Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:03 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I never quite noticed, but did they redo the Dualshock 2 controllers at some point? I ask this because I have a controller that went bad on me that has minute specs of glitter in it and it's also really glossy. The new one I bought to replace it threw me because it had no glitter on it and it feels more plasticy.
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:22 pm
quote : #2
I've noticed the same thing when I bought my Slim last Christmas. The new controller didn't feel quite as sturdy as my old one. I also noticed the absence of glitter on the new controller.

My theory is that Sony was using the same components in both the DS1 and DS2 controllers around 2000-2002. When the DS1 was canned, Sony likely went ahead and re-designed the DS2 (code for: retooled the design for the worst to cut costs).

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:02 pm
quote : #3
TheMytho wrote:
I've noticed the same thing when I bought my Slim last Christmas. The new controller didn't feel quite as sturdy as my old one. I also noticed the absence of glitter on the new controller.

My theory is that Sony was using the same components in both the DS1 and DS2 controllers around 2000-2002. When the DS1 was canned, Sony likely went ahead and re-designed the DS2 (code for: retooled the design for the worst to cut costs).

AHA! I thought this shit was different. I at one point bought an offbrand one that looks exactly like the real deal (minus the logo and colored buttons) and it had that same plasticky feel to it to. Now I have three sucky controllers and I gotta make do with the newer official one. You better believe I'll buy the OG DS2 controller if I ever see one.
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:15 pm
quote : #4
Another good alternative to the OG DS2 is a DS1. I have only used a DS1 for a limited time, but it also felt sturdy and was around the same quality as the old DS2. You should be able to use the DS1 on all PS2 games except for the ones who require analog buttons (for pressure sensitivity).

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:07 pm
quote : #5
even the ps2 memory cards look redesinged, my old ps2 memory card i got in like 2001 is made in japan and has heavier plastic than the newer official sony ones i buy. The new ones are also made in china now.
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:46 pm
quote : #6
maybe SONY wanted to save up some money or is trying to recover a serious loss of money(if you know what I mean!!!)
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:41 am
quote : #7
yea first time i picked up my new ps2 controller i noticed right away that it didn't quite feel right. iv'e had it for about a year now and even now when i pick it up it feels a little off.

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:34 am
quote : #8
my sticks still fell newish but some buttons are getting a little bit wierd when i press them(almost like if they are stuck or something) but they still work and the preassure sensitivity is fine... Razz

I have 2 imitation controllers that look and feel exactly like the official ones...except they don't have any kind of SONY related logos, but they do have the other stuff printed on them like the X, O, and triangle. They are both in great shape and haven't dulled out as much like my 3 other official ones.

I have like 12 PS2 controllers. 1 of the 3 official ones was forgoteen by some dude that came to visit and never asked for the controller back. the 2 immitation ones where given to me by a friend who got them with a multi-tap but didn't want them. 4 of them are the FPS Advantage contrllers by Gamester. and the last one is another one by Gamester, it is 2 controllers attached to some box with switches and i think they're called VS [something] Controllers; it is mainly used in fighting games or airplane games(i think) and the small box with switches is used to cancel out the other controllers functions or something...so its a back and forth brawl of who can cancel out who's powers or missles between the two undetachable controllers attached to the little box...

well, i think 3rd party manufatures deliver higher quality controllers than those of SONY, but then again it's all based on taste and what the consumer is looking for!
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:29 am
quote : #9
Kannibal wrote:
my sticks still fell newish but some buttons are getting a little bit wierd when i press them(almost like if they are stuck or something) but they still work and the preassure sensitivity is fine... Razz

I have 2 imitation controllers that look and feel exactly like the official ones...except they don't have any kind of SONY related logos, but they do have the other stuff printed on them like the X, O, and triangle. They are both in great shape and haven't dulled out as much like my 3 other official ones.

Yea, the L1/R1 buttons always seem to go first on mine. Probably from all that damn THUG online in the past....

Kannibal wrote:

4 of them are the FPS Advantage contrllers by Gamester. and the last one is another one by Gamester, it is 2 controllers attached to some box with switches and i think they're called VS [something] Controllers; it is mainly used in fighting games or airplane games(i think) and the small box with switches is used to cancel out the other controllers functions or something...so its a back and forth brawl of who can cancel out who's powers or missles between the two undetachable controllers attached to the little box...

I've always wondered what one of those airflow controllers are like. I think I read about that box you mentioned in an issue of unofficial PSM.
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:20 am
quote : #10
where the controllers irremovable like mine? or was it just the box? BTW, since i live in downtown Los Angeles (until I get a better job), there is this one store that really likes to gamble their business in a way..they are always lying to the consumers about the product. I saw some very close look-alike DS2 controllers that said "Rumble Shock" in PS font and the guy said that they where freaking authentic...I was confused either because he thought I was stupid or because I looked at them weird and he though I didn't know any better(big time XD). I told the guy that those are imitations and that it was illeagal to tell people that kind of stuff and banned me from his store Shocked
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:48 pm
quote : #11
Kannibal wrote:
where the controllers irremovable like mine? or was it just the box? BTW, since i live in downtown Los Angeles (until I get a better job), there is this one store that really likes to gamble their business in a way..they are always lying to the consumers about the product. I saw some very close look-alike DS2 controllers that said "Rumble Shock" in PS font and the guy said that they where freaking authentic...I was confused either because he thought I was stupid or because I looked at them weird and he though I didn't know any better(big time XD). I told the guy that those are imitations and that it was illeagal to tell people that kind of stuff and banned me from his store Shocked

I think it was just the box itself. Laughing Laughing Funny story. It's always "yeeeea no thanks" when people try to jack me like that.
Posted:
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:17 am
quote : #12
lol...I would buy it just to try it dude! if i don't like it I'll force a refund somehow Smile