Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
X
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:29 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
TheMytho wrote:
X: Do not despair, for Super UFO has the Hori Fighting Stick 2 in stock: http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Playstation_2_Hori_Fighting_Stick_2.html

I need to buy one myself, though I am currently focused on trying to get an older game console off eBay. I also heard that Super UFO's shipping to the UK can be costly, though this might be your only option.

Thanks for that website. Have you bought from them before? Is it a reliable site?

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
No, I haven't purchased anything from Super UFO, but it looks like a legit site. The customer testimonials also looked pretty real and positive.
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:29 am
quote : #18
For anyone reading who is new to/thinking about checking out arcade sticks, the Hori Tekken 5 stick is pretty decent if you're looking to get ahold of a decent arcade stick that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I picked up the Collector's Edition of Tekken 5 for $29.99 brand new about a month ago. Game Crazy (where I got mine) has them marked down to that price chain-wide, and I've heard rumors that other chains are offloading them as well. That doesn't really help anyone outside of the US, but if you're an American looking for decent stick at a super cheap price (or even as a primer to see if you like playing with a stick without dropping a lot of cash), it might be something to think about. They're pretty easily moddable, you can put a Sanwa stick and buttons in pretty easily, among other things. Also, they're lagless with a decent amount of converters.

The Tekken art on it is kind of ugly, though.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:06 am
quote : #19
Yea but the Tekken 5 stick is less of an option for PAL users such as X. The 29.99 price point is now a rarity. The only way you can find it for that much is if you are at a store in North America that is liquidating them. For the most part this time period has lapsed. You are lucky to find it for $29.99. As of right now they sell for about 60-70 bucks on ebay. If you live in North America these Tekken 5 sticks should be considered a first option since they are so easily attainable. However for PAL, the Tekken arcade stick + shipping would breach $100.00. At that point you might as well go for the HRAP2.

I own 2 of the Tekken 5 Anniversary Bundles. It is a solid arcade stick and is virtually the same as the HRAP1. However, my favorite HORI model continues to be this one:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-26m.html

These are very hard to find now. The Tekken 5 / HRAP's have a larger casing, which sort of results in the hollow feel when pressing the buttons. Its not really bad or anything, just a little noticable. The SC2 stick above has a very small casing. It has a low height, and the plastic is ultra thick. It is probobly the greatest arcade stick base I have ever used, and I am on the lookout for others to use or mod. They are not convex or concave, but perfectly flat. I really like these buttons. They are like flat wafers. (NOTE: You can find Virtua Fighter 4 themed sticks with this same base, but they are tailored to VF with a limited 3 button layout. I need to also bring up the buttons on the SC2 stick.)

Another arcade stick option is the NeoGeo PS2 sticks. Sure these arn't like normal arcade sticks, but the NeoGeo's arcade stick design is the best home console originated arcade stick ever made. It should be considered as a 'unique alternative'.
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:58 pm
quote : #20
HORI Fighting Stick 2 - In stock at Play Asia again. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-4ra.html

I've ordered mine. Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 pm
quote : #21
Oh wow they have it back in stock. Excellent :] You will like this arcade stick, it is really solid. One very unique feature for this arcade stick is that if I remember correctly, you can set the stick to take over the controls of the d-pad or either analog sticks on a typical PS2 controller. So lets say you were playing, oh I don't know, a game on some other console that was an arcade game that should of had d-pad support, but because developers are idiots they mapped it only to an analog stick, this arcade stick would solve such a problem.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:24 am
quote : #22
Glad to hear it's solid. And that sounds like a good feature. Smile I hope I can improve my scores at STGs with using an arcade stick. At the moment there are some bullet hell situations I just can't get out of using a PS2 d-pad. Hopefully with the arcade stick I will be able to make those small movements required.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 am
quote : #23
What makes an arcade stick so necessary, is the ability to move your ship using the entire motion of your arm. You can actually make more incremental tiny movements in close quarters with a control pad. However when you need to get the hell out of the way very fast, a controller just doesn't cut it. With an arcade stick your reaction time is so much faster.

After going to an arcade stick for shooters you will never go back to a control pad ever again. The difference is like night and day. You will most likely start looking for as many "PS2 to (insert console name here) convertors" that you can get your hands on.

There is one exception for me though. For R-Type Final on PS2 (as well as other R-Type games) I use a controller. I think because of the frequent ship speed increases / decreases, and the need to graze the force bit against larger enemies, I tend to use the controller here. Often times the nose of my ship is a few pixels away from death. Although I could probobly migrate to an arcade stick with this game, it would just take some practice because there isn't just shot / bomb. You have:

• shot
  • bomb
  • deply / retract force bit
  • speed change
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm
quote : #24
I finally did it: I plunked down almost half of my graduation cash for a HORI Fighting Stick 2. I am hoping I can finally get into those copies of Guilty Gear X, Slipheed and VF4: Evolution that have been sitting neglected on my shelf for years. The controller just doesn't cut it for VF4 after playing on an arcade unit. Mr. Green

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:29 am
quote : #25
Ah an excellent purchase! How much did you pay for it? where did you score it from?
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 am
quote : #26
lordnikon wrote:
Ah an excellent purchase! How much did you pay for it? where did you score it from?

I got it from Play-Asia for $74.80 with s/h. Last time I was on the site, it wasn't in stock, so I figured this might be my last opportunity without having to resort to eBay. Plus, I have a PS2-GC adapter and a PS2-PC adapter, the latter giving me a whole laundry list of games that take advantage of the Hori.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:33 am
quote : #27
Just picked up a logic 3 arcade stick for the huge sum of £1 Mr. Green These any good? I only bought it really to sell as an odd on to a bundle but if its half decent I'll keep it. If no one else knows guess I'll let you guys know. What would be a good type of game to test this with? I'm not the biggest knowledge base on using arcade sticks.

Biggest image I could find http://images.ciao.com/iuk/images/products/normal/976/product-6513976.jpg

Laters
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 am
quote : #28
Blast Definatly sell that stick. Do not keep it. Trying to make whatever profit you can. That arcade stick is garbage.

Go back through this thread and re-read my posts so far. I cover quite a bit of information. You really want to go with a Japanese style arcade stick. Get a PS2 stick, because then you can use it on every single other console on the market with adapters.

Also, ask here for advice before finalising a purchase so I can steer you in the right direction. Arcade Sticks are an investment that will last you. Don't make the mistake of going cheap. You will either regret it, or never fully appreciate what a quality arcade stick can do for you when playing arcade games.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm
quote : #29
Yeh NP as I said I only bought this to sell as an enhancement to a bundle as it was only a £1. Just means on ebay I can title the bundle console/gun/stick/games blah blah makes it sound more attractive. I'll sell it on .

Laters
Posted:
Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:07 pm
quote : #30
After being brushed off by Play-Asia, I was able to finally get ahold of a Hori stick for the PS2. Thanks to nikon for pointing it out. Would've missed out on that if it hadn't been brought to my attention. Can't wait till it gets here! Mr. Green