Posted:
Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
September 19-20th 2009
Players (3): lazybum, noonotthat, TheMytho
Duration: 11:15 PM to 1:15 AM (EDT)

Wow, what the hell went on during this game? It was one of the most insane things ever, with topics ranging from noonotthat cheating to elephant guns to the retardation that was the last game of the night.

Our first games were pretty relaxed, as we played with Automatic Weapons on the Streets level. We were shooting each other while lazybum discussed what he thought of the game. Things were pretty standard, but as the night progressed, we all became a little, just a little, unhinged...

After telling lazy how to access the chat box, we began to mess around, with noonotthat screaming "PINGAS", lazybum talking about bowel movements and zoo animals and me spamming "NUG NUG" when necessary in addition to excerpts from the most brilliant mind of our time, Chad Warren.

The weapons began to get a little screwed up as well. We played a shotguns-only match on the Streets again, which was going well, except for noonotthat's cheating. I swear, he would sit up in this perch and kill us in one hit. lazybum and I accused him of cheating several times, while noonotthat insisted that his gun was both a shotgun and sniper rifle rolled into one.

I likened the gun noonotthat had to an elephant gun, those huge ass rifles that were used back when safari was alive and well. We then all discussed how it was a shame that Cold Winter did not have a safari mode, where you could run around and shoot elephants, photographers and destroy the African countryside.

As a bit of a sick twist, I kept all the shotguns on for the next round, except I added a "SPECIAL WEAPON" that I wouldn't spoil. As we got into the game, I made a beeline for the "SPECIAL WEAPON" and unleashed it on an unsuspecting lazybum, who I roasted to medium well. Can't guess what the "SPECIAL WEAPON" was? It was a nice, beefy flamethrower. Cool

Once the flamethrower was spotted, all hell broke loose. lazybum and noonotthat would bravely charge into the flames, trying to take me down in a war of attrition. They said that trying to deal with the god awful sound the flamethrower made was half the battle. The flamethrower in Cold Winter sounds like a lawnmower engine with a vengeance, as if it is on the verge of exploding. Needless to say, we were really getting crazy at this point.

The next game, I turned all power weapons on, the majority of which were the grenade launchers. It was like Fourth of July, as grenades were flying everywhere, an explosion around every corner.

Our final game was set in a mining pit, grenade launchers only. We all started laughing by just how huge the map was, yet we were having no trouble killing each other, or better yet, ourselves. We all kept trying to jump on the pipeline that ran through part of the level, but would either fall to our deaths or explode in a blaze. I actually made it to the end of the pipeline, but my reign was shortlived. Again, accusations of cheating began running rampant, as I killed noonotthat while he insisted that standing at the end of the pipeline made you invincible. I proved that wrong when I took lazybum out while he was standing at the end of the pipeline, though he also blew me apart.

After the end of that game, we were all exhausted, our minds in disarray by just how idiotic the last game we played was. If the game before was like Fourth of July, the last one must have been like fighting in Normandy during D-Day, as explosions were going off everywhere. My eyes were killing me, as the screen shook the entire time from the explosions.

It's funny that a decent game can be something more when you start making the game settings crazy. Wink
Posted:
Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am
quote : #2
wow, I forgot how crazy this set of games was until reading this and thinking about them again. Too bad I did not record some of the games. But man, that flamethrower has the most ear-splitting sound ever. Plus, the flames blocks your entire screen so you cannot see or hear anything else when someone is shooting it at you. It rapes your senses and makes you numbly stumble around until the bastard with the flamethrower finishes you off lol.
Posted:
Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 pm
quote : #3
sounds like you had a pretty crazy time.

What did you think of Cold Winter lazybum?
Posted:
Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:20 pm
quote : #4
I think it is an average shooter. There is nothing that compelling or revolutionary about it, but it plays decent enough. I find the single player to be a little boring, but it is not terrible. The multiplayer can be fun for a little bit though, but shooters like tribes aerial assault, red faction 2, and timespltiters future perfect make this multiplayer seem very basic in comparison. The developers did a lot of little things that are annoying in cold winter. They make it hard to distinguish whether you are zoomed in or not. This is important because you cannot move faster than a turtle when zoomed in. So when you are fighting someone you will try to run and not realize you are zoomed in, causing you to barely move. Plus they added no wind effect or anything when you are sprinting, so it is also hard to tell when you are sprinting. The most annoying part of the multiplayer though is that they made everything customizable, except for the biggest flaw in the gameplay. There are stupid red arrows that point out where other players are located at all times. The only way to make this dissapear is to crouch. There is no option to turn this feature off. So once someone has an overpowerd gun, they see exactly where you spawn and can come and kill you again before you can run to a better weapon.

Plus, the flamethrower sound is just fucked up. The developers are assholes for hurting our eardrums like that.
Posted:
Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 pm
quote : #5
lol, I haven't heard the flamethrower yet
Posted:
Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:49 pm
quote : #6
There is a sniper rifle shotgun.... I just all ways picked it up be for you guys could get to it...........