as I know, you can't view these maps offline. The only way to view them is when playing online. So as soon as this game is terminated you will never ever be able to view these maps again.

By recording video documentation of each map, it gives someone such as myself the capability to recreate these maps in another game engine on the PC. Obviously they would have to be a part of a larger mod project, because playing these maps strictly in FPS mode would be completly silly.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:09 pm
quote : #2
Good to know you did this. I was thinking of doing it, but it seemed like quite the task. Did you get the vents?
Posted:
Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:43 pm
quote : #3
Unfortunatly due to time constraints the vents were something I did not have time to get. Recording those would have taken almost as long as the entire maps themselves. Since they are hidden all over the map. I figured the vents would be guestimated. I was running out of time and harddrive space when I was recording the videos and had to work expediciously.

I did however manage to capture shots of almost every vent entrance and exit.
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:08 pm
quote : #4
Did you manage to fully complete your endeavor? Being PAL I still have access to the online maps. You mention recording the exploration onto your hard-drive, am I correct in assuming this was on a PC via video input, if so did u use a graphics card or some external hardware? I am curious, as this would be something I would like to explore more.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:47 pm
quote : #5
I used a video capture card to capture video of the maps. I did complete my endevour, but the map recordings are a bit rushed. I had to record each level in under 10 minutes since I had to get up for work in the morning. It took me a couple hours to get them all recorded.

Though I got another thing that helps immensly. I score the Final Guide for Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Online. It has detailed schematics for all of the online maps. Complete floor plans including item placement Wink It is a Japanese guide, the cover is all green.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:51 am
quote : #6
Very cool, can you read japanese?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 am
quote : #7