BigDonV
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:21 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

Our crew CS has been testing your server. Right now, its 18players/18AI on Hard, TD OFF.

Runs smooth but the HARD SETTING realling chomps the CPU. My advice is to trim it to 10 AI. This will help alot.

We are putting our !!!SMUGGLERS.MEGA back up this weekend after a short few months of being down. There is a fake Smugglers.Mega that was thrown up in our absense. It lags horribly and is setup for noobs. No challenge whatsoever. Love your server setup. Nice and tough.

Come check us out at http://joincs.com

Also, whoever set up theonlinconsoles.com server could get in touch with me. We dumped our dedicated at THE PLANET and want to know where you are renting from. Thanks.

BigDonV
http://corelliansmugglers.com

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:23 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
BigDonV wrote:
Hi,

Our crew CS has been testing your server. Right now, its 18players/18AI on Hard, TD OFF.

Runs smooth but the HARD SETTING realling chomps the CPU. My advice is to trim it to 10 AI. This will help alot.

This is great information to know. Were you playing in a game that had 18 players running in it?

Lag spikes could have come from any number of places:
  • It could have been other software on the machine loading. We have a bunch of game servers running on this machine. SWBF1, SWBF2, TribesAA, GC PSO, and DC Maximum Pool. So maybe a map loading in SWBF2 was spiking SWBF1 with a lot of players in it.
  • It also could have been another game having a high player count while SWBF1 server was full.
  • It could have been just general network latency at the colocation center. I just got word that today they are experiencing some latency in their network and are working to solve the problem.

But all of this is sort of irrelevant since I am always working to make sure a game runs as smooth as possible. I am going to login later and make some adjustments to the SWBF1 and SWBF2 server configs to ensure better performance. Hopefully that does the trick.

Any technical information you provide on how well this server is performing online helps me greatly, since it is difficult for me to schedule testing environments where the machines resources are maxed out on all game servers.

BigDonV wrote:
Love your server setup. Nice and tough.

Thanks, I am glad you guys are getting some good use out of it.

BigDonV wrote:
Also, whoever set up theonlinconsoles.com server could get in touch with me. We dumped our dedicated at THE PLANET and want to know where you are renting from. Thanks.

The Planet is garbage. I dealt with them years back when working with a webhosting startup. They have the worst customer support.

I setup SWBF OC the server. For a few months I was signed up with Server Beach, however all of the servers I ran there had very poor performance. Do not buy game servers with this company. They do not run well at all. So then I canceled the service, waited a month, and bought a new server with a different company called Layered Technologies. This is where the SWBF server is currently hosted, and so far everything looks to be running smoothly.

You can check them out at: http://www.layeredtech.com/

They have some great specials running this month. I scored the cheapest, which was 75.00 + Free Setup: http://www.layeredtech.com/promotions/liftoff-sale.php. Also read the tag line for this promotion. I think they might be trying to say something here: For those stuck on "the planet" - liftoff with 30 days of "1 day ONLY specials" from Layered Technologies Wink
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:00 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for the info. Could you send me a link to your setup? I don't see the $75 offer anywhere.

Our crew plays every FRIDAY for SWBF1's FRIDAY NIGHT CLASSIC.
We had the room packed last night. I have posted up that onlineconsoles.com is the place to play publicly. Most of the noobs stay away from the HARD AI and what not.

I do have a suggestion. Maybe you could reduce the AI to 10 since you are rockin 18 players. It's plenty. THe AI on SWBF1 are really tough on hard. The last patch they did made them quite unfair actually. They can repeat fire above what a normal player can and they dont miss. Truly alot of fun but when it's too many AI, people get frustrated and leave. Our crew likes it alot however.

I was on today for a little while. Seemed pretty good. Couple of BLACK SCREENS, but like I said, reduce the AI and it will help.

Here is our setup that has always been successful. You could put this in and add your other maps as well...

MEGA 091006
/win /norender /autonet dedicated /gamename !!!!SMUGGLERS.MEGA /playerlimit 20 /playercount 1 /noteamdamage /bots 8 /noaim /difficulty 2 /spawn 2 /throttle 3072 /netregion NA end1a 500 500 tat2i 500 500 bes2a 500 500 rhn2a 500 500 hot1i 500 500 yav1i 500 500 yav2i 500 500 bes2a 500 500 kas2i 500 500 nab2a 500 500

Thanks for the information. We are gonna call them today. THANKS!

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:28 pm
quote : #4
I plan to reduce the AI and the total player count a bit. I want the server running as smooth as possible.

I have been playing on Hard mode for years. Yes the A.I. is hard when they are focused specifically on you. However most of the time they are either distracted by someone else, or are in stupid mode. They seem to be really dumb, and then only get smart if they notice you.

The bots in normal mode are far too easy. In-fact even in Hard mode, the average Human will score way way more points than any bot in the game. Sure when a bot locks onto you and unleashes its ammo it is difficult to defend against, but the alternative is never ever getting killed and beating up on really stupid bots instead.

I think the hard mode bots are balanced because they are dumb part of the time, and competative at other times.
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:09 pm
quote : #5
I agree playing on HARD is key. So is Team Damage ON.

We love the setup and we reserve TD on for private rooms for obvious reasons. Thanks again for the info and most of all for giving us all a great server.

ABout the amount of Hard AI, I was only referring to the CPU chompage. If you need any info, we been running SWBF1 & 2 for years and have alot of great tips. I also appreciate your tip about NOT USING SWBF1 maps on SWBF2. Ya know, that makes sense. I will have our SWBF2 crew stick to that as well.

DO you have a linkback ICON we can put on our site?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:42 pm
quote : #6
Yea I was really trying to craft a solid SWBF2 experience. There are a lot of maps on SWBF2 that were not optimized very well. The Felucia: Marshland for example is a complete catastrophe. Playing that level is like trying to find a needle in a haystack with course sand rubbed in your eye sockets.

But more importantly, it is key to remove the SWBF1 maps from the SWBF2 server because like I stated in the news post, keeps the two games as completly seperate experiences and encourages people to play on both, rather than isolating themselves to just SWBF2.

I will be adjusting the SWBF1 server later on tonight, but I am going to wait until there is nobody playing to bring it down.

Actually there are 88 x 31 link icons at the base of the homepage. You should be able to link directly to those images as I have hotlink protection turned off for those icons. However you are also welcome to host the icon on your site. There is a generic OC icon, and then ones designed for each area of the site. You can take your pick.

Unfortunatly this site no longer has a links section or does link backs to other sites. Over at the Dreamcast site I have had a lot of problems with this. OC is ranked as #1 in Google for Dreamcast Online, and rightfully so since it is the definative source for such information. However this also brought on tons of Dreamcast Communities trying to increase their page ranking by getting a link back from OC. The bitching and complaining from such users everytime I made design changes on the site for the placement of link banners was too much and I had to eliminate the feature entirely. You are free to link to OC at your own discression.

As far as your own site link you can place this in variety of places. Your user profile, signiture, or even in Game Schedule listings.
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:28 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon,

Don Vito is a wise man, even if he is a Correlian Smuggler.
We've been playing SWBF1 since the begining. (I don't even own SWBF2)
Don Vito use to run the best private server in the community.
He knows his setups and the Black Sun clan seconds any suggestions he has.

It's all BS

cya on the Front
Posted:
Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:14 pm
quote : #8
Thanks man. And thanks nikon for hooking it up.

Is it still up and running. I didnt see it the other day.

THanks again.

pwrcycle
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:19 am
quote : #9
My ping on the old Smugglers.Mega servers was consicently 50ms.
Ping on the OC server is usually ~100ms. Playability is fine. i was lagged out several times at the end of maps while it loads stats.

The other day, I noticed a Smugglers.Mega & OnlineConsoles.com room at the same time (maybe testing?). Ping for both was at 180ms, even though OC-room had 1player and Smugglers.Mega had 10 players. I think running two server programs on that host will causes too much CPU lag.

I think one setup is fine until the room is consitently full.

Hopefully we'll see some people for a Friday Night Classic tonight.
Posted:
Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:25 am
quote : #10
BigDonV wrote:
Thanks man. And thanks nikon for hooking it up.

Is it still up and running. I didnt see it the other day.

THanks again.

The OS was corrupted. I am not sure why. It was reinstalled last night. When I get home from work I will be working to get the servers back up and running in time for Friday night matches.

Also, all future server inquieries should go in a new section I will be setting up in the Support area of the site. I hope to have this up and running sometime today as well.
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 pm
quote : #11
Still havent seen onlineconsoles.com server all weekend. We miss it!!!

We are still debating our package deal but will be getting our servers this week. Thanks.

Posted Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:40 pm:

Any word on the server? We need the goodness.

Thanks, sorry to be a pain.

Laughing

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:00 am:

Just a quick update...

This server is a blessing for SWBF1.

We have been playing in our server as well as this one when ours is full. GGs around.

Thanks.