Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55173

This doesn't list Tribes: AA, but it will be affected because "T:AA used the Tribes2 match server." ( http://www.10thumbsup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33189 )

Remember, Tribes: AA defaults to a LAN search when the main server is unreachable, which means it is still possible to tunnel.

EDIT: Thanks for clarifying my title.

MasquedWarrior
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, it uses the same masterlist as the PC equivalent? Interesting. That means that if Sierra releases the Tribes 2 masterlist software to the public, which is likely, as that's a standard practice for online PC games, we may not need to tunnel in order to continue to play it online. You'd just have to set the "Primary DNS" setting to the IP address of a server someone else already set up. I don't think the TAADS lets you manually set the IP address it sends the heartbeat to, though. But if people could figure out how to modify that to allow more than 16 players to join, I can't imagine changing the IP address wouldn't be too difficult, either.

BTW: Has anyone checked to see if the game's master server has indeed been taken down? I don't have access to my copy of TAA right now.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 am
quote : #3
MasquedWarrior wrote:
So, it uses the same masterlist as the PC equivalent? Interesting. That means that if Sierra releases the Tribes 2 masterlist software to the public, which is likely, as that's a standard practice for online PC games, we may not need to tunnel in order to continue to play it online. You'd just have to set the "Primary DNS" setting to the IP address of a server someone else already set up. I don't think the TAADS lets you manually set the IP address it sends the heartbeat to, though. But if people could figure out how to modify that to allow more than 16 players to join, I can't imagine changing the IP address wouldn't be too difficult, either.

1.) TAA connects to a Tribes 2 master list URL, but the protocal isn't 100% identical. There are alternate Tribes 2 master list applications available. They do not work with TAA.

2.) It is NOT standard practice for any company to release a master list. That is not standard practice for PC games. In almost every situation the community has to find ways to resurrect a game themselves.

3.) You can't simply set the Primary DNS to connect to the IP address of a server. The DNS field is for accessing a domain resolving service. You would need to point the DNS to a seperate DNS server, which would then resolve the TAA Master List to an alternate IP.

4.) Allowing more than 16 players involves editing the source code. It is not that simple if there is no access to the source code and all that we have is a compiled executable for the dedicated server.

5.) Changing the connect location of the dedicated server software is possible via simple hex editing. However changing the master list location on the TAA disc is a whole nother situation entirely. That would require some sort of gameshark/codebreaker. Which is going the long way around. What we would do is setup an alternate DNS server, and users would create a new network connection specifically for TAA.

MasquedWarrior wrote:
BTW: Has anyone checked to see if the game's master server has indeed been taken down? I don't have access to my copy of TAA right now.

I play another game by Sierra online on the PC, so the master list is still online. It was highly unlikely they were going to take the master list down on a Saturday. Most likely sometime this week or next. Remember, online services are announced to go offline, but rarely go offline on time (unless it is a japanese company).

---

As a side note, we no longer use the dedicated server software here anymore. With a limited player base, bots are critical for filling in the player roster. You can only use bots when hosting from a PS2.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:28 pm
quote : #4
Thank you for straightening all of that out. As you can probably tell, I don't actually know that much about networking; I just recently learned how to change my router's settings to forward ports. Speaking of which, I am running a server in the background. I'm getting the message, "master_server: Unable to register with [my ip address]:28000." I'm not sure if this means that the master server is down, or that my ports aren't forwarded correctly. I'm troubleshooting it now.

Dreamcast ™
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:34 am
quote : #5
The game's master list was taken offline sometime yesterday (November, 03 2008).

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 am
quote : #6
Yea I can confirm the same as well. Other PC sierra games also fail to access their masterlists. This is a really strange feeling having to add Tribes Aerial Assault to the Terminated section in the Online Game List.