Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Dark Cookies
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:32 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Planning on getting Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence but couldn't find one in the game store Sad. I manage to find a new copy of Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Limited Edition which cost $59 (only one copy left)! I wanted Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence because it has the 3D Angle Camera and more new extras feature.

I had just rented Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater (not the limited Edition) just recently and play about 2 hours. I have to say this is my first time playing the Metal Gear Solid series and I am loving it. The top view angle is fine but when it your first time playing it you won't know where the enemies will be patrolling that is why I want Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence. The 3D angle allow you to look forward like in Splinter Cell, Socom etc. You allow to move the camera around Naked Snake and see his surrounding better than the top view (this is just my opinion). This will make it easy for me and enjoy the game a little bit more instead of just using the first person view all the time when entering a new area. I try downloading the extras Camouflages but can't because the list was empty.

Do they stop putting Camouflages for people to download and what the Limited Edition? The Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Limited Edition had a metal cover box which look pretty cool (it not really metal I am just trying to describe what it look and feel like). On the bottom right front cover there a label said "Limited Edition". The front cover background is mostly white with Naked Snake holding his handgun on the left side of the cover. I looked at the back of the cover trying to see what extras it had been added to this "Limited Edition" but couldn't really found any (maybe I didn't look hard enough Razz).

If anybody have any information about the Limited Edition of Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater please post it here. And is it worth buying? I know this game is really good but the price is too high. This is the only game store that only got the new copy. Any suggestion? (note: please don't mention buying it from the internet thank you)
Posted:
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
What you are referring to is the PAL limited edition of Snake Eater. I will have to do more searching to see what makes that version special. Obviously, its a Limited Edition game for a very famous game franchise... so the LE is going to be expensive. I can't make any recommendations on where to buy Metal Gear games in stores because I don't live in your area. Sorry.

The camoflauge download service has been terminated. Though all "3" or so of the new camo's were included in Subsistence. The Download feature was something that Konami never took full advantage of, which was a real shame.

As for MGS3 Subsistance, yes it does have the 3D aiming camera angle, but also every other MGS game prior controls from the top view. Since you have no experience playing the MGS games, and are coming from a rigid perspective of playing other titles, I would try and give the overhead perspective another try. Free aiming is nice, but the top down view is also nice as well. They are just 2 different gameplay schemes really. The top down perspective does let you survey the overall area much more. MGS is not a run and gun shooter.... nor is it Splinter cell or Socom.

The main reason to get Subsistence over Snake Eater is because subsistence has a bonus disc with the MSX games on it. The original 2 metal gear games released for the MSX computer in Japan. If you want to experience the entire MGS franchise you will need this bonus disc.
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 am
quote : #3
Ah, you made a good choice of this as your intro to the MGS series. I couldn't get into it as much since it was based in the past, hence there was less big surprises to REALLY draw me into the story. Kinda like that movie Valkyrie; probably an interesting story, but what's the good seeing it if my history books already told me the ending??
Posted:
Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:58 am
quote : #4
I am wondering that you can only find such an expensive copy. Even here in Germany, where everything gaming-related is overpriced, i found that steel case copy of MGS3 for ~$30. Anyway, the game is really good and has a great replay value. The story is outstanding, as are the graphics, the gameplay and the music. A very good game.
Posted:
Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:03 am
quote : #5
I had brought Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater Limited Edition and finished the game. The limit Edition and the original don’t seem to have any differences. I only finished the limited edition of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater but I assume that the original also got the same feature as the limited edition such as Duel Mode (Boss battle), demo theatre (watch cut scenes from the game) and two extras stage in Monkey vs Snake. Can’t really understand why they put the Limited Edition label on the cover if there aren’t any extras features added on the game. I may be wrong since I haven’t tried the one without the Limited Edition label on it. If anyone have information please reply.
Posted:
Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm
quote : #6
I think that the Limited Edition is based on MGS3: Subsistence, which has a new Camera Angle. The orginal MGS3 has a Top-Down look, whereas the Subsistence version has a free camera. I've played the original one and sold it (sad). Now I want the Subsistence Version.... Over 40 Euros, thats expensive. But the new Camera and the addition of the 2D based MSX metal Gears sounds awesome!
Posted:
Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 am
quote : #7
I am not glad that they excluded the Disc 2 of MGS3 regardless if it the Online stuff didn't work!

bit I guess we can say that Konami/Hideo Kojima probably thought that most people would turn to emulation if they wanted to play the sprite based Metal Gear games