Page Location: Home > Sega PS2 Games > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:28 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
What would you do if you heard about SEGA of Japan actually making a new console that catored to Sega Fans in every way possible. Would you guys be excited? Sure you would. What if its lineup featured roughly 70 release, and looked a bit like this...

Perfect Ports of your favorite Sega Arcade/Console games:

• Alien Soldier
  • Bloxeed
  • Decathlete
  • Dragon Force
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade)
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa
  • Fantasy Zone Gear: Opa-Opa Jr.'s Adventure
  • Fighting Vipers
  • Flash Point
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Last Bronx
  • Monster Land
  • Monster Lair
  • Monster World II
  • Monster World III
  • Monster World III
  • Monster World IV
  • NiGHTS into Dreams
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Phantasy Star
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Phantasy Star 2 Text Adventures
  • Phantasy Star Adventure
  • Phantasy Star Gaiden
  • Puyo Puyo 2
  • Sega Rally Championship (Arcade!)
  • Sega Tetris
  • Space Harrier
  • Space Harrier II
  • Space Harrier 3D
  • Super Fantasy Zone
  • Virtua Athlete 2K
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Virtual On Cybertroopers
  • Winter Heat
  • Wonder Boy

Vintage Sega Arcade Games:

• SDI
  • Quartett
  • Head On
  • Tranquilizer Gun
  • Border Line
  • Congo Bongo
  • Doki Doki Penguin Land

Enhanced versions of your Favorite Saturn games:

• NiGHTS into Dreams
  • Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade)
  • Panzer Dragoon

Rare Special Bonus Games:

• Gunstar Heroes PROTOTYPE
  • Deep Scan
  • Periscope

Interesting Remakes of Classic Sega Games:

• Advanced Daisenryaku
  • After Burner II
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Columns
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe
  • Monaco GP
  • OutRun
  • Phantasy Star
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Space Harrier
  • Tant R & Bonanza Bros
  • Virtua Racing

Wouldn't it be cool if these games actually ran like their original arcade/console counterparts, and even added custom resolution & graphic settings so you could tailor the games to your display? With this console being released in Japan, it sure would be great if Sega included english versions of RPG's like the Phantasy Star & Monster World games. So when we import it we could enjoy the Phantasy Star titles in english. Plus wouldn't it be great if they paid homage to all of their classic platforms, including versions of each game on the Game Gear, MARK III, Master System, & Mega Drive?

Well guess what? All of what you see above is a reality, on none other than the Playstation 2. In Japan, the Sega Ages series as well as 2 other special release comprise everything that you see above.

There are a lot of Sega fans here at OnlineConsoles, and I kept wondering why so few people have payed attention to all of these releases. I think some of it has to do with not everyone being setup for imports, but I think it really comes down to people not being informed as to the sheer scope of all these releases.

Here is a cover montage I put together of all the covers. Over 35 individual game releases:

As far as I am concerned this is almost like a mini-sega console if you took a PS2 and all of these games and put them together. All of the Sega Ages games even have their own packaging design that is consistant throughout.

Here is some brief ever so important information about the Sega Ages series on PS2: This whole idea originally started out as an alliance between D3 Publishing and Sega, to do something like the Simple 2000 series games but with Sega properties. They were dubbed as "3D Ages" (when spelled backwards Sega D3). However this plan backfired. Who would have thought taking High Quality game franchises, and making rather shitty slapped together remake budget versions, would piss off fans? It was a real bonehead move on Sega's part. So after a certain set of releases, SEGA started to change everything around and start releasing arcade/console perfect compilations which are nothing short of amazing. The latter half of the releases are all very high quality, while the early releases of these games were the D3 created remakes.

If you plan on collecting these, you can eliminate the need to buy 9 of the Japanese imports, by purchasing the "Sega Classic Collection" that was released in North America and Europe. This collection features the D3 Publishing remakes of OutRun, Golden Axe, Space Harrier, Columns, Alien Syndrome, Fantasy Zone, Monaco GP, Virtua Racing, Tant R & Bonanza Bros. This includes Sega Ages vol. 2-8, 13, & 14. Just remember that these games are at he lower end of the quality spectrum and were designed to be cheap remakes of classic Sega games. It was a mistake, almost all of the latter titles are console/arcade perfect game compilations. It is still worth picking up though since the Space Harrier and Alien Syndrome remakes are actually quite decent.

I would like to state some information about the resolution modes on the 2D games in these compilations. They allow for both low resolution 240i and 240p with scanlines, as well as 480i and 480p with scanlines. There are even alternate resolution modes for certain games so they are closer to their original platform resolutions. Some games had some different setups. These options are amazing, because they let you run these games with scanlines at their proper original low res mode. Other compilations are cheap and you get sprite flicker. Not with the Sega Ages games! No sprite flicker! The graphics looks simply phenominal. Especially on Phantasy Star Complete Collection.

Some import side tips!

1.) To buy Sega Rally Championship, the arcade port, you need to get Sega Rally 2006 1st Print Limited Edition
2.) There are english versions of Monster World 2 & 3 in Monster World Complete
3.) There are english versions of Phantasy Star 1-4 on Phantasy Star Complete Collection!

Some Videos of these titles in action:

NiGHTS into Dreams
Sega Rally Championship
Phantasy Star Generation
Phantasy Star Generation 2
Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box
Galaxy Force II
Monster World Complete
Cyber Troopers Virtual On
Last Bronx
Phantasy Star Complete Collection

Links:
Sega Ages series overview at Hardcore Gaming 101
Official Sega Ages Japanese Website

* phew * took a while to make this thread. Please let leave your comments and questions!

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 am
quote : #2
lordnikon wrote:
There are a lot of Sega fans here at OnlineConsoles, and I kept wondering why so few people have payed attention to all of these releases. I think some of it has to do with not everyone being setup for imports, but I think it really comes down to people not being informed as to the sheer scope of all these releases.

i am a sega fan and your right. i don't have a import set up, or a PS2 atm. so i am a bit uninformed about many of these titles. but i see a few games here that i have for other hardware. mainly ones in the remake section you have posted. i would rather play these games on the original hardware if possible. i am sure i will get a PS2 again in the semi near future. i'm sure i will make use of this list when i do.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:25 pm
quote : #3
Yea obviously only diehards will snatch all or most of these up. However there are many here that have extra features or are very special.

For instance the Panzer Dragoon release was upgraded with a revamped dragon model and improved graphics. They simply tweaked the game slightly so its running on the PS2 rather than emulating the look of the Saturn. They did this for NiGHTS, Dynamite Deka, and Virtual On as well. One game that is a MUST have purchase is Sega Rally 2006, with the bonus disc for Sega Rally Championship. This is not a port of the Saturn game. It is an arcade perfect MODEL Arcade Board port!! See the video above, and notice how smooth the game runs including no background popup, or texture popping. (Though for all of these you can choose to run them in saturn mode).

If you decided to buy the original Alien Soldier on Mega Drive it would cost you over $200.00. However, here you can get the game on the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box for around 25-35 dollars.
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:30 pm
quote : #4
All very tempting probably won't happen for me but it did make take a look at how much a JPN PS2 was going for.
I sure could make a wishlist out of the titles listed there.
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:03 pm
quote : #5
The Sega Ages series is awesome, but unfortunately the only one I've been able to get ahold of was Golden Axe, and it's definitely on the lower end of the quality spectrum. I have played the games on the Sega Classics Collection though.

I only have NA PS2s, so I've been using HDLoader to run Golden Axe off of a HDD with no problems. The issue with HDLoader is that it does a region check on the game disc when you install it, but not before you play it. Basically, this means that once it's installed, you're don't have to worry about region checks anymore. So, if you mount the hard drive in your PC and install it there, you can bypass the region check. It's just a matter of finding out which games are compatible with being played off of a hard drive.

The ones I really want to pick up are Virtua Racing (60fps!), Sega Rally, After Burner II, the Treasure Box, and the Phantasy Star Complete Collection. It would be nice to have Outrun, but I'll probably just pickup Coast 2 Coast instead.

I've got a bunch of the games from the Ages series on their original platforms already, or on other platforms (Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox includes the original Panzer Dragoon, the Genesis Collection for the PS2 includes Phantasy Star II-IV, etc) but being able to play upgraded versions of some of these games would be pretty damn awesome.

Nikon, was the firmware for the Memor32 ever updated to allow booting of import games? That may be the cheapest/easiest way for people who don't have HDDs or JPN PS2s to play Sega Ages games.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun May 17, 2009 4:11 am
quote : #6
Einhander, the Virtua Racing Sega Ages release found as a standalone in japan and on the Sega Classics Collection is not really the original Virtua Racing. It is a remake of the arcade game, rather than a port or emulation. Also it wasn't headed up by Sega themselves, as are all of the early Sega Ages games. These early games were sourced out to D3 publishing staff to make. At least its better than the Saturn version of Virtua Racing which Time Warner Interactive completly butchered.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun May 17, 2009 5:42 pm
quote : #7
Yeah, I have the Saturn version. It's kinda fun, but considering the game was flat shaded, it should have performed a lot better. That, and the five second music clips that play whenever you pass a checkpoint are terrible.

I have never actually played the original arcade game, or it's Genesis or 32X versions. Should I try to find the Genesis version, or should I wait until I can get ahold of a 32X and get Virtua Racing Deluxe?

leox001
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:04 pm
quote : #8
Wow, Nights into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon, I always wanted to play those and I didn't knew they were in the SEGA AGES series, MUST-GET them, though they must be ultra-rare to find and really expensive, could they be in eBay??

Thanks for the info !!

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:37 pm
quote : #9
Recently I've been playing Japanese games, more specifically games from compilations or re-releases, the Simple 2000 and Sega Ages 2500 series. Hokuto no Ken is definitely way up there even though it's very simple considering it was a direct remake but the hour it took me to beat it was pretty awesome. Definitely enjoyed Dynamite Deka as well since i only played the second one on Dreamcast but found it a bit more difficult so probably going to get someone for co-op next time I play. I feel bad for the OutRun remake for getting such a bad rep but I can understand the expectations many had going for it since OutRun 2 SP blew it out of the water.
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 pm
quote : #10
If I didn't know the history behind how Outrun and many other of the "3D Ages" games came into being, then I would surely have a much more sour taste in my mouth over their existance. However, considering the fact that Sega redeemed themselves be releasing flat out the BEST retro video game compilations ever made, I can set any negative feelings aside and see the 3D Ages games as quirky takes on tried and true sega franchises.

I still don't own Hokuto No Ken yet. I should pick that one up.
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:25 pm
quote : #11
The arcade ports were THE BEST, it was my first time playing the arcade version of Bonanza Bros. and seeing the more detailed sprites including the higher quality sound samples. The remakes on the System 16 compilation were also pretty interesting and enjoyed the tank shooter more than the rest of the games on that comp, probably spent a few hours on it and expecting to rack up more time on it once my CRT gets here. Another arcade port that I enjoyed the heck out of is The Last Bronx but very terrible at it against the higher stage AI. Really want to check out Virtual-On in a LAN environment after reading it has LAN capabilities but nobody I know likes playing old school or niche games even though I have the equipment ready to go.

I'm kind of cheating though since I'm using backups to play non US region games and got most of the collection up to volume 31.