Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was going to try and loggin everyday and see when this game went down exactly but I was up most days playing other online games late and simply forgot. I was on the server on the very last official day Very Happy There was not much chat of the impending closure (pal version) only one mention did I hear. The next time I tried logging in the Thusrday 03 January 2008 the server was closed. If its wanted I have a picture of not great quality of the message that is now displayed when trying to connect to the Pal version.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:27 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea I had some good times on Monster Hunter. It was yet again one of those Japanese online games that I grew fondly attached to. Just now I was working on the Online Game Lists, and it took me a while to pull the trigger here and remove everyone from the North American PDB for the game. Quite a few people here owned it.

It is interesting to see the reactions of the entire Monster Hunter fanbase. I have been reading threads at capcom forums and gamefaqs and everyone is so distraut. For many it is the first time they have been through something like this. For us however, we are sort of used to it. Since the Dreamcast days we have been seeing games go offline and had to deal with meany heartaches in the process. I wish I could post and tell them all how it really is, and that you can't just make a new server for the game, and that they should be migrating over to the PSP version since it is online forever, but the number of people freaking out over there is too much. Plus many of them don't understand the technology, and think a Monster Hunter server could be whipped up using pancake mix.

I will still be playing Monster Hunter on the PS2 though. I have quite a few things to do in the offline mode, and a lot of armor and weapons to build.

As for the future of Monster Hunter here at the site, it will not die. This forum will still exist to discuss all offline play (I will be isolating all of these existing posts to the archives), and there are the PSP versions which are direct ports of the PS2 versions, are online forever, and are cross region so that PAL and NTSC players can play together.
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm
quote : #3
I have to say that on the few times that I connected to Monster hunter Pal servers I was not overly impressed by the online community. I have been told by the NTSC players that the Monster hunter community was a good and friendly one so it would appear both were not the same. Being on the Monster hunter Pal servers was much like being on some PC MMORPG games I have played. Pretty much all I ever saw anyone say was

"Do this someone"
"Do that someone"
"someone get me this"
"Someone do that"
"Who has this item"

Only once on the last day did I see the server closure mentioned and that was in question form, "What time will the server close" The answer was "5pm next day" I made an intended funny remark about not thinking people would be working at 5pm on new years day which is a day off in work in most Pal areas, this was ignored. Just an observation I have made. Possibly language barriers do not help in the Pal region.

Laters