Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey everyone Smile

How many of you have played PS1 with the link cable? and what games did you play?

Last time I tried this was about 6 years ago at a friends house, we played Wipeout 2097 and Final doom. | remember Wipeout 2097 was fantastic fun and can even now remember having some very tight races with people useing weps on the last turn to slow an opponenet and take the win. Final doom was good but the Mpas seemed too big for just 2 players and we spent a lot of time just looking for each other Laughing

I wanted to play Destruction derby but I havent even played the game at all (only played Destruction derby 2), has anyone played it on link? I am considering collecting the PS1 link games and cable, does anyone know of a list of games? Sadly after playing that day I left the link cable at my friends, dont think I can ask for it back after 6 years lol. Hmm just thinking I am Pal region, were there games on link not realesed in different regions?

Laters

lanzarlaluna
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:20 pm
quote : #2
My brother and I used to play a lot of Doom and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. I have fond memories of setting up the systems at my brothers house, and my brother and I playing on these two little TVs in his bedroom while my sister-in-law tried to sleep. Fun times.

loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 am
quote : #3
i only did that with my saturn...still got the cable too
Posted:
Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:46 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
That this is the list of Link Cable (or Combat Cable) compatible games from what I understand, but I'm unsure of the regions:

Andretti Racing
Armored Core
Armored Core: Project Phantasma
Assault Rigs
Bogey Dead 6
Burning Road
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Blast Radius
CART World Series
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Red Alert/ Retaliation
Coolboarders 2
Cyberspeed
Decent
Decent: Maximum
Destruction Derby
Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
Doom
Final Doom
Formula 1
Formula 1 '98
Formula 1: Championship Edition
Grand Tour Racing
Grand Tour Racing '98
Grid Runner
Independence Day
Krazy Ivan
Micro Machines V3
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Need For Speed
Red Asphalt
Ridge Racer Revolution
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Return Fire II
Rogue Trip
Robotron X
Test Drive 4
Test Drive: Off Road
Twisted Metal 3
Toca 2
Wipeout
Wipeout XL
Wipeout 3
Streak Hoverboard Racing
San Francisco Rush
Dead In The Water

R4, WipEout 3, and Twisted Metal all have undocumented Link support. R4's I guess is only partially working. Races have no AI and you can only use the in-car view. It sounds like the link game wasn't finished when they wanted to ship, so instead of just scrapping it they left it there but didn't put any info on it on the case or in the manual.

WipEout requires both players to enter LINK as their names. It'll start link mode, and I think you can play split screen while linked, so you can race with four players.

I remember getting my ass handed to me at Red Alert, but I wish I could play more of those games in link mode. I actually have two combat cables, one official, and one a yellow third party cable that I scored for free back when I worked at GameCrazy. I only have one PS1 (an SCPH-7501, the model to get since it is the last model manufactured with both serial and parallel I/O), so I can't link with myself here. I'd have to track down other people in my town with old enough PS1s.

It's something I'm thinking of putting together sometime in the future, but I only own R4, Final Doom, and Duke Nukem from that list. It'll be hard enough tracking down extra copies of those games, let alone two copies of any of the other I want to play. But, the hunt is always fun.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm
quote : #5
Thanks thats a useful list to have around, I didnt think there would be anything like that many to be honest. Since I made this topic I have not dont anything about collecting PS1 link games. Various reasons why not mainly not having anyone to play and the impracticality of having yet another console set up. Maybe one day, who knows.

Laters