Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
Razxr
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Neversoft unofficially shut down the THUG, THUG2, and THAW online servers on 07/26/07, due to a person named bi0hacker changing some things within their online servers in an attempt to better the online experience. As a result, players are using bi0hacker's server to play online. As of 12/24/07, THUG2 and THAW are now supported by bi0hacker's server.

[THUG2 / THAW]

You can use almost any online game (the Tony Hawk games do not have this feature) to make this network configuration. Go to the online section of the game and then look for a button that says, "Create/Edit Network Configuration". Click that and then follow the instructions on screen. From there you should be able to create the network configuration.

When asked if you would like to set the DNS server address automatically,

1. Select Manual.

2. Under Primary DNS Address put this in: 63.223.76.173

[THPS4 / THUG]

On THPS4 and THUG, you can simply go into the manual settings and turn off Auto-Obtain DNS Servers? and put in the IP, as in these instructions:

1. On the main menu go to Options

2. Click Network Options

3. Click on Settings

4. Click on Connection Settings

5. Turn Auto-Obtain DNS Servers? Off

6. Under DNS Server 1 put this in: 63.223.76.173

7. Save Settings

8. Reboot PS2

Note: This also works on dial-up.

Tutorial Video (THPS4/THUG):
NOTE: Incorrect IP address used in tutorial video.
Under DNS Server 1 put this in: 63.223.76.173

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW72MvkOkiI

Face in the game is back, works for THUG and THUG2!
http://www.chasesechrist.com/thps/face-in-the-game.php

Additional information such as images, a tutorial video, and troubleshooting can be found in this guide:

http://thlive.net/info/index.php?view=articles&type=2&article_id=131

Last edited by Razxr on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am; edited 3 times in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Razxr wrote:
Neversoft unofficially the shut down THUG, THUG2, and THAW online servers on 07/26/07, due to a person named bi0hacker changing some things within their online servers in an attempt to better the online experience.

I just want to clarrify that this is innaccurate. The server technology was managed by gamespy. If someone was meddling with the online functions of any of the Tony Hawk games, it is GameSpy who would deal with the problem.

This person "bi0hacker" is attempting to improperly take credit for the THPS games going offline.

The real reason these games went offline is because of Activision's innitiative to mirror the business model of Electronic Arts. For every player that is playing one of their older games, they see them as a source of revenue. They force users to upgrade to the latest game by terminating online functions for existing titles. Plus with the shift to newer consoles in the retail market, big companies like Activision are looking to sever ties with these older platforms.
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:56 pm
quote : #3
i do not have a lot of knowledge on this kinds of things. i was wondering most online games are powered by gamespy. if the company lets say for example EA. the game battlefield 2 if they decide to close the servers, but the servers are powered by gamespy can people can create and ip like for tony hawk and keep on playing online or this was done by gamespy itself.

Chase_Sechristr
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:35 pm
quote : #4
Well, you are guys are correct on one thing. GameSpy does handle most of the online portion of the older THPS titles. Which is merely the lobby system and the "Master Server" in which games are listed on the individual lobbies.
Neversoft their selves handled the "Message of the Day" and "Vault" mechanisms independently.
As per GameSpy SDK regulations they must provide credit to GameSpy some where visible on their graphical interface in the game, which unfortunately misleads players into thinking everything is handled by GameSpy Inc.
Activision handled the shutting down of their servers, not GameSpy.
I honestly have no clue how Activision handles public relations, but that is how it really happened.

homeybeef42
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:56 am
quote : #5
Does it matter why this works? The important thing is it does. Now if only people actually were playing THUG online

Razxr
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:54 pm
quote : #6
As of 12/24/07, THUG2 and THAW are now supported by bi0hacker's server. See editied message above for a description of how to connect online with THUG2/THAW.

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:16 pm
quote : #7
Does it work with THPS3?

Razxr
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 am
quote : #8
See edited message above for updated information.

MasquedWarrior
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:28 pm
quote : #9
Of all of the games covered by this, THUG 2 and THAW are the most notable in that those games have no LAN play, and thus can't be played online through tunnelling.

Blast
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:13 am
quote : #10
So in the original message above you have to do these things to get online? I have THUG and I left my Sister in law playing it last night whilst I was on the PC. Quiet surprised to see when I came back half an hour later that she was playing online as I havent set up or even looked at the settings required for THUG online. A few other players were on she was Chels if it was anyone from here.

Laters