Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow I've gotten so much shit from playstation lately i mean first it was a demo disc,then it was a free issue of OPM with anotha demo disc,then anotha demo disc,thenn i got finally got this certificate for bein in it(now i really feel like a nerd or somethin...to bad i don't have good grades to back it up) and now they gave me this porfolio thingy that i can store games and memory cards in.Amn do any of the other consoles have stuff like this?
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:58 pm
quote : #2
i only got a free magizine (which i bought like... 2 days before), then the demo disc, and the certificate (which says im a pro gamer, and i didnt need to do anything for it! so nnnmmnnm)

i want that portfolio thing! but i dont think it would get here soon in this snow...
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:00 pm
quote : #3
I 've had the prtfolio thingy for a while! The free stuff seems to end there though. Confused

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:18 pm
quote : #4
I got the porfolio thing, too (which came with a PlayStation pen), but no certificate yet. Sad
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:08 pm
quote : #5
I got the portfolio thing earlier this week and got the certificate today! w00t! I hope this means I get chosen for beta testing!! Shocked Shocked

elf2600
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:33 am
quote : #6
i got the portfolieo and the cirtificate... but no demo disks or OPM Razz.

elf
DS-Kingdom Hearts, Advanced Wars 2, Feel The Magic
eMac- World of Warcraft
Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 pm
quote : #7
Yea, free shit rocked. Now all I get these days are super pricey looking flyers for upcoming games that have nothing to do with the PS2 anymore.
Posted:
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:03 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-J
what does GAP stand for? i'm not sure i've heard of it before. however, for a long time i was part of the Playstation Underground when they first started asking people to join. they gave you all kinds of stuff in the mail: free demo discs and other promotional materials. i even got a high quality binder thing with playstation paper inside Laughing.

Last edited by Manji on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:29 am
quote : #9
Ya i was wondering what gap means too, thought you were talking about the store from the title lol.
Posted:
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:00 pm
quote : #10
GAP stands for Gamer Advisory Panel if I remember correctly. I never joined it or the Underground, but back when they were popular I worked at a few game stores (a couple years ago) and used to milk the product reps out of tons of free stuff like that.

It started with me just sweet talking them out of stuff when they stopped by every quarter, and then after a while I figured out I could just call them up and ask for it. I'd call up various numbers at SCEA corporate and tell them I was the manager of my store (I wasn't, I was just a register jockey) and that recently our sales of Playstation products have been falling seriously behind and we are looking for a way to reinvigorate our customers with the Playstation brand or something along those lines, and I was wondering if SCEA could help me in any way. We'd talk for a while, and I'd give them my sales numbers, we'd talk about my visual space allocation (how much space in the store I had dedicated to Sony products, which is paid for), and stuff like that. They'd take my name, phone number, store number, and address, and about a week later I would start getting packages filled with demos, flyers, keychains, lanyards, tons of shirts, even a few copies of Greatest Hits versions of Sony published games from time to time. At one point we had so many cardboard cutouts it was insane. If I couldn't get ahold of a rep I would call someone from retail support and tell them my store wanted to run a storewide tournament for whatever upcoming major Sony published game was going to be released, and I was wondering if they could help out with some prizes. Usually that would net a couple of older games, and always a bunch of shirts and pens and stuff.

The best part was the Sony reps were always really nice, so if you called one from another area (because I had already called the one from mine) and used the same speech, when you got the the part about the store address I would just apologise and say I thought this number was my area and laugh. The rep would laugh and say something like "It's ok, I can run your info through". One call a week to a different rep meant we were swimming in free schwag.

The same trick worked, but not as well, with Microsoft and Nintendo. As far as I could tell, no one ever caught on, and my boss thought it was hilarious.

We kept some of it, but most of the stuff we got we just gave away to customers (usually to entice them to buy an MVP membership). For a while I think the only shirts I wore had some videgame logo on them though. The pay sucked, and it was pretty much the definition of "Dead End Job", but sometimes I miss those days.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 pm
quote : #11
Man, lol that is awesome. I would love tons of free video game crap.