Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Laughing After seeing this ridiculous intro, I want to give it a go. To be honest, I haven't really ran across any favorable professional or everyday user reviews for it so I don't know....
Posted:
Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:39 am
quote : #2
Streetwise is a bit of a bust. It was developed by Capcom USA, who made the Maximo games on the PS2 which were decent. The problems started when Capcom of Japan specifically instructed that Capcom USA's dev team make Streetwise tailored to the US market. So you are left with this boring, uninspired, typical beatemup that is a smack in the face to any fan of traditional beatemups. Capcom USA wanted to make the game like the 2D Final Fight games, with lots of color and all Japanese looking, but the dumb marketing idiots in Japan turned the idea down.

I would avoid Final Fight Streetwise, and look into Namco's Urban Reign instead. There is also Beatdown Fists of Vengeance, but Urban Reign is far better. It even has some unlockable Tekken characters. If you are looking a for a step up from the gritty city themes, you should check out God Hand or Crimson Tears.
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Streetwise is a bit of a bust. It was developed by Capcom USA, who made the Maximo games on the PS2 which were decent. The problems started when Capcom of Japan specifically instructed that Capcom USA's dev team make Streetwise tailored to the US market. So you are left with this boring, uninspired, typical beatemup that is a smack in the face to any fan of traditional beatemups. Capcom USA wanted to make the game like the 2D Final Fight games, with lots of color and all Japanese looking, but the dumb marketing idiots in Japan turned the idea down.

Ah, I heard good things about the Maximo series. Surpising the developers went left on Streetwise then....I think the street aspect would've been nice if it didn't come off so cheesy. That video reminded me of True Crime:NYC where NPCs were just dropping massive amounts of F-bombs which made me take the story and everything else about 90% less serious.

lordnikon wrote:
I would avoid Final Fight Streetwise, and look into Namco's Urban Reign instead.

I was wowed by Urban Reign when I first saw some footage of it, but it confused me because it looked more like a fighting game rather than a beat em up.

lordnikon wrote:
There is also Beatdown Fists of Vengeance

Saw some gameplay and read about that one a little. It looks interesting and a couple people said it's what the new Final Fight should've been.

lordnikon wrote:
If you are looking a for a step up from the gritty city themes, you should check out God Hand or Crimson Tears.
I've been contemplating God Hand for a good minute now; reviewers don't seem to, but gamers give it maddd praise.