Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
Blacksmith
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Alright, whatever the new master list is, it's not working. Just tonight I decided to test it and had a friend look for a server I was hosting. We've both created new networks with the IP address given in the new master list article into the primary DNS field, but all it does is simply sit there continously saying "Working..."

I also saw something else in some logs on my router page.

Quote:
FRI NOV 28 00:52:11 2008
DNS: Unknown host: 'ntkrnlpa.cn.myhome.westell.com'

FRI NOV 28 00:52:11 2008
DNS: Unknown host: 'ntkrnlpa.cn'

FRI NOV 28 00:37:11 2008

FRI NOV 28 00:37:10 2008

FRI NOV 28 00:33:02 2008
DNS: Truncated response

FRI NOV 28 00:22:07 2008

FRI NOV 28 00:22:07 2008

I have no idea what those are. but since they are DNS, I assume they're coming from the sites' end. Either way, neither of us are able to host servers successfully or something. Is there a way you guys can you give me exact, step by step details on what I need to do to get this working? Just saying "add this IP address to the primary DNS field" seems kinda vague, though I bless Dreamcast for doing this.

P.S. - I'm using a Westell wireless router and my friend is using a Linksys wireless router to connect. If that has something to do with blocking the DNS server, I'd like to know also.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:38 am
quote : #2
Yea we still need to get a step by step tutorial up for this.

You need to add the IP to the primary DNS field in your PS2's network config, and leave the second option as 0.0.0.0

Use TAA's network config tool. In-fact it is what I use whenever I edit or make changes to any of my network configs. Later versions of the config tool can be incompatible with older net files, and are setup for broadband only. So I tend to use TAA's tool as the standard.

Are you trying to host using a Dedicated Server? or from your Playstation 2 Console?

I logged into the OC server and restarted the applications so it generates fresh log data for your attempts. Whatever data that is there in your DNS logs has nothing to do with our DNS server. It is a very very simple app, that only re-directs the domains we specify in a config file. It cannot be used for web browsing or for general PS2 use, and can only be used with TAA.

I may contact DreamcastTM to ask him to implement a appended option that can be run on the file like:

masterlist.exe -l
(The -l being an "L" for logs not a number 1 hehe)

So a more complex log tracking system can be impemented to make sure people are accessing the list. Just to ensure there are no lingering bugs.

Whatever the problems are, we will get them worked out. Half of what goes on here is helping people get their rigs going for playing games online Wink
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:47 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:

Are you trying to host using a Dedicated Server? or from your Playstation 2 Console?

I'm trying to host from my PS2 as I really don't know how to host a dedicated server, though I'd like to if you can tell me how.

EDIT: My friend just told me his game froze on him too, which I've talked about before. Ever since I changed the DNS field to that IP address, any online game I host eventually freezes or while I'm waiting for a list of servers to come up, it keeps blinking "Working..." and freezes. I have never witnessed that in my entire TAA career. There must be something wrong with the master list that's causing this.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 pm
quote : #4
You should be hosting from your PS2, since the Dedicated Server that Ricochette had codded has since become obsolete and for some strange reason has a crippling lag problem.

EDIT:

I ran some tests:

1.) I sat at the master list and hit "Refresh List" over and over again for almost 5 minutes. No freezing, game lockups, or glitches occurred. It would immediatly query the list by going to "Working..." and then would say Refresh List again. So it is retrieving the list just fine.

2.) I hosted a server from my PS2, and let it sit idle for 3 map rotations. The server was hosting properly without any disconnects, glitching, or system freezing.

---

I can't tell if the server you were hosting was your or not, I can only assume. In the master list logs it states that someone hosted a server with the name of "Tribes Server". Instead of hosting from the port range of 28000, it was hosting off of 501xx, with port numbers like 50115, 50124, 50130, and 50189. Four seperate servers were hosted on these ports all from the Same IP Address and each one resulted in a "Server Timed Out" message.

Is your PS2 setup with a static IP address that is set as DMZ in your router? Or do you have an individual port open for hosting a game?
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:18 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:

I can't tell if the server you were hosting was your or not, I can only assume. In the master list logs it states that someone hosted a server with the name of "Tribes Server". Instead of hosting from the port range of 28000, it was hosting off of 501xx, with port numbers like 50115, 50124, 50130, and 50189. Four seperate servers were hosted on these ports all from the Same IP Address and each one resulted in a "Server Timed Out" message.

Is your PS2 setup with a static IP address that is set as DMZ in your router? Or do you have an individual port open for hosting a game?

That must of been me as I've hosted most of my servers under that name. I did try hosting a server using my name, but I guess you didn't see it.

As for your question, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. When I setup my network connection, I choose "Auto" so that it finds the IP address without me putting it in. From there I connect directly to my wireless router. The second question you ask I do not understand at all. Also, what does DMZ mean?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:31 am
quote : #6
Okay then it is as I suspected. You don't have your PS2 / Router configured properly. First I would read over this segment in our Getting Online guide titled "Network Setup for Hosting Games".

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#5

Then I can help you out with any parts you are confused about.