Page Location: Home > Classic Playstation > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:44 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Was pocket station released in the US? I obviously could track this information down myself but I am trying to create a discussion. Wink

I recently got a complete copy of Ridge Racer Type-4, and the game has Pocket Station support. I originally figured this item was a JPN only product.
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:43 pm
quote : #2
I know it was never released in pal land, despite mentions of it in the manual for FF8.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:01 pm
quote : #3
I don't think so, I recall there being talk of it not working that well and the magazine article that mentioned said something to the effect that "maybe it was a good thing it never came to the US"

still i'm not 1000% sure.
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:37 am
quote : #4
It was never released in North America, but from what I understand, a Japanese PocketStation works fine with NA games.

The PocketStation games are basically PS1 game saves, and the PocketStation also functions as a regular 15-block memory card. I know that Japanese PS2s will recognise a PocketStation and display an actual PocketStation icon in the browser, but I don't know if it's the same with PS2s from other regions, or if it just shows up as a regular grey PS1 memory card.

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:50 pm
quote : #5
So it kind of works like a vmu?

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:32 pm
quote : #6
Basically, but instead of transferring data by physically plugging into another Pocketstation, it used IR.

The biggest difference between the PocketStation and the VMU (in terms of minigames) is the VMU was much more widely used. That, and the PocketStation was never released in North America, and I guess only had a limited release in Europe.

Also, since the PocketStation was held in the system and not in the controller, you couldn't use it to show in-game data like the VMU could.

I only own one NTSC game that has PocketStation support (R4), but I'd still like to pick one up.

Manji
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:36 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-J
i remember wanting to get one of these for FFVIII. you got extra items and something like a summon featuring a moomba. you can use it on the u.s. version because the items are in the game, but remain unavailable unless you use the pocketstation, which i remember being mentioned in the official guide.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 am
quote : #8
What is a pocketstation?
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm
quote : #9
lazybum wrote:
What is a pocketstation?

It's a memory card like peripheral, that plugs into the memory card slot of the playstation and can also server as a memory card, if memory serves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_station

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:09 pm
quote : #10
ah, ok it sounded like a handheld system at first.